Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 21-24 Winter Storm

kab2791

Waterloo tops Ontario snowstorm totals

WATERLOO REGION — If you’re still struggling to clear your driveway after Wednesday’s storm, take some pride in this: we received more snow than anywhere else in Ontario.

The 26 centimetres of snow that fell at the University of Waterloo weather station and the 25 cm at the Region of Waterloo International Airport topped Environment Canada’s storm summary from the massive spring system. Mississauga notched a total of 23 cm, while parts of Kitchener and Cambridge received 20 to 21 cm.

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/article/506662--waterloo-tops-ontario-snowstorm-totals

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont know how long the snow lasted, but remember you do 6-hour measurments, so technically if theres 5.9" on the ground from, say, a 18 hour storm, its easily going to be 6.0-6.2', especially in spring. Now, that of course is provided it was a fairly easy to measure snowfall where a snowboard comes in handy. If this was a wind-driven storm, then its basically the observers best judgment. In any case, congrats. Its not fun feeling winters icy breath on the lap of spring when you have bare ground (Im FREEZING as I type, despite the windows of course being closed and the furnace purring away), but I had had 5 storms drop 6"+ during your 2 year drought, not to mention a slew of 4-5.6" type deals. You were due.

I should clarify. That 6" was cumulative of 3 measurements. So my last measurement was a battle between 1.3" and 1.4". Question though....I measured at 10am and 4pm, clearing my board both times. However, the snow stopped at 7pm, only three hours after my last measurement. Do I have to wait another 3 hours before measuring or can I reduce my interval on account of the snow stopping?

Archived