• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1 year ago

MJO812

How much did you get from these storms (besides 1/26 which I know gave you 15")?

PDII - 20''

2/12/06 - 15''

2/10/10 - 13.5''

1/22-23/05 - 13''

All of those were measured at my house in Bridgewater. The 1/26 measurement was done by my parents as I was at college, and they only measured the final accumulation (not taking into account the compaction that may have taken place from the sleet/freezing rain we got in the middle of the storm), so the actual total may have been a little higher.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PDII - 20''

2/12/06 - 15''

2/10/10 - 13.5''

1/22-23/05 - 13''

All of those were measured at my house in Bridgewater. The 1/26 measurement was done by my parents as I was at college, and they only measured the final accumulation (not taking into account the compaction that may have taken place from the sleet/freezing rain we got in the middle of the storm), so the actual total may have been a little higher.

My top 5 storms:

1) 2/10/2010- 20"

2) PDII- 28"

3) 2/6/2010- 25"

4) 12/19/2009- 19"

5) 2/11/2006- 15"

I don't remember March 1993, January 1996, or even January 2000 that well, but those were also huge storms where I live (and in 1993 I actually lived in NYC).

We also missed out on the worst of 12/19 (with the exception of Long Island). It was a very good winter but also very frustrating at times.

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. Without 2/26/10, for me personally, last winter would have been remembered for all that frustration. I would have remembered it for what could have been, not for what it was.

I consider myself lucky to be honest having seen so many 18+ inchers...

1. 1/7/96: 28.5" *My father claims*

2. 12/26/10: 24"

3.February 12, 2006: 21.8"

4. February 17 2003: 21.5"

5. December 30 2000: around 18".

I consider myself lucky to be honest having seen so many 18+ inchers...

1. 1/7/96: 28.5" *My father claims*

2. 12/26/10: 24"

3.February 12, 2006: 21.8"

4. February 17 2003: 21.5"

5. December 30 2000: around 18".

Don't forget the storm in New Mexico.

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. Without 2/26/10, for me personally, last winter would have been remembered for all that frustration. I would have remembered it for what could have been, not for what it was.

For me the 2/10 storm kind of saved last winter in my mind. As I said before, I got completely screwed over by the 2/25-26 storm (only 8 inches and stuck in a dryslot for hours), so it did little for me. The 2/10 storm gave me 13.5'' and it came down very heavily for several hours in the daylight. It was the only storm that actually lived up to my expectations. So while last winter was frustrating at times (being screwed over by 2/25 and watching the worst of the 2/5-6 and 12/19 storms miss to the south), it still delivered a lot of snow and would've been a lot worse for me without the 2/10 storm.

My top 5 storms:

1) 2/10/2010- 20"

2) PDII- 28"

3) 2/6/2010- 25"

4) 12/19/2009- 19"

5) 2/11/2006- 15"

I don't remember March 1993, January 1996, or even January 2000 that well, but those were also huge storms where I live (and in 1993 I actually lived in NYC).

Yeah I don't remember any of those storms either. If I did then March 1993 and January 1996 would definitely be on the list. December 30, 2000 would also, but I was only 8 at the time and was actually away with my family at Lancaster for that weekend which only got a few flurries (compared to back home where my dad says he measured about 16''). :axe:

Yeah I don't remember any of those storms either. If I did then March 1993 and January 1996 would definitely be on the list. December 30, 2000 would also, but I was only 8 at the time and was actually away with my family at Lancaster for that weekend which only got a few flurries (compared to back home where my dad says he measured about 16''). :axe:

That really sucks. December 2000 had once of the most brutal cutoffs of any East coast snowstorm. Philadelphia and Wilmington are about 25 miles apart. Philly got 9", while Wilmington got 1". West of there got nothing.

When did you first start following winter weather?

Could you imagine if a place like this existed back then? The weenie of today would be nothing in comparison.

Seriously. A 3-6" forecast back in 1990 sounded like 8-12" now. Hell, 2-4" sounded like a pretty solid sized event....even here where I am. It just didn't want to snow. It seemed like every bust was in the negative direction for a few years there and there were hardly any good coastal storms in the forecast...the exception being Feb 24-25, 1989 which ended up as a huge bust.

That really sucks. December 2000 had once of the most brutal cutoffs of any East coast snowstorm. Philadelphia and Wilmington are about 25 miles apart. Philly got 9", while Wilmington got 1". West of there got nothing.

Yup. The December 2010 cutoff is definitely up there also, as I'm painfully aware. :lol: I'm about 15 miles from Scotch Plains. Scotch Plains got 30'', I got 9''.

I've always been interested in all forms of weather ever since I was little. PDII really inspired my interest in winter weather, and I continued to mildly follow it for the next several years. I started really following and tracking every single winter weather event for the winter of 06-07. Then I found Eastern at the beginning of winter 07-08 and that caused me to become really hooked. :D

December 30 2000: Basking Ridge NJ had 22 inches, which isn't far from Bridgewater. Basically the next town South of Basking Ridge.

Yup. The December 2010 cutoff is definitely up there also, as I'm painfully aware. :lol: I'm about 15 miles from Scotch Plains. Scotch Plains got 30'', I got 9''.

That's more of a very tight gradient rather than a cutoff.

I'd definitely consider Snowmageddon to be another example of a brutal cutoff, with Philly getting 28", Trenton getting a foot, and NYC getting a trace.

In NYC the early 1970's and the 1980's were really snow less. In the early 70's I remember singing let it rain for Xmas, since that all you expect, every snow forecast turned out to be a rain storm. Back in 1971 a forecast was going for 36" of snow for a march storm and guess what it was rain. That is how it was back then. Then in the 80's I remember going to Quebec City and was upset that I missed a 2" snow storm, it was that bad.

In NYC the early 1970's and the 1980's were really snow less. In the early 70's I remember singing let it rain for Xmas, since that all you expect, every snow forecast turned out to be a rain storm. Back in 1971 a forecast was going for 36" of snow for a march storm and guess what it was rain. That is how it was back then. Then in the 80's I remember going to Quebec City and was upset that I missed a 2" snow storm, it was that bad.

36 inches of snow? Wow, that was the March 1971 Blizzard?

I've always been interested in all forms of weather ever since I was little. PDII really started my interest in winter weather, and I continued to mildly follow it for the next several years. I started really following and tracking every single winter weather event for the winter of 06-07. Then I found Eastern at the beginning of winter 07-08 and that caused me to become really hooked. :D

I actually started following weather in January 2002, right after hearing about Buffalo's epic LES around Christmas. I watched TWC every day, and kept a NOAA weather radio for several years since then. You're lucky that you weren't really into winter weather in 2002, since that "winter" ended up being torture (or should I say "torcher") :axe:

But that also gave me very modest expectations for the following winter, and then the rest is history :snowman:

after the Lindsay snowstorm in February 1969 NYC didn't get a major snowstorm until January 1978...December 1969 and March 1970 storms were mixed with rain in the city...North and west had over a foot of snow both times...1970-71 had a snow/rain event in Early March that was over a foot N&W...1971-72 had snow/rain event in February that was over a foot N&W...1972-73 had a rain/snow event the end of January that was all snow north and west...1973-74 had the ice storm in December that was heavy snow north and west...1974-75 had an 8" snowfall in February...January 1975 had two rain/snow events that were heavy snow N&W...Storms either changed to rain or tracked to far south and east...

For some reason one my earliest winter memories is not of snow, but extreme warmth. I can remember clear as day New Years Eve 1989 when it was in the 50's with some places approaching 60 degrees out. I was 6 at the time. Even from then I was fascinated with the weather and especially snow. Although, snow I didn't see and can't remember any until Superstorm 93 rolled around.

Archived