• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Euro weeklies and GFS global ens. indicate block development

earthlight

I guess you can call this a place to discuss the specific modeling and handling of the potential westerly-based -NAO block that is forecast to develop by some longer range guidance. Yesterday's Euro weeklies were very impressive, developing a +160m height anomaly block southwest of Greenland extending all the way back east to Greenland itself, and holding the block there through the 2-4 week period through January 3rd. The GFS global ensembles basically agree with the weeklies in the long range..with a similar pattern and similarly impressive height anomalies at this range. This development would be very favorable for the continued perspective of cold and potentially snow in through the end of December. The blocking continues to be very persistent, even when it is more transient and/or east based..it is there.

f348.gif

I guess you can call this a place to discuss the specific modeling and handling of the potential westerly-based -NAO block that is forecast to develop by some longer range guidance. Yesterday's Euro weeklies were very impressive, developing a +160m height anomaly block southwest of Greenland extending all the way back east to Greenland itself, and holding the block there through the 2-4 week period through January 3rd. The GFS global ensembles basically agree with the weeklies in the long range..with a similar pattern and similarly impressive height anomalies at this range. This development would be very favorable for the continued perspective of cold and potentially snow in through the end of December. The blocking continues to be very persistent, even when it is more transient and/or east based..it is there.

f348.gif

How does the PNA look during this time frame?

The Pacific may start to get crappy looking with a strengthing GOA trough. While it's not in a horrible position..it might serve to pump up a southeast ridge and cause this to be more of a gradient pattern. Maybe related to MJO forcing?? Either way, pretty impressive looking weeklies.

I was thinking this as well..but for a while the Pac is actually okay (not great, but okay) and we have a whole load of energy roaring east from the Pacific. This working with the advertised blocking could be pretty interesting..and it's more of a Miller B pattern, too, in that case as opposed to a gradient pattern which would develop later when the SE ridge strengthens.

Lots of questions to be answered but we look to be sitting in a decent spot to say the least.

Well making the strong pacific jet can add in with some extra energy, but I don't know how any shortwave will be able to amplify in this kind of pattern. We basically have a classic moderate la nina with North Atlantic blocking, that's a huge signal for cold and dry with the occasional clipper bringing down a few snow showers.

I was thinking this as well..but for a while the Pac is actually okay (not great, but okay) and we have a whole load of energy roaring east from the Pacific. This working with the advertised blocking could be pretty interesting..and it's more of a Miller B pattern, too, in that case as opposed to a gradient pattern which would develop later when the SE ridge strengthens.

Lots of questions to be answered but we look to be sitting in a decent spot to say the least.

Yeah agree. The Pacific will be fine for a while...I was thinking more at the end of the 11-15 day. I also agree that if anything it should increase storm chances and we'll probably be happy (hopefully happy) that the block to our northeast is there.

Well making the strong pacific jet can add in with some extra energy, but I don't know how any shortwave will be able to amplify in this kind of pattern. We basically have a classic moderate la nina with North Atlantic blocking, that's a huge signal for cold and dry with the occasional clipper bringing down a few snow showers.

Do you post anything positive?

glad to hear we look to be in a good spot the next few weeks. That's all you can ask for really. I have been reading and lurking for years, getting better at tempering my expectations and not getting so hung up on every model run. at least for me, i like this concept of looking at the periods ahead as windows of opportunity where conditions in general are favorable for snow/cold. Nice post as usual earthlight.

Yeah agree. The Pacific will be fine for a while...I was thinking more at the end of the 11-15 day. I also agree that if anything it should increase storm chances and we'll probably be happy (hopefully happy) that the block to our northeast is there.

Of course the gfs op can show you how it can go wrong..lol.

Figured I would bump this with the GFS global ensembles from this afternoon's 12z run. Things keep looking more impressive as the block continues into the long range and shows no signs of breaking down--it's actually better positioned now on most ensembles than was being shown a few days ago. Maybe the Euro weeklies were on to something.

f372.gif

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to a very strong west based Nao block? Looking at the means map wouldn't that basically suppress everything south of the northeast and midatlantic?

The pattern not great, the pacific keeps lows tracking across the U.S. fairly far north across the plains and then they get squashed as they approach the east coast. To me it's not a great look.

The pattern not great, the pacific keeps lows tracking across the U.S. fairly far north across the plains and then they get squashed as they approach the east coast. To me it's not a great look.

Sadly, I have to agree wiith you, Wes.

Until we get a decent Pac, we aren't gonna get the storms that will slam us.

See 2009-2010 for ideal Pac...

Ninos are better for all of us.

i think a lot of us would just be happy with storm that slap us instead of slam us though.

Yes I agree with that.

But I know what everyone wants.... the big dog.... :snowman:

I do agree a couple of inches before Christmas would make it a heck of a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived