• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
LES Feb 8 -11

It has arrived here, about time... we have been cheated all winter long in north central Oswego County.

Welcome snagger! I grew up in Parish, so I know what it's like to feel like "come on already....it's supposed to snow around here" And when one goes deep into Feb without being hit with at least a good 1.5 foot storm, the snow lovers get antsey! :)

Welll......???? You got some totals for us???? I'm guessing around 15".....

You were right ... 14 inches by 500am.. just woke back up.. was shoveling roofs all night for the first time this year. I drove up to Pineville, that was the sharp cut off line to the storm for a while last night.. Why did the heavy snow retreat towards the lake around 5am? Starting to snow hard again, but it's different, more like that fluff we been getting all winter..

You were right ... 14 inches by 500am.. just woke back up.. was shoveling roofs all night for the first time this year. I drove up to Pineville, that was the sharp cut off line to the storm for a while last night.. Why did the heavy snow retreat towards the lake around 5am? Starting to snow hard again, but it's different, more like that fluff we been getting all winter..

Very often, when a lake band reorientates itself on a more NW'er trajectory, it is indicitive of surface high pressure building in, which weakens the mean llv flow, thus a retraction back to the lakeshore. Also, there are some frictional convergence effects that allows an east/west oriented band to carry further inland (north of Port Ontario) than further south...

Very often, when a lake band reorientates itself on a more NW'er trajectory, it is indicitive of surface high pressure building in, which weakens the mean llv flow, thus a retraction back to the lakeshore. Also, there are some frictional convergence effects that allows an east/west oriented band to carry further inland (north of Port Ontario) than further south...

Thanks.

I always wondered that, also noticed that bands tend to always sag south at night for some reason ... I thought maybe there was a reverse lake breeze at night like summer that influenced them or something subtle... only if there really productive to they stay put at night from my house north. 80 % of all my big Snow Squall memories are during the daytime.

Lake effect king, I got a video for you too look at some time of a rapidly developing thunderstorm off a lake breeze connected to a line of dieing storms that tryed to cross Ontario from Canada. The shelf cloud came almost down to tree level and was rotating, we were in the rainfree southwest corner of the developing storm and recieved huge damage here with only a little hail, no rain. Whole time the sun was out and 40+mph sustained winds. It was awesome stuff.... Better than alot of duratio storms we've had in the past.. It was taken on an old cd camcorder that doesn't easilly load to the computer, and I left it in Ithaca over the holiday. Would like someone's imput on this storm that knows what's what.. Thanks!!

Hey George..looking at TYX radar it looks funky to me. That isn't one band per se like last night's was...it looks (to me) like there is this stationary stuff on the Tug and then last nights band redevelop(ed)ing to the south moving northeast. OR Am I hallucinating? To me it looks neither multiband nor single band.

Nice LES map on the noon news Andy. TG will appreciate that. :)

Hey George..looking at TYX radar it looks funky to me. That isn't one band per se like last night's was...it looks (to me) like there is this stationary stuff on the Tug and then last nights band redevelop(ed)ing to the south moving northeast. OR Am I hallucinating? To me it looks neither multiband nor single band.

If you go over to BUF's site, you'll see a fairly well developed (albeit weak) band structure that propogates ENE'ward over L. Ontario, just NW of ROC.....I suspect that the remnant vertical circulation structure is sufficient to continue eastward and then enhanced by the E/W shoreline between Nine Mile Point and Port Ontario and then further aided by upslope by the Tug.

You can also see it a bit on the vis:

34014077.jpg

Archived