Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
100 Degree Or Higher Heat Signal For Our Area This Week

bluewave

Statement as of 2:29 PM EDT on July 23, 2011

... Record high temperature set at Kennedy NY...

a record high temperature of 102 degrees was set at Kennedy NY today.

This breaks the old record of 100 set in 1972.

Wow, the sun really did a number on them! How hot do you think it would have gotten there today with full sun all day?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, theyve avoided most of the clouds. Still a scorcher none the less. Sunday looks mostly sunny and I think we ride higher than guidance.

I think we would have at least equaled yesterday without these clouds-- maybe gone even higher, especially at JFK, which is only one short of what they hit yesterday.

iPhone has the new EWR observation at 100...not sure if it's correct or not.

New obs has them still at 101, John. It would be crazy if the status quo held and JFK's high was a degree higher than Newark's. I'm thinking Newark gets to 103 at least.

iPhone has the new EWR observation at 100...not sure if it's correct or not.

Mostly cloudy there right now but by 330 or so, they should break out into full sun and maybe set a late afternoon high 103 or so if they havent reached it already. 102 is the high so far, 100 at the park.

3pm:

EWR: 101

LGA: 98

NYC: 98

JFK: 98

Yup, the clouds are bringing us all down lol. I dont even know how we got to 102 at 2:30! My weather station is spot on when it's cloudy so the 101.7 it reported around then was matched by JFK.

Mostly cloudy there right now but by 330 or so, they should break out into full sun and maybe set a late afternoon high 103 or so if they havent reached it already. 102 is the high so far, 100 at the park.

I hope so Tony, but by the looks of it, it seems as though those breaks will stay west of us; the clouds seem to be building more the further east you go-- maybe in response to higher dew points?

And as I typed that it has gone sunny here again lol.

I hope so Tony, but by the looks of it, it seems as though those breaks will stay west of us; the clouds seem to be building more the further east you go-- maybe in response to higher dew points?

And as I typed that it has gone sunny here again lol.

Yeah maybe in/out sun for a while longer. More sun than clouds here in C-NJ. 101 on my station. Still hot enough and glad we broke 100's and some records. Looks hot tomorrow then again the middle and later next week. I havent seen the euro yet but the gfs still scorching next weekend. Little precip too.

Yeah maybe in/out sun for a while longer. More sun than clouds here in C-NJ. 101 on my station. Still hot enough and glad we broke 100's and some records. Looks hot tomorrow then again the middle and later next week. I havent seen the euro yet but the gfs still scorching next weekend. Little precip too.

Think we can break records again later next week and weekend? I want to see 100+ again lol.

It's overcast here again but I'm happy we got to 102 here. :)

I'll re-post a little burb that I wrote on the NE side since some of you "kids" born after about the early 1970's probably can't remember it.....

I recall that day in July 1977 when Central Park had the last 104F. I was actually in Germany visiting family and read about it in the International Herald Tribune, we all dreaded the return to that junk. The blackout hit NYC also then. Then the day we flew back into JFK a strong cfropa was underway and it was violent with lots of CC lightning strikes visible from the plane. I believe I crossed the front over LI and when we got to Kennedy the sun was out and it was through. That was the end of most heat for that Summer as the whole pattern flipped.

Oh that was the summer of the Son of Sam and Billy and George fights also......

I'll re-post a little burb that I wrote on the NE side since some of you "kids" born after about the early 1970's probably can't remember it.....

I recall that day in July 1977 when Central Park had the last 104F. I was actually in Germany visiting family and read about it in the International Herald Tribune, we all dreaded the return to that junk. The blackout hit NYC also then. Then the day we flew back into JFK a strong cfropa was underway and it was violent with lots of CC lightning strikes visible from the plane. I believe I crossed the front over LI and when we got to Kennedy the sun was out and it was through. That was the end of most heat for that Summer as the whole pattern flipped.

Oh that was the summer of the Son of Sam and Billy and George fights also......

And we were in a two year weak el nino and the following winter was absolutely amazing. How many total 90 degree days did NYC have in 1977? Any info would be appreciated, as Im working under the premise that these spike in 11 year cycles.

And we were in a two year weak el nino and the following winter was absolutely amazing. How many total 90 degree days did NYC have in 1977? Any info would be appreciated, as Im working under the premise that these spike in 11 year cycles.

NYC

39 days of 90's - 1993 & 1991

NYC

39 days of 90's - 1993 & 1991

Yes I know but those were at extreme solar maximum (we set records in the early 90s!) 2010 was actually a much hotter summer and NYC should have have had way more 90 degree days were it not for the foliage issue. LGA and JFK easily beat all their old records.

Archived