FLC086-101715-

/O.NEW.KMFL.SV.W.0003.110310T1651Z-110310T1715Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

1151 AM EST THU MAR 10 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY IN SOUTH FLORIDA.

* UNTIL 1215 PM EST

* AT 1148 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS HAVE

DETECTED A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED

ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM INTERSECTION KROME AND U.S. 27 TO

MICCOSUKEE RESORT TO INTERSECTION KROME AND KENDALL DRIVE...AND

MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

* THE LINE OF STORMS WILL AFFECT...

INTERSECTION KROME AND KENDALL DRIVE...

KENDALE LAKES...

MIAMI LAKES...

HIALEAH...

NORTH MIAMI...

COCONUT GROVE...

AND SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was curious after the Japan Tsunami, if Florida had a chance of one. After doing a search it seems the chances are slim. The East Coast it appears has a better chance when a chunk of a mountain in the Canary Islands may fall into the Atlantic Ocean one day when a Volcano erupts again. I did find interesting this link from the Tampa NWS talking about the Strongest quake to strike Florida. I didn't realize Florida had an earthquake before.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/tbw/TopNews/PDF/Tsunami.pdf

I was curious after the Japan Tsunami, if Florida had a chance of one. After doing a search it seems the chances are slim. The East Coast it appears has a better chance when a chunk of a mountain in the Canary Islands may fall into the Atlantic Ocean one day when a Volcano erupts again. I did find interesting this link from the Tampa NWS talking about the Strongest quake to strike Florida. I didn't realize Florida had an earthquake before.

http://www.srh.noaa....PDF/Tsunami.pdf

When the Haiti earthquake happened, all the stations down here were scrolling that there was no danger of a tsunami. That's how I even found out about the quake itself. I think we take for granted that there are no tsunamis here. I don't know if there are any fault lines capable of producing tsunami near the DR, but it's still something to keep an eye on when that area gets another big quake.

When the Haiti earthquake happened, all the stations down here were scrolling that there was no danger of a tsunami. That's how I even found out about the quake itself. I think we take for granted that there are no tsunamis here. I don't know if there are any fault lines capable of producing tsunami near the DR, but it's still something to keep an eye on when that area gets another big quake.

Good point, I forgot about the area around Hati. I did a search and found that in 1946 a 8.0 earthquake near Hispaniola caused a tsunami that left 20,000 people homeless. I also found that scientists predict a major tsunami tsunami is likely in the Northern Caribbean and Florida could feel some affects from it.

An earthquake in that northern part of the Caribbean could generate waves up to 40 feet high and threaten the lives of up to 35.5 million people living in coastal areas. Smaller waves could reach Florida, the Gulf of Mexico and as far north as New Jersey.

http://www.greenanti...or-puerto-rico/

Good point, I forgot about the area around Hati. I did a search and found that in 1946 a 8.0 earthquake near Hispaniola caused a tsunami that left 20,000 people homeless. I also found that scientists predict a major tsunami tsunami is likely in the Northern Caribbean and Florida could feel some affects from it.

http://www.greenanti...or-puerto-rico/

I remember Sept 10 2006. I was in a crowded bar watching NFL football. They scrolled it across the screen that there was a earthquake off of Tampa. I remember everyone just looking at each other and saying "earthquake"??

I remember Sept 10 2006. I was in a crowded bar watching NFL football. They scrolled it across the screen that there was a earthquake off of Tampa. I remember everyone just looking at each other and saying "earthquake"??

I do remember in 2006 when the news said a 5.8 quake hit 260 miles off the coast and some people reported feeling the quake. I am about 40 miles or so inland and didn't feel a thing.

Archived