• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2011 general obs/discussion thread

snowstormcanuck

The last few days have been a good start to the thunderstorm season. A couple days ago I got missed, but several locations near me got half inch size hail. Overnight and this morning everyone got several little thunderstorms. There was only 0.30" in the gauge when I woke up, but all morning we got one brief heavy downpour with thunder after another. Several locations around CR got small hail again. I finished with nearly one inch of rain and the grass is considerably greener already. It feels good to have a day like this for the first time this year.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS, while warm for the Wed storm here, has a very wintry look its entire run, including another ice/snow event then another snow event less than a week after the Wed storm. DTW is at 6th snowiest winter now, needs 1.6" to hit #5, 4.2" to hit #4, 6.5" to hit #3, 10.5" to hit #2, and 26.1" to hit #1. Will be interesting to see what transpires the next few weeks.

Spring Flowers. Some of the trees are budding too.

imag0171.jpg

Are those crocuses? Nice pic. Yeah the maples are budding, but its those fuzzy pre-buds that are bushy and red. Once they fall to the ground and make a mess, still have another 2 weeks before leaves slowly pop. Last year was one of the earliest greenups Id ever seen, with trees starting to leaf in mid-April and nearly fully leafed out by the end of April/beginning of May. Usually they start to leaf out in late April and are fully leafed around mid-May.

Going to get close to 80 the next few days! Another warm start to spring. I hope the models continue to show a snow event for Kentucky next weekend. That would be quite a miracle if next Sunday we are under winter storm watches. However I expect it to be a cold rain here, while you folks up north cash in.

Are those crocuses? Nice pic. Yeah the maples are budding, but its those fuzzy pre-buds that are bushy and red. Once they fall to the ground and make a mess, still have another 2 weeks before leaves slowly pop. Last year was one of the earliest greenups Id ever seen, with trees starting to leaf in mid-April and nearly fully leafed out by the end of April/beginning of May. Usually they start to leaf out in late April and are fully leafed around mid-May.

Not really sure what type of flowers these are. They typically sprout in early March. Yeah some of the trees are actually showing a tint of green. Its nice to see some color in the wake of a black and white Winter.

Not really sure what type of flowers these are. They typically sprout in early March. Yeah some of the trees are actually showing a tint of green. Its nice to see some color in the wake of a black and white Winter.

Yeah thats a crocus I think. Wow you saw green in a tree? Interesting,.. I find that in spring and fall, the first buds and first hints of color are always an excitement for the change of seasons, but these early ones are a tease, as it still means the "main show" is a while away. Realistically, we will be looking at mainly bare trees for at least the next 4 weeks. When the sun is out buds will be noticeable, whereas when its cloudy it will look like anytime in mid-winter. In early September I get so excited when the first color shows, but its really going to be a solid month before the landscape isnt generally green. Such is the change of seasons lol

any saved radar images of the storm?

Not the highest quality, but these UCAR radar images are okay.

Edit: Our tornado dropped around 4:15 on the big cell west of Wichita.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=ictrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=15&interval=5&year=2010&month=5&day=10&hour=16&minute=5

post-613-0-90017100-1300686842.png

post-613-0-95897300-1300686849.png

Some pretty nice CG action out in the western sky right now. Pretty impressive elevated cell moving in.

Looks like tomorrow will end up being a cool/raw day, as even the GFS now agrees we fail to get into the warm sector. Other than yesterday this has been a common theme for northern Illinois this month.

Archived