EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12/3-12/6 MW/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daily snowfall records broken at both Chicago and Rockford today.

ORD: 5.1" at 6PM (old record 4.6" in 1964)

RFD: 6.3" at 6PM (old record 3.1" in 1964)

Funny how certain years seem to keep popping up in these various records that you post. Probably overstating things though.

thank you sir, He picked the number, which ended up being a good one, I was really wondering if I'd win or not before that LE hit ORD

Yeah that no doubt helped.

I think I know the sequence of events for successful snow events this winter: 1) You start the thread 5 days out...2) Aleking and Chicago Storm poo poo the event, Jerry Taft style...3) The WI peeps along with Hoosier et all, have a chat session deep into the morning hours two days out...

I think I know the sequence of events for successful snow events this winter: 1) You start the thread 5 days out...2) Aleking and Chicago Storm poo poo the event, Jerry Taft style...3) The WI peeps along with Hoosier et all, have a chat session deep into the morning hours two days out...

Was it five days out? Ya I started it monday night lol not bad lets hope the luck continues.

This is OT, so Hoosier can feel free to delete, but this thread now has more views than any other thread on the entire AmericanWX forums, 24000+! And for a hybrid "clipper" event. Impressive.

Wow...impressive indeed.

Of course there was a time when we'd burn through two separate threads for one storm at Eastern. Of course that was for the biggies I guess..2/13-14/07, 12/15-16/07, etc.

I rather put up with the snow then the car jackings, arm robberies and murders that Detroit is famous for. Here I don't have to worry about those things. I can even leave the door to my house unlocked and no one would never come into my house to rob me.

:lol: haha she doesnt have to worry about those things either, I said Detroit AREA. The suburbs are safe, that stuff happens in the ghetto of the city. Of course it can happen anywhere. Funny story, I know an acquaintence who used to live in Warren (a Detroit suburb, but definitely not the nicest one), never had any problems. Moved to Gaylord and had his car broken into and house robbed while he was at work within the same year.

Dont want to get too OT though. The end of the week clipper is certainly looking promising, but I still say wait a few days before starting a thread.

A coworker mentioned this to me, I think someone made a mistake here

KCVG 041852Z 04011KT 3/4SM R18C/4000VP6000FT -SN FG BKN006 OVC012 M01/M02 A2988 RMK AO2 SLP125 SNINCR 1/3 P0003 T10111022

KCVG 041752Z 05011KT 3/4SM R18C/5500VP6000FT -SN BR OVC006 M01/M02 A2990 RMK AO2 SLP130 4/023 931019 933019 P0002 60012 T10111022 11006 21017 58024

This is OT, so Hoosier can feel free to delete, but this thread now has more views than any other thread on the entire AmericanWX forums, 24000+! And for a hybrid "clipper" event. Impressive.

We have a nice group of posters. I'm sorta not a big fan of these huge threads to be honest (although this one wasn't as big/rapidly moving as some others in the past) and this has come up amongst staff, etc. Each subforum gets different amounts of traffic but there's a pretty decent size group here. Perhaps we could separate things a bit with dedicated model threads or something like that so things have less chance to get buried. We have subforums for a reason...

We have a nice group of posters. I'm sorta not a big fan of these huge threads to be honest (although this one wasn't as big/rapidly moving as some others in the past) and this has come up amongst staff, etc. Each subforum gets different amounts of traffic but there's a pretty decent size group here. Perhaps we could separate things a bit with dedicated model threads or something like that so things have less chance to get buried. We have subforums for a reason...

I'm just the opposite. I'd definitely rather have things in one thread and when it gets to a point that the first thread is to large, create a second one.

It makes historical archiving so much better in my opinion. You can start from beginning and go until the storm is finished and see what each run of the models was showing, compare how the models did, check forecasts and warnings and then obs. Just my two cents fwiw.

I didn't get this storm at all. In western part of FDL (not the county, the city) they had 2 inches on the ground and everything. In the eastern part of the city (where I live) we had 2 inches on the driveway, but nothing on the grass at all. I really didn't get it. Usually it's the other way around. The temp was 29-30 throughout the storm.

Any idea why that is? Why it accumlated on the surface but not on the grass?

I didn't get this storm at all. In western part of FDL (not the county, the city) they had 2 inches on the ground and everything. In the eastern part of the city (where I live) we had 2 inches on the driveway, but nothing on the grass at all. I really didn't get it. Usually it's the other way around. The temp was 29-30 throughout the storm.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Really, it accumulated on the pavement, but not the grass? I've never heard of such a thing. Seems like 99/100 times it's the other way around if it's a marginal situation. Confusing to say the least.

Or this. guitar.gif

Personally I wouldn't like model threads.

It's better to keep things in one thread and then create a second if it gets too large(1,000+ posts). It makes it easier to follow and to look back on.

Just my take though.

I woke up this morning at like 10 AM, and had snow on the driveway and the roads had snow also. Grass was completley green yet.

I have a video from a dogsled race this afternoon in Rolling Medows (which is in the Western part of the city)

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20101204/FON0101/101204014/VIDEO-Can-t-Depend-on-Snow-Dog-sled-races-in-Fond-du-Lac-Wi-

And you can clearly see snow on the grass. I can take a picture of my front lawns and show you absoutley nothing in terms of snow on the grass. And we clearly had snow on the driveway this morning etc.

It's probably more like an inch in the western part of the city, but you get my point. Snow accumlated on the grass in the western part of the city, but you go 10 miles east, and it just accumlated on the surface and not the grass.

Not only did this end up being the best clipper I've seen around here, but it also was the best single snowfall here since the Dec 1 2006 storm. Sure glad you guys out east in Chicago and down into Indiana got in on it too. I was actually starting to wonder last night for a bit when it seemed to be taking forever to get the snow started in those locations.

It's better to keep things in one thread and then create a second if it gets too large(1,000+ posts). It makes it easier to follow and to look back on.

Just my take though.

I'd go along with the 1,000 post idea then create a new thread. just on the 1st post for big storms maybe make an index for navigation purposes, having it like that keeps things flowing along from having too large of a thread.

I woke up this morning at like 10 AM, and had snow on the driveway and the roads had snow also. Grass was completley green yet.

I have a video from a dogsled race this afternoon in Rolling Medows (which is in the Western part of the city)

http://www.fdlreport...-Fond-du-Lac-Wi-

And you can clearly see snow on the grass. I can take a picture of my front lawns and show you absoutley nothing in terms of snow on the grass. And we clearly had snow on the driveway this morning etc.

It's probably more like an inch in the western part of the city, but you get my point. Snow accumlated on the grass in the western part of the city, but you go 10 miles east, and it just accumlated on the surface and not the grass.

Just my take though.

There's various options. If most of you guys don't have a problem with all aspects of a storm being contained in a thread, that's what I'll go with, but then I would be in favor of certain break off points where we transition to a part 2 and such. I was concerned about the next time there's something like the blizzard of '99 and there's a 150 page thread and the storm isn't even over yet.

Only thing I think I would do different is start a new thread right before the storm starts for obs and such. Then the storm itself is all in one and the lead up to it with model talk and tracking it is in one. Our group is still small enough and not to Chatty Cathy like SNE folks where this works...

ended up with 3.2"

Fine with me. :guitar:

Grats Bow on your snow. I was watching the Bucks game before, and it looked good in Milwaukee.

Thanks man.. I'm one of the biggest Bucks fan out there but right now I can't even stomach to watch or even know if they won or loss.. I'll check back in with them in another week or two and hopefully Bogut and Del3no are back.

Archived