northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 19th-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

wisconsinwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever tiny southward adjusmtent in the track took place was overcome by the stronger system.

So yeah, it's basically similar to the 12z run. Still 3-6" here before the ice begins.

EDIT, it actually shows 6-8", with isolated heavier amounts. But there's a very sharp shut off in the bottom row of Michigan counties. So it was a marginal improvement.

Toronto Blizzard,

where'd you get the EURO qpf from?

What the 0z NAM is showing is pretty close to our worst case scenario, so I'm not worried. Frankly, a lot of these shifts seem to be more like model noise rather than fundamental changes in the prognostication.

I got the Euro QPF from some guys that I know who are on the accuwx forums

No matter, WSW highly likely for all counties in DTX CWFA.

Monroe & Lenawee are sitll iffy.

If not for the faster transition from snow to ice limiting the potenital for warning crtiera snows, it will be the possibly of above freezing air sneaking northward and disrupting their potential for warning criteria icing.

Wayne & Washtenaw do look better.

Yea the stronger the first low the later the second wave gets going. Looks like it takes awhile before the low starts to occlude. Hate sitting on the border of getting getting heavy snow or ice.

You're not in a bad spot in Macomb. One thing I'd be worried about is getting the brunt of your precip in the form of sleet, but the SN bullseye is going to be close by. I wouldn't be surprised if you dynamically cool your warm layer during the heaviest precip and switch to SN+.

You're not in a bad spot in Macomb. One thing I'd be worried about is getting the brunt of your precip in the form of sleet, but the SN bullseye is going to be close by. I wouldn't be surprised if you dynamically cool your warm layer during the heaviest precip and switch to SN+.

Yea we are definately in the heavy precip band on most models. While the ratios wont be the best just north of the mix line, isn't that where the heavier snow amounts usually are?

Monroe & Lenawee are sitll iffy.

If not for the faster transition from snow to ice limiting the potenital for warning crtiera snows, it will be the possibly of above freezing air sneaking northward and disrupting their potential for warning criteria icing.

Wayne & Washtenaw do look better.

Monroe and Lenawee too would go in because they would meet the 3 to 6 with at least a tenth ice in 12 hours criteria.

Agreed....NAM Bufkit for DTX still shows sleet with a -3/-4 sfc.

I think Oshkosh (OSH) would work better if you can use that. That's about 15-20 miles nw of here, MKE is about 60 miles SE of here.

I don't have a sounding for that site and am about to go off shift as stebo is here....but for GRB stays all snow with 7.1 and you're basically half way between the two so just interpolating the data would suggest 6.2 snow and 0.15 freezing rain.

I would say you get more than 6 inches because I would think Fon du Lac will get greater QPF numbers. On the GFS, the QPF bullseye is in Northeast Iowa and Southern Wisconsin. That said, it seems the NAM has less moisture overall than the GFS.

The most important thing at this point is to follow the trends. Trends say to me most of WI is all snow except maybe down at the IL line as we have had a slow but subtle/steady trend south with the surface low and thermal profiles. Was a day or so ago all the models tracked the low into S.MI and 12z had it over top of Chicago and this run a bit south of there. Won't see anything drastic but really don't need drastic either when one is on the line and still plenty of time left to make a huge difference for some which i strongly suspect will be the case for the reasons i mentioned earlier.

That's me though..

Archived