• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Florida Fall/Winter Weather

MJW155

Anyone seen the 12z GFS ... Drops Miami to 30F... That would be devastating for the whole state. Last year you guys got crushed by cold and it looks possible again, which sucks because i like Florida strawberries that come out around the new year.

http://www.weather.g...story/KMIA.html

Miami was 44F

This whole thing, including the mention of wintery type precip into N Central Fla, feels like last year and is seemingly a yearly thing now. We got well into the teens last year so "this cold snap" may not break into that ground but maybe next week. Again, same thing as last year...it was relentless and seemingly week after week.

Some of the plants I had been protecting have grown too large to cover anymore so they are going to be on their own. In addition these extreme freezes will bring more wildlife problems.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole thing, including the mention of wintery type precip into N Central Fla, feels like last year and is seemingly a yearly thing now. We got well into the teens last year so "this cold snap" may not break into that ground but maybe next week. Again, same thing as last year...it was relentless and seemingly week after week.

Some of the plants I had been protecting have grown too large to cover anymore so they are going to be on their own. In addition these extreme freezes will bring more wildlife problems.

Just as I had thought 12z gfs reloads eastern noam trough into longer term. We're in the cold/dry until at least xmas

Pretty crazy the kind of cold we're getting, I can't remember it ever getting this cold in December. I thought last January was a once in 20 year event but this seems pretty close.

It's circa dec '89 ftw. If we could just get a little damn precip! All this cold and dry is worthless without some frozen precip. I didn't move from New York to be just as cold 1,000 miles south.

I caught this

In Fort Lauderdale, a low temperature record of 42 degrees for Dec. 7 that had been in place for 169 years was broken, said Dan Gregoria, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Miami.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/07/1961703/fort-lauderdale-breaks-cold-record.html#ixzz17SmOqRts

Feels like THIS year you mean as in last Jan / Feb. I have been here just 15 months and every time a local tells me that I will be sweating till Jan1, or you have seen the last of real frost, or you have to use the heat maybe two or three nights per year , or why did you bring all of those warm clothes with you makes me laugh. If nothing else, these cold shots make it feel like a true change of season and my transition from the north is going much smoother because ot it. :thumbsup:

Crazy to think that Tallahassee will get that low. Although, when cold weather comes, Tallahassee usually is colder than most other places. That's because one of the official readings is at the airport, and it used to be a swamp but was filled in with sand. As some may know, sand doesn't hold heat very well and that allows the OFFICIAL temperature at Tallahassee to be frigid! While in the city it's not terrible (usually a good 10 degrees warmer sometimes...) In the 4 years of my going to school there though, I have NEVER seen them forecast temperatures THAT low... And I was there this past winter with some of the coldest weather..... YIKES!

Crazy to think that Tallahassee will get that low. Although, when cold weather comes, Tallahassee usually is colder than most other places. That's because one of the official readings is at the airport, and it used to be a swamp but was filled in with sand. As some may know, sand doesn't hold heat very well and that allows the OFFICIAL temperature at Tallahassee to be frigid! While in the city it's not terrible (usually a good 10 degrees warmer sometimes...) In the 4 years of my going to school there though, I have NEVER seen them forecast temperatures THAT low... And I was there this past winter with some of the coldest weather..... YIKES!

Take a look at this...absolutely astonishing. Highs would be stuck in the mid 30s at most for northern Florida taking this literally (with the -12C 850s NWS Tallahassee mentioned earlier).

12zggem850mbTSLPp06102.gif

Oh wow...NWS here in LA CROSSE mentions this:

ECMWF/GFS/CANADIAN AND THEIR RESPECTIVE ENSEMBLES ARE IN GOOD

AGREEMENT ON THE UPPER LEVEL PATTERN DURING THE LONG TERM FORECAST.

GENERAL IDEA IS TO HAVE A POSITIVE PNA-NEGATIVE NAO PATTERN IN PLACE

THROUGH ABOUT TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS COMBINATION SPELLS COLD FOR THE

FORECAST AREA...WITH 850MB TEMPS FALLING TO -15C OR 1.5 STANDARD

DEVIATIONS BELOW NORMAL. NOTE THAT THE COLD IMPACT WILL BE FELT MORE

IN THE SOUTHEAST U.S. WHERE THE 850MB TEMP STANDARDIZED ANOMALY IS

ALMOST 5 BELOW NORMAL IN MIAMI AT 00Z TUESDAY.

Mean temp for December in Ocala is 59. Currently at 46 so far at my house. Sure to drop even more after the next blast.:(

It is supposed to make it close to 70 today though. Yeehaww!!

Also, 5 days so far below freezing this month compared with 1 in December of 09.

Let's hope things start warming up after this next cold snap.. Looks like a couple nights in the 20's for Lakeland early next week. I am ready for summer.:snowman:

Archived