• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Turn out the lights...

weathafella

It is too early to give up...no one can see what the pattern can be like March 20th onwards, and plenty of places in SNE can reasonably expect snow at that juncture.

Well rats bid - there it is, the kiss of death. Now it DEFINITELY won't snow anymore ...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer to the bold. Yes.

This is pretty awful.

He is likely referring to the snow event that the day 6 Euro shows.

I'm not particularly excited about that setup though. So I'm expecting very little if anything through the 15th.

Though once we get into the shortened wavelength season, most events will be off the radar almost completely until probably inside 5 or 6 days.

He is likely referring to the snow event that the day 6 Euro shows.

I'm not particularly excited about that setup though. So I'm expecting very little if anything through the 15th.

Though once we get into the shortened wavelength season, most events will be off the radar almost completely until probably inside 5 or 6 days.

I was actualy looking at days 5-8 which is as far as I go on the Euro which looks pretty interesting today.

Basically starting to become a non factor now. Tis the cutoff cold ULL season upon us, manufactured storms. Looking for 1 more 19-23Rd

I don't think we're totally out of the game but the best Marches here had a big -NAO like 58, 60, and 67. Starting to get discouraged with the pattern over the North Atlantic; cold is totally latitude based now with the big vortex over Baffin Island so I think it's more of a NNE pattern.

I don't think we're totally out of the game but the best Marches here had a big -NAO like 58, 60, and 67. Starting to get discouraged with the pattern over the North Atlantic; cold is totally latitude based now with the big vortex over Baffin Island so I think it's more of a NNE pattern.

Mar '67 was a raging +NAO...it was a pattern you'd never expect snow out of just looking at it.

March sucks for snow . Our winters are now 3 months instead of 4

We've been getting ripped in December recently at the expense of March snow. I actually prefer snow in December for the holiday season, but it would be nice to get back to getting a few late season events with a ton of juiced up subtropical moisture. Still time for one this year but the clock is ticking.

4 Decembers in a row above average. Ironically the last season with a terrible December ('06-'07) was the same season that last had an above average March for snow.

Mar '67 was a raging +NAO...it was a pattern you'd never expect snow out of just looking at it.

Yes you are right...I think one of the Nor'easters had a temporary -NAO, though, right?

The March 1960 look was the classic Nor'easter as well as March 1958...big -EPO/-NAO. The block gets even better when it moves towards Hudson Bay, especially when it traps a late season cut-off low. Don't really see that happening this season with the big vortex sitting over Eastern Canada and keeping the cold very latitude-based.

March 1960 had 32" in Southern Westchester, just absurd. The rest of the winter 59-60 was only mediocre, however.

We've been getting ripped in December recently at the expense of March snow. I actually prefer snow in December for the holiday season, but it would be nice to get back to getting a few late season events with a ton of juiced up subtropical moisture. Still time for one this year but the clock is ticking.

4 Decembers in a row above average. Ironically the last season with a terrible December ('06-'07) was the same season that last had an above average March for snow.

March 2007 was bitter in NNE...BTV got down to -18F on March 7th I believe, which was a record. It was some brutal cold at Midd late that year. The St. Patty's Day storm was also epic for NNE but I think you mixed, Will?

March 1960 through February 1961 was a very memorable time in this area for weather lovers...32" Nor'easter in Mar 1960, Hurricane Donna in September 1960, and then the three 18"+ blizzards in the 60-61 winter.

Not sure how it affected SNE but apparently 60-61 was a huge year at ORH if 44" was on the ground. How much did ORH record in the Feb 1961 storm?

March 2007 was bitter in NNE...BTV got down to -18F on March 7th I believe, which was a record. It was some brutal cold at Midd late that year. The St. Patty's Day storm was also epic for NNE but I think you mixed, Will?

We mixed in the '07 St. Pattys day storm but we still finished with 13" of snow. It didn't mix until we had 10" and then we held onto a sleet/snow mix to accumulate another 3". The 2nd half of winter was actually pretty good, but the first half was unforgivable.

We mixed in the '07 St. Pattys day storm but we still finished with 13" of snow. It didn't mix until we had 10" and then we held onto a sleet/snow mix to accumulate another 3". The 2nd half of winter was actually pretty good, but the first half was unforgivable.

Second half was epic at Middlebury...brutal arctic front in mid January (16/17, perhaps, Will?)...dropped us from record warmth to near record cold with lows in the double digit negatives. 25" in Middlebury with Valentine's Day 2007, then about 12" with the St. Patty's Day storm and record lows on 3/7, then the Tax Day Nor'easter that dropped 5" on campus and 12"+ in the mountains. Spring didn't arrive till April 20th, basically made up for the raging +NAO/+AO miserable pattern that had dominated December and the first half of January, which were like +8. I was wondering why people bragged about VT winters since I had seen so many more severe winters in NYC metro, until late January's cold and the V-Day Blizzard. People were jumping off the dining hall roof after V-Day and I remember the brutal walks at 9am to a class 15 minutes away in negative values...

Shameful talk. Winter rocks on, you guys just don't try hard enough.

February and March are looking to end below normal snowfall in SNE, Pete. Definitely hasn't been impressive at lower latitudes since the pattern switched after the 1/27 storm. Classic Jekyll+Hyde winter with cold and snowy first half and then disappointment.

February and March are looking to end below normal snowfall in SNE, Pete. Definitely hasn't been impressive at lower latitudes since the pattern switched after the 1/27 storm. Classic Jekyll+Hyde winter with cold and snowy first half and then disappointment.

No disappointment here. Winter continues to rock. Disappointment only if you sit on your azz and keep your nose pressed against the computer screen watching for a 300hour threat/non threat to verify. Lots of Winter to be had outside the 4 walls. Much of SNE saw above average snowfall in Feb and March is only one week old with a major snowfall already on the boards just 60 miles North. Patience grasshopper.

No disappointment here. Winter continues to rock. Disappointment only if you sit on your azz and keep your nose pressed against the computer screen watching for a 300hour threat/non threat to verify. Lots of Winter to be had outside the 4 walls. Much of SNE saw above average snowfall in Feb and March is only one week old with a major snowfall already on the boards just 60 miles North. Patience grasshopper.

Big rain.....big big rain. This event sucked for SNE.

Big rain.....big big rain. This event sucked for SNE.

But just a short drive North it was an awesome event. If the snow won't come to me I go to it. Work hard, play hard.

Sorry to read this. WHat sucked for me on this storm was having 16 inches of cement!

Nice Andy, hope you get more. Hope we all get much more. I think there are a few more tricks coming from this Winter. I'll be very surprised if there isn't a major azz kicking before it's really done.

Congrats on the big storm!!

Thanks will one of the bigger ones in a long time (for March).

But just a short drive North it was an awesome event. If the snow won't come to me I go to it. Work hard, play hard.

Nice Andy, hope you get more. Hope we all get much more. I think there are a few more tricks coming from this Winter. I'll be very surprised if there isn't a major azz kicking before it's really done.

Unfortunately I think you're right!

Must have been epic at MRG! Epic fail for sne, this next one looks to piss on even ski countries parade, your snowpack will be ugly post friday brother, we all love snow, and being outside in it, but none of us have control over the weather, lets just hope we all stay safe and flood free over the next couple weeks. Scary to think putting 3 inches of water on a fresh 24" snowpack up north, ramifications downstream not good, the Housatonic down here just kicked ass and took names..................time for a reality check Pete.

Archived