joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Forecast Contest, Temperatures

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Just in case anybody is interested I've been keeping track of who submitted late and how many points they lost because of it. Here's the list of how many points you lost and what your score would be if you hadn't submitted late (assuming you didn't use the extra day to your advantage and had guessed the same numbers). This of course is not intended to replace Mallow's official scores!

Nikolai +53 (544)

Skierinvermont +62 (939)

Aces+63 (574)

Blazes +82 (697) (2 months)

nzucker +42 (427)

Metallic +3 (16)

Yoda +23 (94)

Just in case anybody is interested I've been keeping track of who submitted late and how many points they lost because of it. Here's the list of how many points you lost and what your score would be if you hadn't submitted late (assuming you didn't use the extra day to your advantage and had guessed the same numbers). This of course is not intended to replace Mallow's official scores!

Nikolai +53 (544)

Skierinvermont +62 (939)

Aces+63 (574)

Blazes +82 (697) (2 months)

nzucker +42 (427)

Metallic +3 (16)

Yoda +23 (94)

:thumbsup:

By the end I am planning on releasing both the totals with and without the late penalties. :)

Not for long I'm sure ;) I'm starting to think I guessed too low for May, it's been pretty warm so far.

I'm really forgetful and scatterbrained so I'll probably end up submitting late again at some point.

You and I guessed almost the same thing for May temperature departures, hopefully great minds think alike wink.gif

Here was my guess:

DCA: +1.3F

NYC: +0.1F

BOS: -0.7F

And your guess:

DCA: +1.2F

NYC: +0.7F

BOS: -0.2F

And what do you mean by, "It's been pretty warm so far?" DCA is -1.3F, NYC is +0.1F, and BOS is +1.9F. Doesn't seem too warm to me, and this week should really even things out with seasonable conditions expected in DC and NYC (upper 60s-low 70s for highs, upper 40s-low 50s for lows) with cooler temperatures in Boston as a result of the H5 cut-off that's spinning away off the New England coast. There doesn't look to be any signs of a torch on the models, so I'm guessing this is going to be a very normal May with little in the way of dramatic heat waves/cold shots. Will probably finish slightly cooler than April.

You and I guessed almost the same thing for May temperature departures, hopefully great minds think alike wink.gif

Here was my guess:

DCA: +1.3F

NYC: +0.1F

BOS: -0.7F

And your guess:

DCA: +1.2F

NYC: +0.7F

BOS: -0.2F

And what do you mean by, "It's been pretty warm so far?" DCA is -1.3F, NYC is +0.1F, and BOS is +1.9F. Doesn't seem too warm to me, and this week should really even things out with seasonable conditions expected in DC and NYC (upper 60s-low 70s for highs, upper 40s-low 50s for lows) with cooler temperatures in Boston as a result of the H5 cut-off that's spinning away off the New England coast. There doesn't look to be any signs of a torch on the models, so I'm guessing this is going to be a very normal May with little in the way of dramatic heat waves/cold shots. Will probably finish slightly cooler than April.

I only checked NYC and BOS and even though DCA has been cold that's not very helpful for us since even if we get the CUM right our gradient will probably be reversed. The good thing is BOS looks cool this week.. but NYC is going to add a lot to their anomaly this week. It's mostly like 50/70 52/72 which is 4-6F above average for the next 5+ days.

It's not a torch but it's consistently moderately above average.

I only checked NYC and BOS and even though DCA has been cold that's not very helpful for us since even if we get the CUM right our gradient will probably be reversed. The good thing is BOS looks cool this week.. but NYC is going to add a lot to their anomaly this week. It's mostly like 50/70 52/72 which is 4-6F above average for the next 5+ days.

It's not a torch but it's consistently moderately above average.

Remember, the average for NYC is 68/51 now; they're not expected to get into the 40s at night anymore. By the end of the week, Central Park will be close to 70/53 average. So I wouldn't say NY is going to add a lot to their anomaly, especially considering the renewed emphasis on the cut-off low locking in NE flow and cool 850s. Maybe a few tenths of a degree will be added to the cumulative departure, but 70/50 is about normal weather for now.

Archived