12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb. 19th-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

wisconsinwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM did well in several storms here this winter. It's a good model if used right imo. I just thought it was kinda odd how it's pretty much inline with other models in terms of 850 mb temps, but yet the other models are way farther south. Just didn't seem right.

Agreed, it just looks goofy, with the placement of the low pressure..you would expect southern MN just to be torching.

I tried to explain it earlier but i see it still went over most peoples heads with the model biases.

Again the RGEM does great with a rising and or +NAO/AO but usually turns to crap when the AO/NAO is negative and or falling. Why again it did better then the rest with the blizzard as that pattern/rising and +positive NAO/AO played into it's bias. UGH

I tried to explain it earlier but i see it still went over most peoples heads with the model biases.

Again the RGEM does great with a rising and or +NAO/AO but usually turns to crap when the AO/NAO is negative and or falling. Why again it did better then the rest with the blizzard as that pattern/rising and +positive NAO/AO played into it's bias. UGH

+1

A lot of people just like to cling to how the "x" model did with the previous storm and forget about the overall biases it has or the different variables..

+1

Seriously. This is why it did great in 07-08 ( king of nw trends/+nao/+ao ) and not so great last winter and earlier this winter with the blocking and -nao/-ao. It is one of the few models that has atleast remained a constant with it's known bias. Believe it or not that is why i actually do make sure i view it. Thus it has it's uses as baro would say. Just a matter of knowing the biases like any other model. Unfortunately the rest of them have been tinkered with etc via the upgrades ( Euro last Feb/ GFS this past summer/ NAM not long ago )and so the biases are not as apparent as they once were.

They all ofcourse are prone to busting as well and thus why i say never write anything off either. If this thing enters the plains stronger or farther north then yeah the track east will be farther north as well. Till the system is in the plains that will remain a possibility.

Archived