• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-12 Severe Weather Thread

This is my first time starting a severe weather thread, but per Dr. Greg Forbes' Facebook page, looks like this weekend could get active particularly in parts of Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kansas among other areas in the Plains, Mid-Mississippi and Ohio valleys.

For those of you on Facebook here is Dr. Forbes' page: https://www.facebook.com/twcdrforbes

He has his severe weather predictions up until Sunday on his wall.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

friday *could* be interesting in northern IL on the warm front if everything plays out and also be an early show as the 12z NAM is showing..

from SPC and Roger Edwards

..IL TO SRN PLAINS

SCATTERED TSTMS SHOULD DEVELOP DURING AFTERNOON INVOF SFC LOW AND

ADJOINING FRONTAL ZONE OVER PORTIONS MO...SERN IA AND IL...AMIDST

VERY RICH LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AND NEAR-FRONTAL LIFT. MAIN CONCERNS

WILL BE DAMAGING GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL. SOME OF THIS ACTIVITY MAY

PERSIST INTO EVENING...THOUGH OVERALL THREAT SHOULD DIMINISH

OVERNIGHT. WEAK AND SOMEWHAT VEERED/SWLY SFC WINDS ARE EXPECTED

AHEAD OF FRONT OVER PORTIONS MO/WRN IL...LIMITING HODOGRAPH SIZE.

SFC WINDS SHOULD BECOME MORE BACKED FARTHER N ACROSS PORTIONS ERN

IA/NRN IL IN PROXIMITY TO WARM FRONT...WHERE GREATEST SRH AND

SFC-BASED SUPERCELL POTENTIAL MAY DEVELOP...FROM IMMEDIATE VICINITY

SFC LOW EWD ALONG WARM FRONT.

12z NAM at 18z Friday

once CoD's site updates with the 12z NAM the GL view maps will be better but not hard to see very sharp warm front across northern IL

The ARR sounding and hodograph at 18z friday is pretty darn nice looking and supportive of supercells on the warm front but after that the sfc winds veer so we'll have to see how this one plays out. 0-3km CAPE values of 230 j/kg.

Looks like some decent potential if things don't get screwed up with too much ongoing convection. SREF isn't too excited yet...I guess because it's a couple days out and the parameters aren't really overwhelming.

DVN regarding friday..

MODELS SHOW A SIGNIFICANT UPPER TROF MOVING INTO THE

NORTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS FRIDAY. THE TROF WILL SPIN UP A SURFACE LOW

ALONG THE FRONT WITH THE LOW MOVING THROUGH THE SOUTHERN CWFA

FRIDAY. THERE IS SOME QUESTION ON THE TIMING OF THE WAVE MOVING

THROUGH BUT AT THIS POINT IT LOOKS LIKE EITHER LATE MORNING OR

AFTERNOON. THE AFTERNOON TIMING WOULD ENHANCE THE SEVERE WEATHER

THREAT...ESPECIALLY THE CHANCE FOR SUPERCELLS AND THE TORNADO RISK.

Conditions look favorable for the development of additional heat bursts north of Oklahoma City, particularly in the Guthrie and Stillwater areas. Radar shows a rapidly dying thunderstorm moving towards those areas, capable of producing strong dry adiabatic downdrafts.

Conditions look favorable for the development of additional heat bursts north of Oklahoma City, particularly in the Guthrie and Stillwater areas. Radar shows a rapidly dying thunderstorm moving towards those areas, capable of producing strong dry adiabatic downdrafts.

A heatburst may still be generated from this... Guthrie is reporting a rapid drop in pressure and increase in winds. Some rain is making it to the surface though, which will make it difficult to generate a true heat burst -- but it may impact places just to the east of there.

SPECI KGOK 100508Z AUTO 13015G22KT 8SM -RA FEW055 27/17 A2980 RMK AO2 TSE02RAB00 PRESFR P0000

A heatburst may still be generated from this... Guthrie is reporting a rapid drop in pressure and increase in winds. Some rain is making it to the surface though, which will make it difficult to generate a true heat burst -- but it may impact places just to the east of there.

SPECI KGOK 100508Z AUTO 13015G22KT 8SM -RA FEW055 27/17 A2980 RMK AO2 TSE02RAB00 PRESFR P0000

You might have more posts about heat bursts in 24 hours than everyone in the past 10 years combined.

Yeah that is surprising unless they don't think the Warm Front will yield tomorrow.

This setup actually reminds me of 6/5/10 in some ways, but (and it's a big but) the best deep layer shear lags behind the frontal zone in this case. I'm not expecting anything like last year but I've learned to not turn my back on a warm front.

This setup actually reminds me of 6/5/10 in some ways, but (and it's a big but) the best deep layer shear lags behind the frontal zone in this case. I'm not expecting anything like last year but I've learned to not turn my back on a warm front.

In all honesty I thought the same thing. The placement of the low seems pretty similar as well as strength and yeah cells riding warm fronts usually always verify. A few years ago we saw 4 tornadoes in NW Ohio on a bunch of really average supercells riding a warm front. They just always seem to drop along it

This.

And this weekend's series of storms may also feature a heavy rain threat: HPC is placing most of northeastern Illinois (roughly east of I-39 and between the I-80 and I-90 corridors, including Chicagoland) in a moderate (10-15%) excessive rainfall potential. Lincoln NWS is also headlining the potential heavy rain threat for tonight in their Local Area Forecasts for at least the Peoria and Springfield areas:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/94ewbg.gif

Also another round of heavy rain a possibility on Sunday--particularly in southern and southwest Iowa:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/99ewbg.gif

Hopefully they can fix KIND's radar quickly.

NOUS63 KIND 100918

FTMIND

Message Date: Jun 10 2011 09:18:32

KIND Radar will be out of service due to equipment problems. Technicians have b

een notified of the problem. Surrounding radars include KIWX...KILN...KLVX...KL

OT...KVWX...KILX and KPAH.

2/30/30 on the day 1 outlook. A little surprising...I thought we could pull out a 5% tornado.

Got it now. I wasn't expecting it to make in into OH at all (as well as extending hail/wind east) with all this convective crap around here. Warm fronts usually end up producing here though.

Archived