TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. ACROSS THE SOUTH CLOSER TO THE WARM AIR

PRECIPITATION WILL MAINLY BE LIQUID...HOWEVER WITH A COLD LAYER NEAR

THE SURFACE FREEZING RAIN WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT CONCERN. FURTHER

NORTH ACROSS THE SAGINAW VALLEY PRECIPITATION WILL BE MAINLY FROZEN

BUT WITH BOUTS OF SLEET WITH THE WARM LAYER PARTIALLY MELTING THE

SNOW THEN REFREEZING AS IT ENCOUNTERS THE COOL SURFACE LAYER. AREAS

IN BETWEEN WILL SEE ALL OF THESE PRECIPITATION TYPES AT TIMES

DEPENDING ON THE STRENGTH OF THE WARM LAYER AROUND 800MB. THIS SYSTEM

GRR throwing in an analog (well not really) possibility...the Ice Storm of April, 2003

.LONG TERM...(415 PM EDT SAT MAR 19 2011)

(TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY)

CONCERN REMAINS FOR A MID WEEK STORM WHICH COULD BRING A VARIETY OF

PCPN TYPES TO THE REGION. THE MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT SHOWING

A WARM FRONT ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA ON TUESDAY WITH OVER RUNNING

PCPN TO IT/S NORTH INTO SOUTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN. THE BOUNDARY

REMAINS STATIONARY INTO WEDNESDAY AS LOW PRESSURE TRACKS ALONG IT.

AT THIS SAME TIME AN ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE WILL SIT OVER JAMES

BAY...PUMPING COLD SHALLOW AIR INTO MICHIGAN.

THE MAIN PLAYER IN THIS SETUP WILL BE THE HIGH PRESSURE AND HOW

STRONG IT BECOMES...SUPPLYING BOTH THE COLD AIR AND POTENTIALLY DRY

AIR. AS IT APPEARS NOW...THE HIGH WILL NOT SUPPLY ENOUGH DRY TO CUT

OFF THE PCPN INTO MI. THIS COULD SET UP THE POTENTIAL FOR AN ICE

STORM ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF THE CWA. ADJUSTMENTS WILL LIKELY BE

NEEDED AS THIS STORM EVOLVES...BUT FOR NOW HAVE PUT IN MOSTLY SNOW

ACROSS THE NORTHERN CWA...WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF A MIX AT TIMES.

FREEZING RAIN LOOKS TO BE THE PRIMARY PCPN TYPE OVER THE CENTRAL AND

SOUTHERN CWA...ALTHOUGH THE SOUTH COULD SEE PERIODS OF PLAIN RAIN.

ALL AREAS SHOULD CHANGE OVER TO SNOW FROM NORTH TO SOUTH ON

WEDNESDAY AS THE LOW PRESSURE PASSES AND BRINGS TEMPS BELOW FREEZING

THROUGHOUT THE COLUMN. THIS STORM WILL BEAR WATCHING AS IT HAS

ABUNDANT MOISTURE THAT WILL BE RUNNING INTO THE SHALLOW COLD AIR.

THE APRIL 3-4 2003 STORM COMES TO MIND WHERE SOME AREAS SAW OVER AN

INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. THIS SYSTEM APPEARS TO HAVE THAT

POTENTIAL TOO...ALTHOUGH IT IS DIFFICULT TO SAY AT THIS POINT WHERE

THE WORST CONDITIONS MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WATCH HEADLINES COULD BE

NEEDED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS IF TRENDS CONTINUE FOR TUESDAY

AFTERNOON INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY.

Pretty amazing how the models have basically done nearly the same thing with every system going back to January. Ofcourse it is not over with yet but still up to this point the models are behaving as they have since then. They slowly tick farther south and east and then have a run or two where they jump back north and then it is back to the other and in the end everything popping out of the rockies has ended up south of where the models had it but ofcourse some more so then others. Heck even the Groundhog blizz had a few runs that took the low to near/just west/nw of Chicago. I guess it is useful if you follow trends which works for me. It sucks though when you have people forgetting a day after the storm about the trends ( when the next system shows up ) though and thus the downside to that. How many systems have shown up on modeling and someone come along and day oh the models have been too far north with ejecting lows out of the rockies? yes many have been guilty of it. I think someone has already done it with this threat. :lol:

That 2/20 was one.

March 10/11th another.

Anyways.. See what happens over the next few days. I am sure we will see more of the flip flops etc. Atleast we all have something to track which beats boring. :weight_lift:

GRR throwing in an analog (well not really) possibility...the Ice Storm of April, 2003

A inch of Ice? :yikes::axe:

I'll take all rain over that. Thanks but no thanks. At this point i'll hope for the seasonal trend to kick into gear. If it still looks like ice then i'll wish for the warmer side. :lol:

Pretty amazing how the models have basically done nearly the same thing with every system going back to January. Ofcourse it is not over with yet but still up to this point the models are behaving as they have since then. They slowly tick farther south and east and then have a run or two where they jump back north and then it is back to the other and in the end everything popping out of the rockies has ended up south of where the models had it but ofcourse some more so then others. Heck even the Groundhog blizz had a few runs that took the low to near/just west/nw of Chicago. I guess it is useful if you follow trends which works for me. It sucks though when you have people forgetting a day after the storm about the trends ( when the next system shows up ) though and thus the downside to that. How many systems have shown up on modeling and someone come along and day oh the models have been too far north with ejecting lows out of the rockies? yes many have been guilty of it. I think someone has already done it with this threat. :lol:

That 2/20 was one.

March 10/11th another.

Anyways.. See what happens over the next few days. I am sure we will see more of the flip flops etc. Atleast we all have something to track which beats boring. :weight_lift:

One difference this time is climo. Storm track this time of year would tend to favour less suppression. That being said, the downstream pattern really isn't going to allow anything to cut. Like I said, the 12z suite consensus is probably as far north as this baby can come.

One difference this time is climo. Storm track this time of year would tend to favour less suppression. That being said, the downstream pattern really isn't going to allow anything to cut. Like I said, the 12z suite consensus is probably as far north as this baby can come.

I admit it is a bit of a tougher call this go around. That being one reason. A bit will come down ( as seem to be the case with many systems this year ) to the front runner tomorrow night. Thus tomorrow nights 00z runs may have a much better clue. Plus the models are now starting to sh!t the bed with the MJO progression etc. In short the wave has completely fizzled after crossing back into the circle of death at the phase 2/3 line. Usually *not always* means we get left with that pattern ( Phase 2/3 ) for a longer period and or till it emerges back out of the circle. The models have not been to hot either with handling the AO/NAO etc. Basically we have another nail biter.

what bothered me about DTX disc is that they worded it as if the track was set in stone, by mentioning snow in the Saginaw Valley, mix in the middle of the CWA, and freezing rain in the south. Very, very unwise imo. Yeah thats what the 12z runs would hint at. But what about the 6z showing snow? Should simply mention that anythings on the table attm.

Harry a few pics from the Apr 4, 2003 ice storm that struck southern MI from Wunderground. Detroits northern burbs were paralyzed by ice while we south of Detroit just saw a scenic, mostly non-damaging draping of ice (due to hours of 33F rain). Then on April 7th we all shared in the 4-7" of snowfall, problem is many north of Detroit were still without power.

7.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

0.jpg

18.jpg

2.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

what bothered me about DTX disc is that they worded it as if the track was set in stone, by mentioning snow in the Saginaw Valley, mix in the middle of the CWA, and freezing rain in the south. Very, very unwise imo. Yeah thats what the 12z runs would hint at. But what about the 6z showing snow? Should simply mention that anythings on the table attm.

Harry a few pics from the Apr 4, 2003 ice storm that struck southern MI from Wunderground. Detroits northern burbs were paralyzed by ice while we south of Detroit just saw a scenic, mostly non-damaging draping of ice (due to hours of 33F rain). Then on April 7th we all shared in the 4-7" of snowfall, problem is many north of Detroit were still without power.

7.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

0.jpg

18.jpg

2.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

The crippling affects of Ice far outweigh its sheer awe and natural beauty.

Nice pics. Impressive to see that in April.

You know briefly looking at the April 03 storm, it is not a bad analog fairly similar pattern at the time to what is forecasted currently.

April '03 was a massive south trender. On Monday (March 31) the GFS was progging the arctic boundary stalling out north of Lk Huron with temps approaching 70 here on Thursday (April 3). Within 72 hours it ended up being off by about 200 miles and I was at 29 with TSPL. :lol: I didn't follow the EURO back then, but it would have been interesting to see how it handled the situation.

April '03 was a massive south trender. On Monday (March 31) the GFS was progging the arctic boundary stalling out north of Lk Huron with temps approaching 70 here on Thursday (April 3). Within 72 hours it ended up being off by about 200 miles and I was at 29 with TSPL. :lol: I didn't follow the EURO back then, but it would have been interesting to see how it handled the situation.

I could see this system being the same thing, especially with the storm to the east and the high pressing in.

I'm prepared with dealing with all rain, to a full blown ice storm, to some snow, though snowstorm prospects look meager ATM. Riding the line=less work productivity neverthless.:lightning:.

I could see this system being the same thing, especially with the storm to the east and the high pressing in.

I thought you want your 40 bucks? :P

Seriously though, a storm like April '03 proves that climatologically favored storm tracks are subordinate to anomalous upper level patterns.

The one difference with this storm is that the models are hinting at some sort of partial phase with the PV, rather than keeping the PV completely separate and acting solely as a suppressing agent. This is why there's been a subtle northward creep the last 36 hours or so.

I thought you want your 40 bucks? :P

Seriously though, a storm like April '03 proves that climatologically favored storm tracks are subordinate to anomalous upper level patterns.

The one difference with this storm is that the models are hinting at some sort of partial phase with the PV, rather than keeping the PV completely separate and acting solely as a suppressing agent. This is why there's been a subtle northward creep the last 36 hours or so.

You'll get 1.6 before end of April I'm sure of it, but I'll pass on 33 and rain here.

Archived