The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snow continues here, given up trying to measure with this wind... I have 19 inches on my drive but I really don't believe that is the total, seems too much, but who knows...

Same thoughts here just on the other side of the river. Measured 15" at 11:30. Had another inch or two in the last hour. So I see we are close.

I just went outside and did some measurements - I averaged 17-18 inches of snow in most locations with drifts much higher. Looks like somebody from Hopewell Junction (2 miles down the road) reported 24 inches.

Here are some obs from NWS Albany:

NEW YORK...ALBANY COUNTY...

RENSSELAERVILLE 12.0 530 AM 12/27 WNYT - DRIFTS TO 4 FEET

LATHAM 11.0 750 AM 12/27

COHOES 10.8 700 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

ALTAMONT 9.0 528 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

ALBANY 9.0 657 AM 12/27 NWS OFFICE

COLONIE 9.0 642 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

GUILDERLAND 9.0 600 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

SOUTH BERNE 7.5 542 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6...

COLUMBIA COUNTY...

NORTH CHATHAM 20.3 802 AM 12/27 DRIFTS TO 4 FEET

NORTH HILLSDALE 20.0 714 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

KINDERHOOK 19.0 700 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

TAGHKANIC 19.0 800 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

LIVINGSTON 16.5 712 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

CHATHAM CENTER 16.0 532 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

ANCRAMDALE 14.5 601 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

COPAKE 14.0 557 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

...DUTCHESS COUNTY...

PINE PLAINS 25.0 758 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

HOPEWELL JUNCTION 24.0 538 AM 12/27 WEATHERNET6

WINGDALE 15.0 714 AM 12/27 1 TREE DOWN

RED HOOK 15.0 734 AM 12/27

DOVER PLAINS 15.0 809 AM 12/2

Im loving this storm so much more than the Snowicane, the drifting is insane around here. NYS 416 and 207 are down to close to one lane in the open spots with whiteout conditions. I've never seen anything like that around here, the last time I saw a ground blizzard was when my brother lived up in Cazenovia after a lake effect event. I have bare spots in my yard and 30" drifts in other spots. Impossible to get an accurate measuremnt of anything. I saw a report of 15" in Montgomery from 1am which seems reasonable, looke like 16-18" around here overall but we'll never know for sure. :snowman:

I was a bit far northwest for the best band but I came in with about 7 to 8 inches so not bad for a fringe event. It's blown to bits now, but I went down into the woods to measure ..about 10" on the ground there, but some is old snow. Extreme wind chill now with the blowing and drifting - actual temperature of 9F.

ALB area itself around 10" give or take.......

Yes here is the jackpot zone for the mid/upper HV and adjacent NE. .....which began about 25-30 miles to my east/southeast:

Connecticut

Litchfield County -- Precipitation Reports

Canaan

14.00"

Massachusetts

Berkshire County -- Precipitation Reports

Alford, MA

20.00"

Pittsfield

16.00"

Lanesborough

15.00"

Clarksburg

15.00"

Pittsfield

14.00"

New York

Columbia County -- Precipitation Reports

Kinderhook

17.50"

Ghent

20.00"

North Chatham

20.25"

Taghkanic

19.00"

Livingston

16.50"

Ancramdale

14.50"

Copake

14.00"

Chatham Center

16.00"

Dutchess County -- Precipitation Reports

Pine Plains

25.00"

Hopewell Junction

24.00"

Greene County -- Precipitation Reports

Maplecrest

17.00"

Greenville

11.00"

Ashland

11.00"

Prattsville

11.00"

Rensselaer County -- Precipitation Reports

Hoosick Falls

16.00"

Brunswick

11.00"

Vermont

Bennington County -- Precipitation Reports

Landgrove

18.00"

Woodford

20.00"

Rutland County -- Precipitation Reports

Danby

13.25"

Im loving this storm so much more than the Snowicane, the drifting is insane around here. NYS 416 and 207 are down to close to one lane in the open spots with whiteout conditions. I've never seen anything like that around here, the last time I saw a ground blizzard was when my brother lived up in Cazenovia after a lake effect event. I have bare spots in my yard and 30" drifts in other spots. Impossible to get an accurate measuremnt of anything. I saw a report of 15" in Montgomery from 1am which seems reasonable, looke like 16-18" around here overall but we'll never know for sure. :snowman:

I had to retreat in to the house a few times when clearing the drive. Just to cold and blowing the powder was insane. No matter when I positioned the shoot I was blasted with it. I drove one of my Daughters to work at Macys. I can't believe they opened and her Civic wouldn't have cut it. . The mall parking lot had 20 cars total. The roads range from ok to a disaster. Scotchtown road is bad in spots from Goshen to Rt 211, RT211 is ok but by the Mall it’s bad, the road into the mall is a disaster. Rt !7 from Rt 211 to Goshen is generally ok with some spots of blown snow on the road, ramps are a challenge . RT 207 in Goshen is a mess.

I had 5.5 inches for my reported reading last evening. I cleared the snow from the area. Today I recorded 14.9 inches in the same place. Not sure what I am going to report. Surprised it was so high but that band that hit after midnight was wild. I can’t imagine what the totals are in areas that had banding for most of the storm.

:arrowhead:

Wow! That was some exhausting shoveling. This stuff, while being exceptionally cold and dry, was soooo dense. My forearms are still pumped and I finished almost four hours ago. I hope I moved it far enough from the house so if it rains next weekend my basement doesn't flood :axe:

The wind really packs the snow in there making it more dense for sure. I just got back from a drive, still getting ground blizzard conditions along NYS 416, 208, and 207. The State guys will be plowing for quite a while still.

As was expected, it's impossible to get an accurate measurement. Drifts as high as me in some areas of the yard and bare ground in others. If I had to guess, I'd say around 13" of total accumulation. The gusts last night were the strongest synoptic winds I've ever seen, so overall this was a worthwhile storm to track for so long. Right after the storm this morning, as the sky was just beginning to break, I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of a Kelvin–Helmholtz cloud.

Sounds like many of you had a blast with this past storm. Next one is for me and the east-central NYS folks too. Glad it worked out well for most.

Thanks from me too! I wound up with 17-18 inches of pure powder. It was a breeze with the snowblower and I did not hear of any issues of folks loosing power in my area. The next one is yours.:)

A little OT but some of us are originally from the city. They were slammed Watching some of the news coverage on the NYC channels, man they had issues with this storm. Video of abandoned cars, buses, emergence vehicles, people stranded on highways in the city for 12 hours all over the city looked like the opening for The Walking Dead. Surreal for sure. I lived in the city for 40 something years and I don't think I've ever seen widespread issues as this storm caused. Maybe John Lindsey's snow storm will be replaced by this Bloomburg Storm. Can't help but thinking the budget and people making decisions to travel in a blizzard played a role.

Posthumous report ..so to speak.... I measured 10 inches yesterday in Saugerties at our cottage there. The open areas were very blown off, but back in the woods I found an undisturbed spot. Then I shoveled out what the plow guy didn't get to... It was 22 there at 4 PM.

Despite 7 new inches, my lawn here in Knox is largely devoid of snow now....kinda sad, but I knew this open ridge would be windy. Most was transported 500+ feet to the hedgerows.

We have been getting nuisance lake stuff filling the air with flakes all day...just fresh dustings. 25F outside.

I guess people can't grasp the concept that their lives may be disrupted for a few days following the 5th or 6th greatest snowstorm in NYC history. It was on a par with the Blizzard of 1888 in snowfall with 20" in CP, 24" in Brooklyn and 29" in Staten Island. But this fell in about 20 hours whereas that storm was over a a few days.

You can't fault the people with airline tickets because they had pre-booked and were stuck, but otherwise people were warned simply to stay home during this snowstorm so it is their own fault if they got stranded somewhere.

A little OT but some of us are originally from the city. They were slammed Watching some of the news coverage on the NYC channels, man they had issues with this storm. Video of abandoned cars, buses, emergence vehicles, people stranded on highways in the city for 12 hours all over the city looked like the opening for The Walking Dead. Surreal for sure. I lived in the city for 40 something years and I don't think I've ever seen widespread issues as this storm caused. Maybe John Lindsey's snow storm will be replaced by this Bloomburg Storm. Can't help but thinking the budget and people making decisions to travel in a blizzard played a role.

Traveling is fine until you get into NYC. It's a mess down here! There are still streets blocked with cars that have been there since Sunday, sometimes three or four cars on a block. This morning there were five cars on Houston St in the middle of the street that the plows just went around and there were tour buses stuck all over the place, especially Chinatown. If you need to come into the city don't do it with a car, there is no place to park.

Traveling is fine until you get into NYC. It's a mess down here! There are still streets blocked with cars that have been there since Sunday, sometimes three or four cars on a block. This morning there were five cars on Houston St in the middle of the street that the plows just went around and there were tour buses stuck all over the place, especially Chinatown. If you need to come into the city don't do it with a car, there is no place to park.

The snow has compacted nicely today, a lot less blowing snow and easier walking thru it 33F ATM

NSFW NYC sanitation workers destroy a Ford Explorer :arrowhead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE

The difference is Bloomburg isn't running for reelection, whereas the Feb 1969 storm put a good dent in Lindsey's political career.

The snow has compacted nicely today, a lot less blowing snow and easier walking thru it 33F ATM

NSFW NYC sanitation workers destroy a Ford Explorer :arrowhead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE

It appears to me that for starters anyway the guy behind the wheel of the front-end loader had no business being there.

It appears to me that for starters anyway the guy behind the wheel of the front-end loader had no business being there.

If I could be in that operators seat right now making the coin he is, I would be there as fast as I could drive there. Storms like that is where it's at!! I only need my Thermos with coffee and a means of communication to tell me what road/street is next. Wanna bet how much money is being made by the towing companies/nypd with impounds/ abandoned vehicles??(NYPD has their own tow trucks/ flatbeds). I would give anything for a municipal highway job.I have the C.D.L. , experience, and ability just cannot get in no matter where or how hard I try.

I read somewhere that the SUV belonged to the city IDK how true that is but that display was disgraceful.

I'm watching the news after the football game on Ch 4 out of NYC

Still they have major issues. It’s really out of character. Since Koch and Rudy and even Bloomberg up to now NYC has handled snow like champs. There is a bunch of things at play that lead to this mess. NYC is near bankruptcy and Bloomy has cut services to the bone and don’t discount the possibility of a possible union action due to the amount of layoffs and demotions that have occurred with their budget cuts. I think the city canceled the contracts that they use to have that mobilized private companies to bring in heavy equipment to clear the city. I recall seeing huge earth movers, huge bulldozers with 6 foot tires on my street and on other streets of Staten Island when I lived there after a storm. I lived on an unknown street and we were always plowed out within hours of a huge storm.

I read somewhere that the SUV belonged to the city IDK how true that is but that display was disgraceful.

Yes, I beleive that it was a City Buildings Dept SUV.

A bummer with this storm, and it typically happens wafter the big coastals, we get mild air behind it which is cutting in on my snow pack :arrowhead:

Archived