• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The end of winter..

Jefflaw77

So it appears that this winter has come to a screeching end.. What was an amazing 5-6 week stretch has ended sort of as abruptly as it began.. Talk about the commencement of a benign weather pattern.. It doesn't appear that much is going to happen over the next 2 weeks... Could February go the way of March 2010, where little or no snow fell after a huge month preceding it??

What are people's thoughts etc.. I know many expected the pattern to change, but did people really think that February was going to go out like a lamb... (i know we have 2.5 weeks left, but again, there doesn't appear that much is going to change to save this month..

Jeff

I'm not canceling winter.. Rather, I am just attempting to discuss what appears to be the reality of the situation.. Yea, March may come through with a storm or two, but from what I'm reading, things don't look great.. Hey, you never know... We could always have a March 2, 2001 (or whatever date it was) situation again.. One that succeeds. haha..

well whenever one looks at the longterm pattern and says its going to be epic it almost lives up to the hype. We had no moderation at all in January so it was inevitable that we would warm up at some point. I still see one or two snow events late month or March as we could be looking at a delayed start to spring.

I'm not canceling winter.. Rather, I am just attempting to discuss what appears to be the reality of the situation.. Yea, March may come through with a storm or two, but from what I'm reading, things don't look great.. Hey, you never know... We could always have a March 2, 2001 (or whatever date it was) situation again.. One that succeeds. haha..

Models are all showing overrunning potential setup day 9-11. And GFS ensembles and Euro ensembles both have the nao turning negative right around this period.

Models are all showing overrunning potential setup day 9-11. And GFS ensembles and Euro ensembles both has the nao turning negative right around this period.

After the warm spell with potential cutter, the pattern turns favorable again with a -EPO and developing NAO blocking. Initially a gradient pattern with overrunning to the north of the SE ridge and brutally cold air locked into SE Canada, there could be a nice threat for a "spread the wealth" storm. After that, the cold looks to be back with a better chance at a classic coastal. Some people forget that the mild pattern looks as if it'll only last a couple days now, meaning that winter is NOT ever. Most of the models have us back to more normal temperatures by Day 10. That gives us the last week of February and all of March to see some more snow and arctic air.

After the warm spell with potential cutter, the pattern turns favorable again with a -EPO and developing NAO blocking. Initially a gradient pattern with overrunning to the north of the SE ridge and brutally cold air locked into SE Canada, there could be a nice threat for a "spread the wealth" storm. After that, the cold looks to be back with a better chance at a classic coastal. Some people forget that the mild pattern looks as if it'll only last a couple days now, meaning that winter is NOT ever. Most of the models have us back to more normal temperatures by Day 10. That gives us the last week of February and all of March to see some more snow and arctic air.

Agreed. People are giving up way too easily.

While pattern might not be the best, transient shots of cold will happen and if timed correctly, then we get a storm or 2 also.

Ensemble products are all hinting of a return to winter after day 8-9.

Euro weeklies look pretty bad, but they have been wrong many times.

Agreed. People are giving up way too easily.

While pattern might not be the best, transient shots of cold will happen and if timed correctly, then we get a storm or 2 also.

Ensemble products are all hinting of a return to winter after day 8-9.

Euro weeklies look pretty bad, but they have been wrong many times.

Apparently the Euro weeklies have temperatures around normal for the first week of March, but then turn mild. No sign of the -NAO coming back on the weeklies, unfortunately. I do believe they show the higher heights over AK mitigating the -PNA/+EPO we're going into.

This is exactly what i've been seeing as well. In fact the extent of the warm-up is yet to be determined. It will warm up, but it seems to be brief. So by end of winter what are we talking about here? 2 day warm-up? I think this tread is a little premature

This is exactly what i've been seeing as well. In fact the extent of the warm-up is yet to be determined. It will warm up, but it seems to be brief. So by end of winter what are we talking about here? 2 day warm-up? I think this tread is a little premature

Temps will be near normal to above normal starting tomorrow and lasting probably thru next weekend. Thats more then 2 days.

that will put you in the 40s with sunshine and a sw wind..Though I dont think we get the sunshine we need

I wasn't trying to suggest that we stay in the freezer. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. I just don't see the big warmup until later in the week. Above freezing sure, but isn't that climo anyway. I just see near normal till the middle of the week.

I wasn't trying to suggest that we stay in the freezer. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. I just don't see the big warmup until later in the week. Above freezing sure, but isn't that climo anyway. I just see near normal till the middle of the week.

Yeah, I don't see any warmth until Wednesday or Thursday next week....there's a pretty good cold shot after the clipper passes Tuesday, which helps delay the warmth's progression into the Northeast. We could actually be slightly below normal from today to Wednesday; remember, Central Park's average high is already up to 40F and climbing, so we aren't expected to have the cold we did a few weeks ago. I only see two very warm days, Thursday and Friday, before the front moves through.

Curious if those on this site who are big fans of snow root for snow all the time, such as in April. Seems to me that most of the big snow fans are really extreme weather fans, with extreme snow events being their favorite but not to the extent that they want snow in April or May. The latter is the camp that I fall into. Come March 1st, much as I enjoy the snow, I'm ready to move on.

Curious if those on this site who are big fans of snow root for snow all the time, such as in April. Seems to me that most of the big snow fans are really extreme weather fans, with extreme snow events being their favorite but not to the extent that they want snow in April or May. The latter is the camp that I fall into. Come March 1st, much as I enjoy the snow, I'm ready to move on.

Im an extreme weather fan and I root for snow through the first half of April and then I root for heat waves lol.

Screw spring and fall, theyre boring..... Winter and Summer are the best :)

Im an extreme weather fan and I root for snow through the first half of April and then I root for heat waves lol.

Screw spring and fall, theyre boring..... Winter and Summer are the best :)

Agree. There is nothing at all to track during spring and fall. Even though I hate summer, I love tracking tropical systems and severe weather.

Archived