Newest Member
    joxey
1 year ago

MJO812

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most frustrating storm ever.

R/S line was literally 5 miles away.....the entire day.

Still ended up with 11" but it could have been well over 2 feet

Heck, I probably had 2' on my road at one point devilsmiley.gif

I remember HPN was reporting rain all day at like 33/32, most frustrating storm ever for SW CT. I had already piled up over 10" by the time HPN changed to snow.

You've done well this year though. What is your seasonal total?

That storm was a very good one, but it deosn't compare to December 2010.... There was no 30+ reports in NW NJ nor NE NJ unlike Dec 2010.

Harriman, NY and Highland Mills, NY both reported over 30" from the Snowicane. Who cares about the Dirty Jerz anyway? devilsmiley.gif

December 2010 was a great storm for wind but only finished with 13" here, very disappointing to sit in subsidence while NNJ got raked.

Harriman, NY and Highland Mills, NY both reported over 30" from the Snowicane. Who cares about the Dirty Jerz anyway? devilsmiley.gif

December 2010 was a great storm for wind but only finished with 13" here, very disappointing to sit in subsidence while NNJ got raked.

LOL. Okay, I can give ya that one, Nate

yeah, Orange County got KILLED with 36".

For my area of northern Queens, best storm was Jan.26-27, 2011. 18"+ with insane snow rates.

And sickest part was 6 lightning strikes with loud thunder all within 15 mins. Overall, had 9 lightning strikes for the storm.

Stunning storm for my area.

Radar image at 1am over all of NYC was one of sickest radar images ever.

NEPA attack...

One of the best storms of my lifetime. February 25th brought me about 4" of wet snow with temps 32-34. But then things started to change after sunset, as we dipped into the mid 20s. The snow got heavier and of higher ratios, really piling up quickly. It became a blizzard during the overnight hours into the early AM of the 26th. It snowed most of the 26th, and then we added another two inches on the 27th.

16.8" when the storm was all said and done.

Craziest storm I have tracked, with the blizzard in NYC and rain into NNE.

It probably was the closest storm NYC's had to 1888 in a long time. The heaviest snow axis was in a similar area, and the occlusion/retrograding low was also similar. 1888 might have been a bit further east with the heavy snow, since very heavy amounts also made it into CT and Long Island, but when it was snowing here last 2/25 it was an amazing sight. The wind combined with the snow from around 2-6am on the 26th was incredible. The snow was a very wet consistency, but still blew around as if it was a regular blizzard. Boston being all rain was also a slight bit of consolation, not gonna lie. ;)

It probably was the closest storm NYC's had to 1888 in a long time. The heaviest snow axis was in a similar area, and the occlusion/retrograding low was also similar. 1888 might have been a bit further east with the heavy snow, since very heavy amounts also made it into CT and Long Island, but when it was snowing here last 2/25 it was an amazing sight. The wind combined with the snow from around 2-6am on the 26th was incredible. The snow was a very wet consistency, but still blew around as if it was a regular blizzard. Boston being all rain was also a slight bit of consolation, not gonna lie. ;)

Even Middlebury, VT where I was attending college was all rain...I drove home in the wee hours to see the storm in Westchester and was so thankful for my decision. Some of the higher elevations of VT switched to snow towards the storm's end/occlusion, but it was tremendous to see Central Park reporting heavy snow while Burlington reported rain at like 34F. I scarcely can imagine what would have happened if we'd had more of an arctic airmass in place, but I guess that's the game you play with strong El Niño winters.

Blizzard of 1888 snow map:

Compared to the 2/25-26/10 snow map:

Northeast_snowfall_map_feb_16_2010.PNG

The axis of heavy snow definitely made it further west into NJ in 1888 (hence the 24 inches in my area as opposed to 8 ;) ) as well as further east into LI, CT, and MA. And of course the axis of heaviest snow in 1888 was also heavier with widespread 30 to even 40+ inch totals.

Three things...

1. I remember it was the 84 hour NAM (correct me if I'm wrong) that showed NYC seeing Snow while New England saw rain... I remember that scenario being met with scoffs y the New England thread.

2. I was stuck at 40 degrees and Rain in Hanover, NH, while NYC was Heavy Snow... Of course, that never happened when I could have used the snowday in NYC...

3. Funny that on the anniversary of it, CNE and NNE got 10+ inches, while NYC suffered temperatures above 40 and Rain...

Notable Snowstorms at the NWS Office at Upton This Century:

Dec. 20, 2009: 26.3"

Feb. 16. 2003: 21.1"

Dec. 5, 2003: 19.8"

Dec . 26, 2010: 18.8"

Jan. 23, 2005: 17.5"

March 5, 2001: 14.2"

Jan. 11, 2011: 14.1"

March 2, 2009: 14.0"

Feb. 11, 2006: 13.9"

Feb. 10, 2010: 13.4"

Jan. 27, 2011: 13.3"

Feb. 26, 2010: 10.4"

Blizzard of 1888 snow map:

Compared to the 2/25-26/10 snow map:

The axis of heavy snow definitely made it further west into NJ in 1888 (hence the 24 inches in my area as opposed to 8 ;) ) as well as further east into LI, CT, and MA. And of course the axis of heaviest snow in 1888 was also heavier with widespread 30 to even 40+ inch totals.

It would have also helped if temps had been colder, considering that NYC got over 3" of liquid from this storm. March 1888 had a rapid crash of temperatures as rain changed over to a brutal blizzard.

This was a fun storm to track.......it was hilarious to see Boston get heavy rain while NYC and northern NJ got a MECS/HECS.

Yes it was, especially after the hell our area had to endure during 07-08 while Boston cashed in over and over again. :devilsmiley:

December 30, 2000 was another storm which gave NYC and northern NJ a MECS while Boston got heavy rain. Doesn't happen often, but when it does... :thumbsup:

Yes it was, especially after the hell our area had to endure during 07-08 while Boston cashed in over and over again. :devilsmiley:

December 30, 2000 was another storm which gave NYC and northern NJ a MECS while Boston got heavy rain.

Boston is overplayed as a snow town in this area...their mean is about 42"...the perception is that they are snowier than that because their average has been close to 50" since 1992-93. Bradley Field near Hartford has long been a climatologically snowier place than Logan Field in Boston over the years...by about 7 to 8 inches in an average year.

It would have also helped if temps had been colder, considering that NYC got over 3" of liquid from this storm. March 1888 had a rapid crash of temperatures as rain changed over to a brutal blizzard.

I wonder how much I got in March 1888 here at 340' elevation in Dobbs Ferry. White Plains reported 32" and the Bronx (?) had 36" on the Kocin map, so I imagine a saw somewhere around 3 feet. It would have been a very elevation dependent storm as it started as rain in NYC and then changed over, with marginal accumulations in the Mid-Atlantic and Cape Cod. It's probably the biggest blizzard my backyard has seen, although March 1960 also had around 30" here, and December 1947 had 28". It's interesting how March is one of the most volatile months: you can either have mega-snowstorms or just mild weather.

Another impressive late-season storm was March 1958, which dumped close to 30" in parts of the Poconos and nearly 12" here in Westchester. March 1967 had a 12"+ snowstorm for NYC metro followed by lows dipping to 0F on LI around the equinox, the latest occurrence of such cold temperatures. And of course we all remember March 1993...it's the temperature contrasts and tendency for cut-offs late in the season that make March such an exciting boom or bust month.

Boston is overplayed as a snow town in this area...their mean is about 42"...the perception is that they are snowier than that because their average has been close to 50" since 1992-93. Bradley Field near Hartford has long been a climatologically snowier place than Logan Field in Boston over the years...by about 7 to 8 inches in an average year.

Kind of goes both ways though...most people in NYC (esp young weenies) think they are much snowier than they are too. They think NYC should be getting 35-40" per year when its not that snowy. But I know you probably already know this being a climo stalwart.

BOS is probably more realistically 43-44" just to nitpick. Their '71-'00 was 42" but we all know how bad the '80s were to skew that (much like NYC got skewed to 22" in that time frame) . The Running 50 year mean at BOS is near 44"...60 year mean is 43.4".

December 30, 2000 was another storm which gave NYC and northern NJ a MECS while Boston got heavy rain. Doesn't happen often, but when it does... :thumbsup:

Yeah, February 2010 was a hellish month for SNE. All three KU's really screwed Boston painfully.

I wonder how much I got in March 1888 here at 340' elevation in Dobbs Ferry. White Plains reported 32" and the Bronx (?) had 36" on the Kocin map, so I imagine a saw somewhere around 3 feet. It would have been a very elevation dependent storm as it started as rain in NYC and then changed over, with marginal accumulations in the Mid-Atlantic and Cape Cod. It's probably the biggest blizzard my backyard has seen, although March 1960 also had around 30" here, and December 1947 had 28". It's interesting how March is one of the most volatile months: you can either have mega-snowstorms or just mild weather.

Another impressive late-season storm was March 1958, which dumped close to 30" in parts of the Poconos and nearly 12" here in Westchester. March 1967 had a 12"+ snowstorm for NYC metro followed by lows dipping to 0F on LI around the equinox, the latest occurrence of such cold temperatures. And of course we all remember March 1993...it's the temperature contrasts and tendency for cut-offs late in the season that make March such an exciting boom or bust month.

1888 not elevation dependent once cold air filtered in...temps west of the wind shift line quickly fell into the teens and single digits.

Kind of goes both ways though...most people in NYC (esp young weenies) think they are much snowier than they are too. They think NYC should be getting 35-40" per year when its not that snowy. But I know you probably already know this being a climo stalwart.

BOS is probably more realistically 43-44" just to nitpick. Their '71-'00 was 42" but we all know how bad the '80s were to skew that (much like NYC got skewed to 22" in that time frame) . The Running 50 year mean at BOS is near 44"...60 year mean is 43.4".

And of course I'm quick to admit Logan is the worst place in town for snow....

And of course I'm quick to admit Logan is the worst place in town for snow....

Yeah some of the perception of Boston being snowier than their avergae might ring true in recent years on the boards too (compared to the ages when we couldn't show our snow on the internet like now)...most people who post about snow from BOS average several inches more than the airport...closer to 48-50"...whereas NYC's central park is a bit more representative of the local snowfall climo. NYC is one of the few cities on I-95 corridor that has their snowfall measurements in a "good" area most representative. PHL and DCA are in the BOS boat with terrible spots (though PHL has a reputation of inflating to offset it some).

Also, Logan Airport is right on the coast. I'm sure Boston Common sees 2-3" more than Logan every year, so their average is probably around 45" for the downtown in reality.

Although 45" is a lot more than NYC, I figure I probably average around 38-39" here so I only get about half a foot less than Boston per season, not bad. I think people often refer to Boston as a snow town and Albany as an unsnowy place just because of recent trends, but the truth is that in the long range, Albany will get more snow due to their interior location. We've seen a dearth of coastal huggers the past few years which makes it harder for Upstate NY to match SNE in winters like 04-05...

I have become accustomed to getting at least 45"/season here in NYC metro because of our recent run of historic winters. Since 02-03, six out of nine winters have seen 45" or more in Dobbs Ferry...that's just exceptional. The last two winters have been about 70" each, which puts 09-10 and 10-11 in the upper echelon of snowy seasons here along with greats like 95-96 and 60-61. I'm sure our luck will run out sometime although I have to wonder if there might be a favorable climate realignment occurring with the solar min triggering an extreme -NAO/-AO and thus colder temperatures and more coastal snowstorms. The low solar period may also bring cooler global temperatures and better arctic ice which could augment the winters here. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010s goes down as a very snowy decade for NYC given that the 1960s had the same -PDO/-NAO pattern and Central Park averaged over 30"/season then. The 2000s were the first decade to average over 30"/season since the 1960s, and we're certainly starting off well this decade with over 60" already in the books.

Yeah some of the perception of Boston being snowier than their avergae might ring true in recent years on the boards too (compared to the ages when we couldn't show our snow on the internet like now)...most people who post about snow from BOS average several inches more than the airport...closer to 48-50"...whereas NYC's central park is a bit more representative of the local snowfall climo. NYC is one of the few cities on I-95 corridor that has their snowfall measurements in a "good" area most representative. PHL and DCA are in the BOS boat with terrible spots (though PHL has a reputation of inflating to offset it some).

I think BWI also measures snow in a decent area, right on the fall line and outside the worst of the heat island.

Also, Logan Airport is right on the coast. I'm sure Boston Common sees 2-3" more than Logan every year, so their average is probably around 45" for the downtown in reality.

Although 45" is a lot more than NYC, I figure I probably average around 38-39" here so I only get about half a foot less than Boston per season, not bad. I think people often refer to Boston as a snow town and Albany as an unsnowy place just because of recent trends, but the truth is that in the long range, Albany will get more snow due to their interior location. We've seen a dearth of coastal huggers the past few years which makes it harder for Upstate NY to match SNE in winters like 04-05...

I have become accustomed to getting at least 45"/season here in NYC metro because of our recent run of historic winters. Since 02-03, six out of nine winters have seen 45" or more in Dobbs Ferry...that's just exceptional. The last two winters have been about 70" each, which puts 09-10 and 10-11 in the upper echelon of snowy seasons here along with greats like 95-96 and 60-61. I'm sure our luck will run out sometime although I have to wonder if there might be a favorable climate realignment occurring with the solar min triggering an extreme -NAO/-AO and thus colder temperatures and more coastal snowstorms. The low solar period may also bring cooler global temperatures and better arctic ice which could augment the winters here. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010s goes down as a very snowy decade for NYC given that the 1960s had the same -PDO/-NAO pattern and Central Park averaged over 30"/season then. The 2000s were the first decade to average over 30"/season since the 1960s, and we're certainly starting off well this decade with over 60" already in the books.

NYC has had above average snowfall in 7 out of the last 9 winters starting in '02-'03. Only '07-'08 and '06-'07 were below avg. That is a remarkable run. Despite Boston's good decade, they have had in that same time span only 5 out of 9 being above average.Though BOS really cleaned up compared to the M.A. in '04-'05, '07-'08, and '08-'09 (and now '10-'11...esp compared to S of NYC...NYC has th ebest anomaly this winter) so their mean is still very high in those 9 years...and the only monster dud was '06-'07. Despite '09-'10 being sucky for screw jobs, they were still just shy of 36" which isn't horrendously below avg.

And we have an incredibly lengthy climate record from Milton / Blue Hill....less than 10 miles SSW of Logan but at a little over 600 feet a.s.l.....long term snowfall average is around 60".

My top ten storms since 1996 back home in Bridgewater (as I'm painfully aware, December 2010 was a world of a difference between here in New Brunswick and back home :( ):

Just in case this makes you feel any better, the January storm that happened a month ago brought about 14" of snow at my home, but I was at college since it was during the week, and it's located right near DC. I saw 4-5" of slop from that storm, while better areas just a few miles away got 8", and my home town got over a foot. The fact that temps were marginal really mattered.

So I basically missed the only MECS of the season :arrowhead:

And we have an incredibly lengthy climate record from Milton / Blue Hill....less than 10 miles SSW of Logan but at a little over 600 feet a.s.l.....long term snowfall average is around 60".

Ray (40/70 benchmark) is only about 15 miles NW of BOS at about 100 feet above sea level and he averages 61-62" per year there too...so the immediate suburbs are quite a bit snowier than the immediate NYC suburbs (inside of 20 miles) than KBOS is vs KNYC are just using airport totals.

I think a lot of that creates the discrepancies we see in "perception". Numbers are great, but sometimes you have to dig to see where they came from. Without the more interactive and information trading we have today, I bet a ton of people would still think your area on the north shore of LI is still less snowy than NYC when you average a solid 4-5" more than them per season. But the "perception" in the 1980s and probably most of the 1990s was that you averaged considerably less because you stuck out in the ocean. But we know that is not true in reality. The north shore of LI acts almost like a "mini SNE" in that it uses the central hills and the land mass to the south to "Block" some of the warm air intrusion and in addition they aren't afraid to use the latitude advantage that many ignore.

Notable Snowstorms at the NWS Office at Upton This Century:

Dec. 20, 2009: 26.3"

Feb. 16. 2003: 21.1"

Dec. 5, 2003: 19.8"

Dec . 26, 2010: 18.8"

Jan. 23, 2005: 17.5"

March 5, 2001: 14.2"

Jan. 11, 2011: 14.1"

March 2, 2009: 14.0"

Feb. 11, 2006: 13.9"

Feb. 10, 2010: 13.4"

Jan. 27, 2011: 13.3"

Feb. 26, 2010: 10.4"

that of course is entirely insane.

similar, though less extreme events here in cnj.

other than the late 50s-mid60s...... was there any period on record which anywhere near resembles the concentrated number of large snowstorms in the nyc metro area?

Archived