northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
100 Degree Or Higher Heat Signal For Our Area This Week

bluewave

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe GON reached 101 on July 6 last year which tied their all-time high temperature. My weather station, on the coast 20 miles west of Groton briefly reached 94 for a high today with only a few hours of 90+. SE CT through southern RI and the islands (BID, MVY, ACK, etc.) stayed relatively cool.

It sounds like you guys had an onshore wind :( You might be hotter tomorrow than you were today!

No soundings back then, so you'll only get surface temps. TTN was 106 the day before the 110 reading, 104 the day of.

That record has been bothering me ever since you mentioned it last night. :arrowhead: It just doesn't make any sense!

That record has been bothering me ever since you mentioned it last night. :arrowhead: It just doesn't make any sense!

Which one seems less likely, the 106 at NYC or the 110 in NJ? They both seem to be unusually high, but I'll go with the NJ temp since, before today, not one official site in the whole state was even within 2 degrees of it lol.

Anyone have PA state records from back then? What was the hottest they got in 1936? I heard that the PA state record is 111, is that from 1936 too and is it from Eastern PA?

That 108 state record from Troy, NY, what year is that from?

Which one seems less likely, the 106 at NYC or the 110 in NJ? They both seem to be unusually high, but I'll go with the NJ temp since, before today, we never were even within 2 degrees of it lol.

Anyone have PA state records from back then? What was the hottest they got in 1936? I heard that the PA state record is 111, is that from 1936 too and is it from Eastern PA?

July, 1926.

It sounds like you guys had an onshore wind :( You might be hotter tomorrow than you were today!

Wouldn't surprise me, but we'll see. Getting 90+ out that way is tougher than people realize. That area really only averages a few days per year of 90+ and about every other summer we get no 90 degree days. Counting this summer, which of course is far from over, we've had ten 90+ days over the past eight summers.

Wouldn't surprise me, but we'll see. Getting 90+ out that way is tougher than people realize. That area really only averages a few days per year of 90+ and about every other summer we get no 90 degree days. Counting this summer, which of course is far from over, we've had ten 90+ days over the past eight summers.

Yep, last summer was truly crazy in that regard. I believe even Montauk Point hit 100 last summer. So you guys basically average a bit over 1 90 degree day a summer!

Which one seems less likely, the 106 at NYC or the 110 in NJ? They both seem to be unusually high, but I'll go with the NJ temp since, before today, not one official site in the whole state was even within 2 degrees of it lol.

I was talking about the Jersey one. Its near Staten Island. Nearby Newark only made to 103 that day, and no other station around got anywhere close to 110. Plus the hottest day ever (still for many places) was the day before that all time record. Newark's record for that date is not even from 1936 it's from 1993 at 105 lol. Another thing is that in the 30's, Runyon was pretty rural while Newark was already a city.

Today Newark hit 108 but many stations all around hit 106, I think one at 107 and then many other between 103 and 105.

I was talking about the Jersey one. Its near Staten Island. Nearby Newark only made to 103 that day, and no other station around got anywhere close to 110. Plus the hottest day ever (still for many places) was the day before that all time record. Newark's record for that date is not even from 1936 it's from 1993 at 105 lol. Another thing is that in the 30's, Runyon was pretty rural while Newark was already a city.

Today Newark hit 108 but many stations all around hit 106, I think one at 107 and then many other between 103 and 105.

Thanks-- that makes that 110 seem like a real puzzle (thermo not properly shaded?) You said the day before was the real scorcher-- what was the hottest temp in NJ on that day? Do you know of any nearby locales that exceeded the 106 at NYC?

Amazing that at Port Jefferson NOW, it's 94 with a 77 dewpoint, yielding 55% humidity. New Orleans, by contrast, is 85 with a 73 dewpoint, yielding 73% humidity. Trying to tell people that your discomfort from humidity is primarily the dewpoint, and one pay attention to humidity bc it's the dewpoint that matters, that heat just holds more moisture, so we're worse in PJ than in Nola. Amazing.

Yup and big drought. JFK missed the record from that day by only one degree :(

Btw, I found it surprising that today, Bradford, Pa's ASOS station, elev. 2117,' had a max. of 97 and a min. of only 72. Even during our hottest periods here, BFD's nightime minimums would usually manage to drop into the 50's, because of optimal radiational cooling due to their high elevation, being on a plateau (the Alleghany) and rural location, and I think that may have been the case during the July, 1966 heatwave.

Btw, I found it surprising that today, Bradford, Pa's ASOS station, elev. 2117,' had a max of 97 and a min. of only 72. Even during our hottest periods here, BFD's nightime minimums would usually manage to drop into the 50's, because of optimal radiational cooling due to their high elevation, being on a plateau (the Alleghany) and rural location, and I think that may have been the case during the July, 1966 heatwave.

Wow, and I was surprised too to see locations in the Poconos well over 100-- dont remember that having happened before. And Bradford is the ice box of PA, it's shocking to see their night time temps so warm-- I bet the higher humidity had a hand in that.

Wow, and I was surprised too to see locations in the Poconos well over 100-- dont remember that having happened before. And Bradford is the ice box of PA, it's shocking to see their night time temps so warm-- I bet the higher humidity had a hand in that.

Neither of the locations below reached 100, although Avoca, elev. 930' (the airport for Scranton, and Wilkes Barre), came quite close at 98. Also note that the min. at Avoca was only 81.

...THE MOUNT POCONO PA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 22 2011...

VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1971 TO 2000

CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1901 TO 2011

WEATHER ITEM OBSERVED TIME RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST

VALUE (LST) VALUE VALUE FROM YEAR

NORMAL

TEMPERATURE (F)

TODAY

MAXIMUM 94R 359 PM 93 1955 79 15 83

MINIMUM 74 421 AM 42 1974 56 18 61

AVERAGE 84 67 17 72

...THE AVOCA PA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 22 2011...

VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1971 TO 2000

CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1901 TO 2011

WEATHER ITEM OBSERVED TIME RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST

VALUE (LST) VALUE VALUE FROM YEAR

NORMAL

TEMPERATURE (F)

TODAY

MAXIMUM 98R 352 PM 98 1955 83 15 87

MINIMUM 81 603 AM 50 1950 62 19 63

AVERAGE 90 73 17 75

Archived