• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
TS Jose

GO 91L GO!

UPDATED...SHOWER ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE SMALL LOW PRESSUREAREA LOCATED ABOUT 160 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF BERMUDA HASINCREASED THIS MORNING. WHILE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE NOT FAVORABLEFOR SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT...THERE IS A CHANCE FOR THIS SYSTEM TOBECOME A TROPICAL CYCLONE TODAY BEFORE CONDITIONS BECOME EVEN LESSFAVORABLE. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OFBECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVESGENERALLY NORTHWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH SOME GUSTY WINDS COULD AFFECTBERMUDA TODAY...AND INTERESTS ON BERMUDA SHOULD MONITOR THEPROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

GO 91L GO!

UPDATED...SHOWER ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE SMALL LOW PRESSUREAREA LOCATED ABOUT 160 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF BERMUDA HASINCREASED THIS MORNING. WHILE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE NOT FAVORABLEFOR SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT...THERE IS A CHANCE FOR THIS SYSTEM TOBECOME A TROPICAL CYCLONE TODAY BEFORE CONDITIONS BECOME EVEN LESSFAVORABLE. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OFBECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVESGENERALLY NORTHWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH SOME GUSTY WINDS COULD AFFECTBERMUDA TODAY...AND INTERESTS ON BERMUDA SHOULD MONITOR THEPROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

WOOOOOO JOSE!

weird... I wonder why the upgraded this thing. :huh: There's no deep convection left, it's going to dissipate in 36 hr anyway, I'd personally do a CYA after the 0% probability just a couple of TWO's ago, and Irene is still a big time/resource/manpower-sink right now.

I'd argue this was a tropical cyclone at least part of last night with deep convection... plenty of time for the Post Report to fix instead of having to add a tropical cyclone to the record. Also with Bermuda nearby, I think they didn't want to take chances in-case it flares up again.

Anyway here is the advisory...

r23zer.png

Not naked anymore. Sheared and pitiful yes, but ASCAT definitely supported a TS if there was organized convection which it has had most of the time the last 24 hours.

This ASCAT pass is >12 hours old

FGL1U.png

The latest pass only had a partial, but shows some decent winds, not only 1 or two wind vectors

JttRW.png

No, would not say ignore them, but perhaps the time is coming where we need a category like "marginal TS" that separates out the brief 35-45 kt storms in mid-ocean from the main pack. Perhaps the convention should be to name storms only if they last 48 hours or exceed 45 mph sustained, in cases where no land impact is expected. It would not be that difficult to go back over the last 40-50 years and adjust the counts, then we stand some chance of maintaining the integrity of the historical records. Does anyone really feel this is a ten-storm season to August 28th? Feels more like a three-storm season.

No, would not say ignore them, but perhaps the time is coming where we need a category like "marginal TS" that separates out the brief 35-45 kt storms in mid-ocean from the main pack. Perhaps the convention should be to name storms only if they last 48 hours or exceed 45 mph sustained, in cases where no land impact is expected. It would not be that difficult to go back over the last 40-50 years and adjust the counts, then we stand some chance of maintaining the integrity of the historical records. Does anyone really feel this is a ten-storm season to August 28th? Feels more like a three-storm season.

The "integrity of the historical records" is code for accepting mediocrity. The historical records have no integrity...they are riddled with error.

Like it or not, the determination of what is or isn't a storm should be made by the best available science, not whether something "feels" like a storm. We've had a ton of crappy storms, but they all met the objective(ish) criteria established for tropical storms.

Yeah, I'm really tired of people bitching every time a TC like this gets classified. It meets the definition of a tropical storm, so it gets classified as such. No one cares what it was like in the 1930s, and our technology is exponentially better now to be able to classify things of this sort.

A TS is a TS, period. Just look at the observations in Bermuda.

Yeah, I'm really tired of people bitching every time a TC like this gets classified. It meets the definition of a tropical storm, so it gets classified as such. No one cares what it was like in he 1930s, and our technology is exponentially better now to be able to classify things of this sort.

A TS is a TS, period. Just look at the observations in Bermuda.

For the record, I don't doubt this is a TC. I was just surprised they decided to upgrade when Irene was landfalling in NYC and after convection had decreased for a few hours; I would've thought that they would just add it in the post-season analysis or upgrade later.

Archived