• Last Reply

DTX: Growing more concerned with cooler temps supporting more/mostly frozen QPF

DIP IN THE HEIGHT FIELD AMPLIFIED BY THE PASSAGE OF A WEAK SHORTWAVE

OVER THE NORTHERN LAKES WILL ALLOW THE SOUTHERN EXTENSION OF AN

EXPANSIVE 1040MB ARCTIC HIGH TO PENETRATE SOUTHWARD INTO THE GREAT

LAKES FOR THE MONDAY NIGHT/TUESDAY PERIOD. THE EVOLVING NORTHEAST

FLOW WILL ALLOW A COLDER/DRIER AIRMASS TO FILTER IN. ASSUMING THE

STRENGTH IS VALID...THIS WOULD PLACE THE EFFECTIVE BAROCLINIC ZONE

AND POTENTIAL OVERRUNNING SOUTH OF THE AREA THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY.

CONDITIONS STILL LOOK TO DETERIORATE WITHIN THAT TUESDAY EVENING TO

WEDNESDAY WINDOW AS THE MOISTURE TRANSPORT STRENGTHENS ON THE

DOWNSTREAM SIDE OF THE STRONG MID LEVEL WAVE LIFTING OUT OF THE

SOUTHWEST CONUS. THIS WILL PROVIDE A FAVORABLE OVERRUNNING SCENARIO

INTO THE NORTHERN OHIO VALLEY/SOUTHERN GREAT LAKES...WITH A COOL

RESIDENT BOUNDARY LAYER TUCKED BENEATH THE BROADENING ELEVATED WARM

LAYER BRINGING PRECIPITATION TYPE ISSUES THROUGHOUT. MODEL

GUIDANCE TRENDING COOLER THROUGHOUT THE COLUMN WITH EACH SUBSEQUENT

RUN...WITH SOUNDING/THICKNESS DATA FAVORING MORE FROZEN/FREEZING

OVER LIQUID FORM. STILL PLENTY OF TIME FOR ADDITIONAL

ADJUSTMENTS...BUT WILL NUDGE THE FORECAST MORE IN THIS DIRECTION

WITH THIS PACKAGE.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=DTX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

12Z Euro (Frozen QPF only)

DET: 0.62...0.17 is marginal out of that

DTW: 0.44

BTL: 0.65...part of that is rather marginal

PTK: 0.53

MKE: 0.75

GRB: 1.02

MSP: 1.29

Well, without a doubt this has the looks of an interesting storm. There haven't been many big early spring snowstorms here recently. The main one I remember (although apparently 2005 had an interesting one in some parts of the area) was the Good Friday 2008 snowstorm, which was mostly notable b/c it stranded travelers for a day or two.

Well, without a doubt this has the looks of an interesting storm. There haven't been many big early spring snowstorms here recently. The main one I remember (although apparently 2005 had an interesting one in some parts of the area) was the Good Friday 2008 snowstorm, which was mostly notable b/c it stranded travelers for a day or two.

Look up April 7, 2000

March 21/22 i believe it was? That one?

That was a very sweet event and my first 12+ event since the Jan 2005 clipper on roids. This is by far one of my favorite snow storms since moving here. It was like a Jan storm with the blowing and drifting ( thus not the typical wet spring snow storm ) etc with some very nice snowfall rates. The snow stuck to the ground the moment is began. A underrated storm for sure. Made up for the buzzkill earlier in the month that slammed Ohio.

Couple of obs from that.

Battle Creek, Kellogg Airport

Lat: 42.3 Lon: -85.25 Elev: 939

Last Update on Mar 21, 12:53 pm EDT

Snow Freezing Fog

Temp: 27°F (-3°C)

Humidity: 89 %

Wind Speed: E 9 MPH

Barometer: 30.20" (1024.1 mb)

Dewpoint: 24°F (-4°C)

Wind Chill: 18°F (-8°C)

Visibility: 0.25 mi.

Battle Creek, Kellogg Airport

Lat: 42.3 Lon: -85.25 Elev: 939

Last Update on Mar 21, 2:53 pm EDT

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog

Temp: 28°F (-2°C)

Humidity: 88 %

Wind Speed: E 12 G 18 MPH

Barometer: 30.11" (1020.9 mb)

Dewpoint: 25°F (-4°C)

Wind Chill: 18°F (-8°C)

Visibility: 0.25 mi

Per the data had about a half inch of rain followed by 3.8" snowfall. Then there was another 1.6" 2 days later. Guessing this was a big one not far away?

A late season winter storm struck southcentral and southeast Wisconsin with a prolonged period of moderate to occasionally heavy snow, northeast winds 20-25 mph (17-22 knots) gusting to 35-45 mph (30-41 knots), poor visibilities of 1/4 to 3/4 miles, and temperatures in the upper 20s to lower 30s. At the start of the winter storm the snow was melting just about as fast as it was falling, but by mid-afternoon the snow was accumulating which led to considerable blowing and drifting of snow. Snow drifts attained a height of 2 to 4 feet in exposed locations. Some light freezing drizzle was observed at times in between the convective-like snow bands that rotated northwestward across the area. During the late afternoon hours near-blizzard or near white-out conditions were occasionally observed which led to numerous vehicle accidents and indirectly-related injuries in some cases. There was at least 1 indirectly-related vehicle accident fatality (Rock County). The storm finally let up during the nighttime hours. Snow accumulations over southcentral Wisconsin varied from 3 to 5 inches, but western Dane county had accumulations of 5 to 8.5 inches. Accumulations over southeastern Wisconsin varied from 4 to 7 inches, but the West Allis area (Milwaukee County) picked up 9.4 inches and the West Bend area (Washington County) registered 9 inches. The city of Racine (Racine County) had the highest measured wind gust of 47 mph (41 knots). Synoptically, the responsible low pressure moved across southern Kansas through central Illinois to northern Indiana into lower Michigan. Moisture evaporating from ice-free Lake Michigan probably enhanced the snow accumulations across southeastern Wisconsin.

A late season winter storm struck southcentral and southeast Wisconsin with a prolonged period of moderate to occasionally heavy snow, northeast winds 20-25 mph (17-22 knots) gusting to 35-45 mph (30-41 knots), poor visibilities of 1/4 to 3/4 miles, and temperatures in the upper 20s to lower 30s. At the start of the winter storm the snow was melting just about as fast as it was falling, but by mid-afternoon the snow was accumulating which led to considerable blowing and drifting of snow. Snow drifts attained a height of 2 to 4 feet in exposed locations. Some light freezing drizzle was observed at times in between the convective-like snow bands that rotated northwestward across the area. During the late afternoon hours near-blizzard or near white-out conditions were occasionally observed which led to numerous vehicle accidents and indirectly-related injuries in some cases. There was at least 1 indirectly-related vehicle accident fatality (Rock County). The storm finally let up during the nighttime hours. Snow accumulations over southcentral Wisconsin varied from 3 to 5 inches, but western Dane county had accumulations of 5 to 8.5 inches. Accumulations over southeastern Wisconsin varied from 4 to 7 inches, but the West Allis area (Milwaukee County) picked up 9.4 inches and the West Bend area (Washington County) registered 9 inches. The city of Racine (Racine County) had the highest measured wind gust of 47 mph (41 knots). Synoptically, the responsible low pressure moved across southern Kansas through central Illinois to northern Indiana into lower Michigan. Moisture evaporating from ice-free Lake Michigan probably enhanced the snow accumulations across southeastern Wisconsin.

Thanks.

Interesting storm. Grand Rapids evidently picked up 6.4" from that.

March 21/22 i believe it was? That one?

That was a very sweet event and my first 12+ event since the Jan 2005 clipper on roids. This is by far one of my favorite snow storms since moving here. It was like a Jan storm with the blowing and drifting ( thus not the typical wet spring snow storm ) etc with some very nice snowfall rates. The snow stuck to the ground the moment is began. A underrated storm for sure. Made up for the buzzkill earlier in the month that slammed Ohio.

Couple of obs from that.

Yes it was!:snowing:

wisconsinsix should have started the thread.

Every time he does he get hit good with snow (or things trend in our favor).

I did get hit with 3-4 inches with both of the storm threads I have done, but I'm not convinced I'm good luck, even for your neck of the woods. Hoosier should do all these threads, since his efforts resulted in the big one.:whistle:

I would think you would've been on the southern end of that one, if anything.

Heck no...I was on the very northern fringes of the axis. (bordering Detroit to the north) On the morning of Good Friday my forecast was 1" or less, ended with 4" and a WSW.

Wasn't this Good Friday storm in 2008 the one with the sharp northern/NNE gradient?

lol, I got 4" with that one, very forgettable.

Yes. The heaviest was just west/wsw of here. Kalamazoo to the lake and down to IN line ended up with 14-16" from it.

Heck no...I was on the very northern fringes of the axis. (bordering Detroit to the north) On the morning of Good Friday my forecast was 1" or less, ended with 4" and a WSW.

This system ( this thread is about ) has a few similarites to that good Friday storm interestingly enough as there could be a decent cut off the farther north and east/ene/ne you are. Just a matter of where that line is.

Who's going to do the Euro play-by-play since moneyboy's banning? Furthermore, who's going to stay up for it? :popcorn:

I can't do text output ( for now ) but can do the rest. We ( sv ) are now working on getting the text output from the euro. I have been up a bit later again and so if i am up i'll try and get it up when the euro rolls.

Archived