joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/9-12/10 clipper before cutter?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First signs of this system are already here!

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/lrgnamsfcwbg.gif

Very noticeable pressure trough in British Colombia, from column stretching in the lee side of the Rockies. It's just gonna get bigger and bigger from here. I think it'll be a nice clipper, perhaps more than expected if the Gulf can open up a little earlier than projected.

12z NAM coming in pretty robust across wisconsin with the clipper.

Then it does its typical weakening process before it gets to SE MI. I am starting to think the great lakes kill storms somehow, You would think it would be the other way since low pressures usually form or become stronger over water.

Then it does its typical weakening process before it gets to SE MI. I am starting to think the great lakes kill storms somehow, You would think it would be the other way since low pressures usually form or become stronger over water.

Actually, that is not typical. Often times clippers strengthen once they cross the Lake MI because of lake enhancement, so its quite common for Detroit to do better with a clipper than Milwaukee. However, this clipper wont strengthen as it crosses lake MI because it is basically WAA snow ahead of a warm front, instead of northwest winds bringing cold air over the lake waters to give enhancement. Nevertheless, the NAM usually has too thin a swath of strongest qpf on a clipper, so while its a little discouraging to see what it does here, all the other models have been very consistent. Id say a 1-2" call is good.

Archived