The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is off today said that she shoveled three times at home and each time it was a couple of inches. Of course this may not be all that accurate because what I tell my wife is 6" wouldn't show up as 6" on a standard ruler....:whistle:

I will not challange her measurements. Sounds good to me.:whistle: Still light snow as of 4pm and 5" down on the east side of the county.

I am up to 3 inches now... Still lagging from the rest of you, but I have made a bit of a recovery and it is still snowing.. Maybe I can get another inch. It is funny, because I just noticed I have been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning!!

Edit - I just did proper measurement - 4 inches on the nose. Light snow still falling.

LOL, we're always teaching our kids something.

Radders, I thought of you when I saw you got upgraded earlier. Still snowing over here even though there's not much on the radar, big beautiful flakes just floating down, good stuff. It looks like 5" IMBY.

Looks like it has stalled about 10 miles east of me.. Still keeping an eye on it, but I think I am just about done with around 4 inches total. I'll take it.. Beautiful out, dog loves it!

3" here now ..still snowing here ...some moderate bursts.

I was down as far as POU today and they had 4" when I left at 2:30 PM. I thought the most impressive snow was around northern Dutchess and southern Columbia around 4:30 PM. They probably got a good 6" total.... Also they still had a good amount of the old Noreaster snow left...can't be sure but maybe 4, 5, 6 inches survived the torch.

4.8" final here.. Lgt Snow stuck around for a better part of the day.

3" here now ..still snowing here ...some moderate bursts.

I was down as far as POU today and they had 4" when I left at 2:30 PM. I thought the most impressive snow was around northern Dutchess and southern Columbia around 4:30 PM. They probably got a good 6" total.... Also they still had a good amount of the old Noreaster snow left...can't be sure but maybe 4, 5, 6 inches survived the torch.

10" reported in Somers in Northern Westchester County...

4" here in Dobbs Ferry.

I was just out with my dogs. The beauty of this snowfall is sublime. Pine tree branches perfectly touched with snow, the fallen powder on the branches and the ground catches the light and a million flawless diamonds sparkle on the landscape. Perfection.

10" reported in Somers in Northern Westchester County...

4" here in Dobbs Ferry.

I think the Somers one may be just a touch high. I'm at almost the highest elevation in the area and Somers is right at the end of my block. I don't think I got over 8". What I did notice coming home last night is that south of about Yorktown there is noticeably less than from there up with the obvious demarcation between nuisance snow and winter storm being right around I 287.

Folks - A nice hit on the Euro for our region regarding the storm on tuesday night... A nice 0.75" for all of us.. A little fast moving so taken as is, a nice 6-10 inch storm for us. Fingers crossed

:yikes: I never thought I'd say this but, why does the most active period of the winter so far have to be when my boss and asst. mgr. are out of the country on vacation and the wife of the other asst. mgr. is due next week? Can't the snow just hold off until the last week of the month :axe:

Folks - A nice hit on the Euro for our region regarding the storm on tuesday night... A nice 0.75" for all of us.. A little fast moving so taken as is, a nice 6-10 inch storm for us. Fingers crossed

I think that many if us are still a bit gun shy from last year bit we're starting to get over that as we get in on these storms, ha!

I agree with Tjay, yesterdays snowfall is beautiful, sparkling diamonds, simply wonderful. I'd take 3-4 storms like that one again over a couple of weeks than one big dog anytime.

Wow, don't think I got out of the 20s.. Remained under the clouds all night with dps in the 20s too. I say KMGJ hit 1 overnight!

I'm at 12 right now. KMGJ's temp was offline for a bit this week and has appeared to be a bit funky at times but it's not far off now or fixed since I got to 4 and I'm just down the road from there.

I think that many if us are still a bit gun shy from last year bit we're starting to get over that as we get in on these storms, ha!

I agree with Tjay, yesterdays snowfall is beautiful, sparkling diamonds, simply wonderful. I'd take 3-4 storms like that one again over a couple of weeks than one big dog anytime.

We spend so much time tracking these storms and dealing their effects that the beauty of them gets lost. Our snow season started about a month late but mother nature seems intent on catching up now.

Got down to 10 last night. Now the eyes turn to the Tues-Wed event. Looks to be trending closer to the coast. Nice write-up by OKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

405 PM EST SAT JAN 8 2011

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --...POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORM FROM LATE TUESDAY INTO

WEDNESDAY INCREASING...

LOOKING AT THE 12Z SUITE OF MODELS...IT APPEARS THE GFS IS A

SOUTHERN/EASTERN OUTLIER...AND THE 9Z SREF A NORTHERN/WESTERN

OUTLIER WITH THE STORM WHEN COMPARED TO THE GEFS ENSEMBLE MEAN AND

ECWMF. THE 12Z GEFS MEAN TRACKS THE STORM OVER THE 40N/70W BENCHMARK

AT 6Z WEDNESDAY...WITH ECMWF JUST TO THE NW OF THE BENCHMARK AT 12Z

WEDNESDAY. BASED ON THIS HAVE OPTED FOR A ECMWF/GEFS ENSEMBLE MEAN

BLEND FOR THE EXTENDED. OTHER THAN THE SREF SOLUTION...THERE IS A

CLEAR CONSENSUS FOR AN ALL SNOW EVENT...WITH THIS IDEA BEING

FOLLOWED.

THE FIRST PART OF THE STORM...A CUTOFF LOW CURRENTLY OVER EASTERN

AZ...IS WELL RESOLVED BY LAND BASED OBSERVATIONS...AND IS HANDLED

FAIRLY SIMILARLY BY ALL MODELS. THE SECOND PIECE OF THE EQUATION

ENERGY FORECAST TO DIVE DOWN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST BY

TONIGHT/SUNDAY IS STILL OVER THE NE PACIFIC...SO HOPEFULLY EITHER

THE 00Z OR 12Z SUNDAY BALLOON LAUNCHES WILL CAPTURE THIS FEATURE AND

PROVIDE INCREASED CONFIDENCE. THE GFS IS A FAST/SHEARED OUTLIER WITH

THIS SYSTEM...AND AS A RESULT DOES NOT STRENGTHEN THE DOWNSTREAM

RIDGING THAT MOVES OVER THE AREA TUESDAY SHARPLY ENOUGH (THIS IS A

KNOWN GFS BIAS - NOT SHARPENING THE DOWNSTREAM RIDGING ENOUGH). THE

RESULT IS A MORE SOUTHERN/EASTERN SOLUTION IN THE GFS. THE OTHER

MODELS HANDLE THIS DOWNSTREAM RIDGING BETTER...SO HAVE THE SETUP FOR

A LOW TRACKING CLOSER TO THE COAST AND INTENSIFYING MORE THAN THE

GFS.

BASED ON THE ABOVE HAVE CHANCE POPS SW 1/2...SLIGHT CHANCE POPS NE

1/2 OF AREA BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON. INCREASE POPS TO LIKELY THROUGHOUT

BY LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...AND CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR ALL

BUT FAR NW ZONES...WHERE UNCERTAINTY IN TIMING GIVES PRUDENCE TO

HIGH END CHANCE POPS AT THIS TIME. TAPER POPS OFF FROM NW TO SE INTO

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WITH THURSDAY BEING DRY.

WHILE IT IS TOO EARLY TO DISCUSS AMOUNTS...THE POTENTIAL IS

INCREASING FOR A SIGNIFICANT TO VERY SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS THE

REGION FROM LATE TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY OVER EASTERN

PORTIONS OF THE REGION. IF THE STRONGER ECMWF SOLUTION IS

CORRECT...THERE IS ALSO THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG GUSTY WINDS...WHICH

WOULD ALSO CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW...WITH THE BEST CHANCE

FOR THIS OVER EASTERN PARTS OF THE AREA. THIS LATTER IDEA IS THE

LOWEST CONFIDENCE PART OF THE FORECAST AT THIS TIME. BASED ON THIS

WILL ENHANCE WORDING IN THE HWO...INCLUDING THE POTENTIAL FOR

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW - EMPHASIZING THE BEST POTENTIAL FOR THIS

IDEA IS OVER EASTERN PARTS OF THE AREA FOR NOW.

STILL PLENTY OF TIME FOR THINGS TO CHANGE...BUT GIVEN SOLID

CONSISTENCY OF GEFS ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLUTION OVER THE PAST FEW

DAYS...AND THE ECMWF OVER ITS PAST FEW RUNS...CONFIDENCE IN A WINTER

STORM...POSSIBLY A MAJOR ONE...IS INCREASING IN THE LATE

TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY TIME FRAME. STAY TUNED.

Archived