amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
100 Degree Or Higher Heat Signal For Our Area This Week

bluewave

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with 10,000 posts....it's gotta be a joke.

haha it is ;) Well, sarcasm to be precise. I find this kind of weather much more exciting than severe weather so I'm making a commentary on how small the coverage is with thunderstorms and how much more awesome big heat is because it covers a much larger area.

Severe weather is a short lasting cheap thrill. I wouldn't mind it not raining at all all summer.

I hope it happens.

I believe we're close to setting a record for most consecutive winters without a subzero low.

I was right about the sun coming out too late to do much about raising the temps-- they've either stayed the same or dropped since it came out. In extreme heat we usually see our highs between 1 and 3.

I'll re-post a little burb that I wrote on the NE side since some of you "kids" born after about the early 1970's probably can't remember it.....

I recall that day in July 1977 when Central Park had the last 104F. I was actually in Germany visiting family and read about it in the International Herald Tribune, we all dreaded the return to that junk. The blackout hit NYC also then. Then the day we flew back into JFK a strong cfropa was underway and it was violent with lots of CC lightning strikes visible from the plane. I believe I crossed the front over LI and when we got to Kennedy the sun was out and it was through. That was the end of most heat for that Summer as the whole pattern flipped.

Oh that was the summer of the Son of Sam and Billy and George fights also......

There were still days in August 1977 where temps did get over 90..but that was it for the opressive heat..actually by Aug 25th or so..If i remember correctly there was a early fall airmass..but yes July 1977 was quite a hot month in the city...for many reasons!

Guest Pamela

It now appears that the absolute worst is behind us and the autumnal equinox is a mere 62 days away....:snowman:

Guest Pamela

It now appears that the absolute worst is behind us and the autumnal equinox is a mere 62 days away....:snowman:

Though, in fairness, as the Romans often noted, "...when Sirius rises with the sun, mark the dog days well begun..."

Guest Pamela

We are a month removed from the summer solstice. So essentially in the winter, it would be January 20th or so.

The Jan. 20 timeframe is generally the coldest part of the year, as the July 20th timeframe is generally the hottest...

Guest Pamela

Though, in fairness, as the Romans often noted, "...when Sirius rises with the sun, mark the dog days well begun..."

Astronomically 7/3 - 8/11....

Astronomically 7/3 - 8/11....

The Dog Days ;) Although that part of the sky (which includes some of the greatest celestial wonders visible from earth.... Sirius....Orion's belt.... M42....Rigel....Betelgeuse) is best seen in the fall and winter (and that's when the Orionid meteor shower peaks, in October.)

Speaking of meteor showers.... dont miss the Perseids, which are my favorites, since they occur during a time of year when it's fun to be outside all night. And they usually have some fireballs associated with them, so they're well worth the wait. They peak around Aug 11-14.

It doesnt even get that hot where you live, William :P

And dont forget we have another big heat wave next weekend-- after that, we shall see, I might be inclined to agree with you once August rolls around. :)

Guest Pamela

The Dog Days ;) Although that part of the sky (which includes some of the greatest celestial wonders visible from earth.... Sirius....Orion's belt.... M42....Rigel....Betelgeuse) is best seen in the fall and winter (and that's when the Orionid meteor shower peaks, in October.)

Speaking of meteor showers.... dont miss the Perseids, which are my favorites, since they occur during a time of year when it's fun to be outside all night. And they usually have some fireballs associated with them, so they're well worth the wait. They peak around Aug 11-14.

You see Alex, the Romans mistakenly believed that Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, was a key contributing factor to summertime heat because during the July - early August period, it rose in the sky at the same time the sun did....

Guest Pamela

It doesnt even get that hot where you live, William :P

Yes, my 170 feet of elevation works wonders on a day like yesterday....:arrowhead:

Yes, my 170 feet of elevation works wonders on a day like yesterday....:arrowhead:

Yesterday it was over 100 everywhere except out on the east end, but I bet it was much nicer out where you are today, with a northerly wind off the sound ;)

Guest Pamela

Yesterday it was over 100 everywhere except out on the east end, but I bet it was much nicer out where you are today, with a northerly wind off the sound ;)

The thermometer at Upton peaked at 99 yesterday and 95 today...they are 10 miles to me ESE but usually reasonably representative of afternoon maximums where I'm at...though Upton is a good deal colder when it comes to morning minima...

Guest Pamela

Not to be misconstrued that I don't think there will be another (possibly more than one) 100 degree day this summer; but I'm fairly sure Newark has recorded their high temperature for 2011...

Not to be misconstrued that I don't think there will be another (possibly more than one) 100 degree day this summer; but I'm fairly sure Newark has recorded their high temperature for 2011...

Oh yes.... and I wonder if we will live to see that broken one day. I say yes, and I will even take a guess at the year it will happen..... 2021 ;)

The thermometer at Upton peaked at 99 yesterday and 95 today...they are 10 miles to me ESE but usually reasonably representative of afternoon maximums where I'm at...though Upton is a good deal colder when it comes to morning minima...

Nice.... I was wondering about that since I saw quite a few of the north shore PWS on wunderground over 100-- for example, the ones in Centerport and East Northport were both around 103. Out of the official locations only Islip made it to 100 though.

Guest Pamela

Oh yes.... and I wonder if we will live to see that broken one day. I say yes, and I will even take a guess at the year it will happen..... 2021 ;)

I'd offer 2022...the year Soylent Green was set in...

"Still over 90 out there..."

...Detective Thorn

"A heat wave all year round...a greenhouse effect...everything is burning up."

...Sol Roth

"We'll make it cold like winter used to be!"

...Shirl

...Detective Thorn

...Sol Roth

...Shirl

We dont know if these guys' predictions are way too extreme, but I was looking for a site that shows how many 90 degree days we have had each year and found this instead:

http://www.climatece...ver_90_degrees/

...Detective Thorn

...Sol Roth

...Shirl

I just had a mental flashback to that wonderful Twilight Zone episode.....

The temps have actually been dropping ever since the sky completely cleared out at 4..... I wonder if the high overcast we had earlier actually promoted heating because it held the heat in better than a clear sky would. The high overcast would also not really inhibit insolation. So insolation plus insulation means a hotter day than we would have had with a clear sky ;)

Archived