• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are my preliminary guesstimates.

JFK 101-102

NYC 102-103

LGA 102-103

EWR 104-105

Good work. Bluewave was all over this event from about a week out, too.

I believe ag3 and TheTrials also had predictions for Newark breaking the record.

I think EWR will ultimately make a run at 105. The problem is going to be the dew points and the atrocious heat index values that will follow.

Nick Gregory just upped his high temp for NYC to 102 for tomorrow. :arrowhead:

Makes sense. Winds should be westerly again and no real threat for rain other than isolated storms that rush the cap. At 850mb it's still 22C or so, supportive of 100 degree heat if there's full/mostly sun. Looking at the NAM, seabreeze is nonexistent tomorrow as well outside of maybe the immediate beaches. It's hard to imagine Newark hitting 108 again, but certainly 100-103 for many is possible given what we have. The real mechanism to cool us down doesn't come until Sunday, and even then it could still be over 90.

Joe B on his twiiter:

108 at EWR today? Everytime I go by that airport, my car thermistor is 3-5 lower! Where is that therm located? too warm based on obs around
In Met 461 ( instrumentation) we learned errors amplify with heat on therms that may be corrected at 0c, As they move up, they read warm
What Upton NWS should do ( old school). Test therm in lab at 108 with 5 other therms calibrated with EWR therm at 0C. Even LGA only 103
over 90% of thermometer errors are because they will read too warm. Too many things to make them read warm if not perfectly taken care of
Acy all time record of 106 in July 1969 was shown to be off by over 5 degrees at 100 degrees that year. No one changed the record tho
By the way.. it was amazingly hot, that is not what this tweet storm is challenging. It was probably not 108 at ewr, but more like 105

I may bust on my call for Newark to drop into the 80s tonight..we will see

It was 91 at this time last night on the way to a low of 86 so its gonna be close John. I'll say 89 for a low though. How much cooler do you think its really gonna end up tomorrow? I would think the heat index at the very least will still exceed 104 for 2+ hours especialkly if were starting at 90 degrees! So thats why I'm surprised they didnt just continue the heat warning. I'll take their word for it though

Archived