Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
12/3-12/6 MW/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not gonna go all in yet, still has to get fully sampled. but dont ya'll forget who started this thread and to send me gifts when you get your good snow haha :)

Of course being measured is prudent. However, can't deny the favorable trends in general. Now we just have to see if they hold up.

12z GFS snowfall.. Not as much as the 12z NAM (of course) but still good..

It's a start. Remember the GFS had some runs where it was giving us squat.

I think a big question is if/whether this starts to weaken with snow amounts as it gets to Indiana. The NAM says no but other models say yes.

I hope the storm stays on track and the LAF guys get in on a 3-6 inch clipper, what a nice event that would be. So many times in this time frame these systems have had STL in the Bulls-eye to end up snowing in Chicago. It is almost a given. I hope this time the track stays consistent and a north trend doesn't ensue.

I have no idea how much one little system to another matters, but the first little clipper that is progged to go come threw tomorrow has moved all over the place. At least it offers only light snow and flurries so it's nothing to fret over.

Good luck

Well, After looking through the models and such it definitely looks like somebody in Southern MN could fair pretty well with this....In past storms like this the heaviest banding usually sets up right near the MN River Valley...but one cannot base their forecast off that..These clippers are either hit or miss for so many areas time after time. Kinda OT, but to see that you guys down south haven't even had much, besides a few light snow showers kinda amazes me...We have already had the snowmobiles out a few times this year, and I actually was out ice fishing last weekend on about 5 inches of ice.

At KMKT- 12z NAM puts out just under .75 of precip..maybe a bit overdone. GFS puts out about .58 of precip.

After looking at the 12z runs, my preliminary guess is a band of 3-6" streaking southeast through Indiana including LAF. The 850 mb low is progged to pass somewhere around northern/central Indiana depending on the model and the heaviest snow should occur north of that as is usually the case. We might be riding a fine line here and my guess is that totals could drop off fairly quickly with south/westward extent. I think there's a good chance for a heavier band of 6 to locally 9 or 10" in heavier banded features especially northwest of the area given model qpf consensus around/over .5 there (and factoring in greater than 10:1 ratios) and this could extend through Indiana if the NAM is correct, but that remains to be seen.

Archived