• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday High Wind Discussion And OBS

bluewave

The potential is definitely there, moreso than in any event this season so far outside of the LI/CT areas that got the LLJ on 12/26.

Mixing looks to be just about perfect, with steep lapse rates and plenty of sun during the daylight hours. The peak surface gradient and strongest LLJ seem to coincide well with the midday time period, during which mixing potential is at its greatest. I could definitely see warnings being issued by OKX and PHI sometime later today or tonight. I don't think we have had warnings in this area in a W or NW CAA event since Feb '09, so this looks to be a significant event.

Winds are really howling here in the Keweenaw. Been sustain winds of 45 mph with 60 mph gusts. Been snowing heavily off and on. I did go to work and the power blink many times, but never went off. The schools let out early and they don't do that very often here. It has been shaking the house pretty good today. Been under a blizzard warning since 11 am.There was even an 81 wind gust measured at Stannard Rock. Stannard Rock is a lighthouse out in Lake Superior 90 miles north of Marquette, MI. I heard that there is 35 foot waves out on the big lake. That would be 5 inches higher then my two and half story house.

I don't see anything bigger than the standard wind events we see this time of year, and in most cases the actual winds end up weaker than forecast. Maybe a couple of 40 mph wind gusts at best around here.

im thinking we see some >40mph gusts with this gradient setting up and other factors as discussed already here.

nam_700_024m.gif

I don't see anything bigger than the standard wind events we see this time of year, and in most cases the actual winds end up weaker than forecast. Maybe a couple of 40 mph wind gusts at best around here.

If you look at the saved public info statements from windstorms on Upton's archive page, you'll see this is not the case. Advisory events usually verify with plenty of gust reports meeting criteria and warning events, while rarer, usually verify as well.

Also, this is a clearly looking like an above average event. Forecast wind speeds at the relevant levels of the atmosphere down to the surface are notably stronger than 'the standard' in not only our area, but also in much of the northeast and Mid Atlantic.

Winds are really howling here in the Keweenaw. Been sustain winds of 45 mph with 60 mph gusts. Been snowing heavily off and on. I did go to work and the power blink many times, but never went off. The schools let out early and they don't do that very often here. It has been shaking the house pretty good today. Been under a blizzard warning since 11 am.There was even an 81 wind gust measured at Stannard Rock. Stannard Rock is a lighthouse out in Lake Superior 90 miles north of Marquette, MI. I heard that there is 35 foot waves out on the big lake. That would be 5 inches higher then my two and half story house.

I would love to see a good Lake Superior storm, and plan on doing so someday!

The potential is definitely there, moreso than in any event this season so far outside of the LI/CT areas that got the LLJ on 12/26.

Mixing looks to be just about perfect, with steep lapse rates and plenty of sun during the daylight hours. The peak surface gradient and strongest LLJ seem to coincide well with the midday time period, during which mixing potential is at its greatest. I could definitely see warnings being issued by OKX and PHI sometime later today or tonight. I don't think we have had warnings in this area in a W or NW CAA event since Feb '09, so this looks to be a significant event.

The surface temps will probably be warmer than the model soundings are indicating which will help increase the mixing potential.

The winds should ramp up pretty quickly between 12-15z as the surface temperatures begin rising.

The surface temps will probably be warmer than the model soundings are indicating which will help increase the mixing potential.

The winds should ramp up pretty quickly between 12-15z as the surface temperatures begin rising.

I wonder how warm it will be. Our NWS forecast has highs in the upper 30s for us.

Good point; the downsloping flow will aid in this. With Mt. Holly having issued warnings, I think Upton will follow suit at some point before the morning.

Both offices' AFDs indicate that there could be two periods of peak winds - first, one with the LLJ and strong mixing in the morning, then another with surface pressure rises later in the afternoon.

Archived