Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1 year ago

MJO812

Holy ****, some place in Mass got 40.5" in 1/11/11

Yes, and North Haven got 30.5" in 12 hours.

If only the H500 and surface low went further south....

It would have been another 24 to 30 inch snowfall in 12 hours.

It had some incredible frontogenesis in bands and lifting aloft to produce those bright bands.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, and North Haven got 30.5" in 12 hours.

If only the H500 and surface low went further south....

It would have been another 24 to 30 inch snowfall in 12 hours.

Yeah, the article compared it to 12/26/10 except the cutoff was northeast-- we needed it to bomb out just 3 hours sooner....

My favorite storm is still January 1996, although 12/26 is up there also-- definite top 5. My top 6 includes Jan 1996, PD2, Feb 1983, 12/26/10 and 1/26/11 2/26/10.... funny how 4,5,6 all occurred in a 12 month period lol.

My top 5 personal favorites (as I was too young to really experience 1/96 or 12/30/00):

1.) PDII

2.) 1/26-27/11

3.) 2/12/06

4.) 2/10/10

5.) 1/22-23/05

Unfortunately MBY got screwed over by 12/26/10 and 2/25-26/10 which is why they're not on the list.

The 2/26/10 storm was probably the most exciting storm I've ever tracked. It was at the tail end of an historic winter for the MA , and came on the heels of another bomb getting squashed south of NYC metro. It looked and felt like our last real chance to get in on the action, and it was. The late season arrival brought so many question WRT to timing, temperature, track, and of course, precipitation type. Forecasts were wildly inconsistent and it added to the drama as we watched the system approach our area. When it finally arrived, the radar showed us how strangely the rain/snow line had orientated itself and that the retrograding we had witnessed in guidance was becoming a real possibility - the thermal dynamics at play were just insane.

Well, we all know what happened thereafter. The rain/snow line set up shop and didn't budge all day long until later that evening when temps crashed and the real fun began. What could have been a sloppy mess ended up dropping 20"+ in Central Park. A snowstorm complete with heavy winds, driving snow, and some thunder and lightening. It was just an incredible surprise and a great way to end a pretty rough season up until that point.

The 2/26/10 storm was probably the most exciting storm I've ever tracked. It was at the tail end of an historic winter for the MA , and came on the heels of another bomb getting squashed south of NYC metro. It looked and felt like our last real chance to get in on the action, and it was. The late season arrival brought so many question WRT to timing, temperature, track, and of course, precipitation type. Forecasts were wildly inconsistent and it added to the drama as we watched the system approach our area. When it finally arrived, the radar showed us how strangely the rain/snow line had orientated itself and that the retrograding we had witnessed in guidance was becoming a real possibility - the thermal dynamics at play were just insane.

Well, we all know what happened thereafter. The rain/snow line set up shop and didn't budge all day long until later that evening when temps crashed and the real fun began. What could have been a sloppy mess ended up dropping 20"+ in Central Park. A snowstorm complete with heavy winds, driving snow, and some thunder and lightening. It was just an incredible surprise and a great way to end a pretty rough season up until that point.

:unsure: NYC had 30.5'' before the 2/25 storm, including 10.9 inches from the 12/19 storm and 10.0 inches from the 2/10 storm.

It wasn't fun watching those monster storms miss us to the south. If not for the Snowicane, I don't think the winter of 09/10 would have been remembered fondly here.

Uh, try not only having to watch all of the monster storms miss you to the south but also getting dryslotted by the 2/25 storm, and then on top of that only getting 9 inches from the 12/26 storm while having to watch places just 15 miles to your east get 30''. Then get back to me about feeling screwed over. :arrowhead:

Uh, try not only having to watch all of the monster storms miss you to the south but also getting dryslotted by the 2/25 storm, and then on top of that only getting 9 inches from the 12/26 storm while having to watch places just 15 miles to your east get 30''. Then get back to me about feeling screwed over. :arrowhead:

:lol: Next time I'll think of RutgersWx92 before making any statements about my recollection of a particular winter. How dare I say "pretty rough season." I don't know what came over me.

:lol: Next time I'll think of RutgersWx92 before making any statements about my recollection of a particular winter. How dare I say "pretty rough season." I don't know what came over me.

I can understand the frustration when a monster storm misses you to the south (especially with the Feb. 5-6 storm), but it's still inaccurate to call it a "pretty rough season" up to that point when we had already surpassed our average and had already had two double digit snowfalls. I'm also just trying to emphasize how much I've felt screwed over with the past two winters (as good as they've been) compared to many other places, including NYC.

Trust me it's inflated. I have a friend who lives there and he measured 18 or so..not saying he's right but reality probably lies somewhere in the middle.

How about the other towns near North Haven that got 27-28"?

I went with 19" but I may be off by an inch or two. Definitely somewhere from 18-21"

Yeah, I was just looking through the totals for down your location, pretty surprising how much some of the 'burbs got, even bigger than February 10th. Green Haven got 26".

Yeah, I was just looking through the totals for down your location, pretty surprising how much some of the 'burbs got, even bigger than February 10th. Green Haven got 26".

I was actually surprised that February 10 surpassed 12/19 in some areas, since we didn't really expect a HECS from it.

I can understand the frustration when a monster storm misses you to the south (especially with the Feb. 5-6 storm); I'm just trying to emphasize how much I've felt screwed over with the past two winters (as good as they've been) compared to many other places, including NYC.

Gotcha. It always sucks when you're on the outside looking in. I just think that winter would've only been remembered for the storms we missed out on, and although we exceeded our average, it still wouldn't sit well with most folks when looking back on it.

Gotcha. It always sucks when you're on the outside looking in. I just think that winter would've only been remembered for the storms we missed out on, and although we exceeded our average, it still wouldn't sit well with most folks when looking back on it.

We only missed February 6th 2010.

Granted that was a pretty big miss, but we made it up.

Archived