• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1 year ago

MJO812

In a way superstorm brought in a new era in which NYC got more snow. Since then we had: the 1993/94 storms, 1995/96 super year, then four winters in a row of over 40"+, the last two winters and do not forget the PD storms too. I think we are in a new era in which the Northeast cities get more snow.

I'd be very surprised if this trend doesn't continue. I'd also suspect the possibility of maybe some colder winters with a majority being of the -NAO/-AO variety since I believe just recently we have shifted into a decadal period of increased tendencies towards the negative end of both of these indices, which isn't rocket science (nor my own idea obv) since much has been discussed wrt to this potential.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the other towns near North Haven that got 27-28"?

Most of those towns, with the exception of Meriden and Cheshire, are not that close to North Haven. The highest totals in the Upton CWA were across Fairfield County which makes sense given the mesoband's intensity and duration over that area.

Most of those towns, with the exception of Meriden and Cheshire, are not that close to North Haven. The highest totals in the Upton CWA were across Fairfield County which makes sense given the mesoband's intensity and duration over that area.

Most accounts have the N Haven total as being bogus, so I'd agree. It didn't make sense on a few levels. Radar didn't really support it. Radar isn't everything but several people chimed in and said they went into that area and it def wasnt 31" of snow from that storm. Still a huge storm though...a HECS for sure. Closer to 2 feet though.

For me the 2/10 storm kind of saved last winter in my mind. As I said before, I got completely screwed over by the 2/25-26 storm (only 8 inches and stuck in a dryslot for hours), so it did little for me. The 2/10 storm gave me 13.5'' and it came down very heavily for several hours in the daylight. It was the only storm that actually lived up to my expectations. So while last winter was frustrating at times (being screwed over by 2/25 and watching the worst of the 2/5-6 and 12/19 storms miss to the south), it still delivered a lot of snow and would've been a lot worse for me without the 2/10 storm.

Wait, you didn't get hit with the 12/19/09 event? I thought that one did make it up your way.

Most accounts have the N Haven total as being bogus, so I'd agree. It didn't make sense on a few levels. Radar didn't really support it. Radar isn't everything but several people chimed in and said they went into that area and it def wasnt 31" of snow from that storm. Still a huge storm though...a HECS for sure. Closer to 2 feet though.

A memorable storm for sure..I just wish it had been during the day. Don't you also think the duration pretty much precludes the possibility that North Haven could have gotten 30.5"? I got 18" back home which was thrilling given that, like Paul and Ryan, I hadn't seen a 10" storm since February 2006.

I don't understand, Will, places near there had 28 inches, so that is inflated too?

I do agree that places NW of there had near 30" amounts, you know, Fairfield County.

My top 5 storms:

1) 2/10/2010- 20"

2) PDII- 28"

3) 2/6/2010- 25"

4) 12/19/2009- 19"

5) 2/11/2006- 15"

I don't remember March 1993, January 1996, or even January 2000 that well, but those were also huge storms where I live (and in 1993 I actually lived in NYC).

1. Boxing day blizzard

2. Blizzard of 1996

3. PDII

4. Snowicane

5. 1/26/10

The 2/10 storm gave me 13.5'' and it came down very heavily for several hours in the daylight. It was the only storm that actually lived up to my expectations.

I got 14 inches from that storm.:snowman:

I'd definitely consider Snowmageddon to be another example of a brutal cutoff, with Philly getting 28", Trenton getting a foot, and NYC getting a trace.

My area received about 3 inches from that storm, while Staten Island got over 7 inches.

36 inches of snow? Wow, that was the March 1971 Blizzard?

http://valleyweather.blogspot.com/2010/03/blizzard-of-1971.html

In a way superstorm brought in a new era in which NYC got more snow. Since then we had: the 1993/94 storms, 1995/96 super year, then four winters in a row of over 40"+, the last two winters and do not forget the PD storms too. I think we are in a new era in which the Northeast cities get more snow.

The last 2 winters have been amazing. When was the last time NYC got over 60 inches of snow?

Guest Pamela

For some reason one my earliest winter memories is not of snow, but extreme warmth. I can remember clear as day New Years Eve 1989 when it was in the 50's with some places approaching 60 degrees out. I was 6 at the time. Even from then I was fascinated with the weather and especially snow. Although, snow I didn't see and can't remember any until Superstorm 93 rolled around.

Synopsis of that winter (1989-90): Very cold November with Thanksgiving snowstorm (about 4 - 10" across what is now Upton CWA). Extremely cold December with a couple of predicted snowstorms that proved to be rain (some snow NW). December nearly snowless NYC and LI. Right as year changed, extreme warmth moved in. January mild and snowless. Flipper Anderson catches touchdown pass in OT at the Meadowlands to propel Rams over Giants in playoffs. February mild and snowless, save for weird Norlun trough over eastern L.I . that put down locally 15"+ on East End. Blase March. I think an inch or two of snow fell in early April. That's all folks...

Synopsis of that winter (1989-90): Very cold November with Thanksgiving snowstorm (about 4 - 10" across what is now Upton CWA). Extremely cold December with a couple of predicted snowstorms that proved to be rain (some snow NW). December nearly snowless NYC and LI. Right as year changed, extreme warmth moved in. January mild and snowless. Flipper Anderson catches touchdown pass in OT at the Meadowlands to propel Rams over Giants in playoffs. February mild and snowless, save for weird Norlun trough over eastern L.I . that put down locally 15"+ on East End. Blase March. I think an inch or two of snow fell in early April. That's all folks...

What a horrible winter. We had good snow from the Feb 24-25, 1990 event. There was also a good event in late Jan 1990, but it was less than forecast.

It wasn't fun watching those monster storms miss us to the south. If not for the Snowicane, I don't think the winter of 09/10 would have been remembered fondly here.

Youre forgetting that we got around a foot (or slightly more) of snow on 2/10/10. The storm that was suppressed was before that, 2/6/10.

Slightly above average doesn't really do it for me when I'm watching a historic winter take place just 100 miles to my south.

We had close to 40" of snow prior to the 2/26/10 storm. Getting that snowstorm made it a historic season. 50" plus inches of snow is definitely historic for NYC.

March was a scorcher that year-- we were in the mid to upper 80s in the middle of the month. I've never seen it that hot here for Spring Break lol. I think we got a few inches of snow that month, but I think that was before it torched. And then we also got an inch of snow in early April.

more like 30.5" in Central Park. We ended the season with 51.4" , and the Snowicane yielded 20.9"

Oh yea I forgot those dopes undermeasured 2/10/10 (10.0" really? lol that measurement was made 3 hours before the accumulating snow ended and they never changed it. It was more like 15.) Here in SW Nassau we had 38" and picked up 5" in a storm that happened a week after that for 43" and picked up 14" in the retrosnowstorm.

Archived