Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part III

beanskip

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:arrowhead:

In terms of sensible weather, this argument between ffc/bmx is silly.

Part of the discussion was based on Candyman's area where the call is "around 2" on the AL side and "less than 1/2" on the GA side. It may seem silly, but if you live down here where 2" is a big deal, and see the same differences storm after storm, it becomes more than silly. Especially if yo uare in Candyman's shoes.

I am beginning to feel cautiously optimistic that I may be in a good spot for 2"+ I'm thinking I-20 south may be where the best snows set up in GA. Hoping the moisture can hold together. What do you think Lookout?

15Z WSI RPM, which was one of the more gung-ho models, now has less than one inch for all of NE and NC GA and points east- T in ATL, NE GA and upstate SC. Winners, northern TN up the Apps to southern WV- 2-3". 1-3" southern Apps and NE NC into southeast VA. Narrow strip of 1" from La Grange GA to between GSP and CAE to CLT to INT into central VA. Kinda messy.

Positive signs the RGEM and 9Z SREF- hope the 15Z SREF holds serve. Just because AR is getting creamed does not mean it cannot fall apart like the models are saying- question is how fast.

Very interesting to see the RUC coming in with a wetter solution as this thing moves east. Don't think any of the models showed 2 feet in places in Arkansas. In fact, did any of them show more than 14"?

the NAM and Euro had .75" pockets in Ok and Ark for numerous runs, and considering how cold it is, I'm not not surprised that translated into 12" amounts and more. I didn't account for that in my map though sadly. Some areas of western TN and northern half of Miss. are going to take a big hit as well.

Memphis NWS upping snow totals. 2nd time today.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEMPHIS TN

1033 AM CST WED FEB 9 2011

.DISCUSSION...

CONTINUE TO ADJUST THE WARNING AREA AND SNOW TOTALS. ADDED

PEMISCOT TO THE WARNING DUE TO THAT HEAVY SNOW BAND EXTENDING EAST

JUST SOUTH OF THE KY/MO BORDER. ALSO INCREASED SNOW TOTALS TO AS

HIGH AS 8 INCHES ACROSS PARTS OF NE AR. POCAHONTAS NOW UP TO AT

LEAST 5 INCHES AND STILL SNOWING HEAVILY. RADAR TRENDS INDICATE THAT

THE HEAVY SNOW BAND IS POISED TO MOVE INTO THE MEMPHIS METRO AREA

OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS. CONDS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY AND

SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE QUICKLY...EVEN ON THE ROADS... WITH TEMPS IN

THE 20S. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 INCH PER HOUR WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER

THE MEMPHIS METRO THIS AFTERNOON.

Part of the discussion was based on Candyman's area where the call is "around 2" on the AL side and "less than 1/2" on the GA side. It may seem silly, but if you live down here where 2" is a big deal, and see the same differences storm after storm, it becomes more than silly. Especially if yo uare in Candyman's shoes.

I am beginning to feel cautiously optimistic that I may be in a good spot for 2"+ I'm thinking I-20 south may be where the best snows set up in GA. Hoping the moisture can hold together. What do you think Lookout?

Sorry but it's simply not that big of a deal. The only reason this seems like a bigger difference than it really is, is because bmx issued a warning vs ffc's advisory. But in terms of sensible weather, there simply is not much difference. Plus People aren't going to freak out anymore over 2 inches than they are over one inch. I wouldn't be surprised to see FFC increase their totals to 1 to 2 inches based on this mornings runs. That's still advisory level snow though.

Anywho, the heaviest snow might very well be in central ga. The rgem/canadian certainly think so. However, surface temps might be an issue for a while which really complicates things. In fact, gfs/nam pretty much has it as all rain in places like macon with surface temps in the upper 30s and wetbulb freezing levels at around 2000 feet.

The best spot might fall along i-20, or between macon and atlanta/athens in general. This area seems to have the best combo of temps/precip.

I'm not sure why the latest RUC has rain in the lower upstate to northeast GA. It has rain beginning in ATL and AHN to CAE, and ATL changes over to snow quickly, but it holds rain around AHN to the lower upstate just south of GSP and over to CAE after midnight. Actually has increased the snow in all of western NC and northern GA, so obviously this is a fast changing situation. It takes the snow across Tn and VA then that part fades out, and the precip in Ala, GA and the Carolinas is the main part of the storm around midnight and beyond.

HPC this morning did not think Arkansas would get more than 12".

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

304 AM EST WED FEB 09 2011

VALID 12Z WED FEB 09 2011 - 12Z SAT FEB 12 2011

DAY 1...

...SOUTHERN HIGH PLAINS/LOWER MISSISSIPPI AND TENNESSEE

VALLEYS/MID ATLANTIC COAST...

STRONG SHRTWV MOVING THRU THE CNTRL/SRN ROCKIES THIS MORNING WILL

MOVE ACROSS THE SRN PLAINS INTO THE LWR MS VLY LATER TODAY. AMPLE

GULF INFLOW WILL INTERACT WITH DEEP FGEN FORCING AND THE STRONG

MID LVL DYNAMICS SHOULD PRODUCE SOME HEAVIER AMTS EARLY IN THE

PERIOD FROM ERN OK THRU AR/NRN LA INTO MS. WITH A DEEP ARCTIC

AIRMASS SETTLING INTO THE REGION...SNOW WILL BE PREDOMINATE PTYPE

ACROSS ERN OK INTO AR WHERE A HIGH RISK FOR 4-INCHES/SLGT RISK OF

8-INCHES HAS BEEN INDICATED. WHILE SIGNIFICANT ICING IS NOT

EXPECTED...SOME POST FRONTAL LGT FREEZING RAIN DRIZZLE CAN BE

EXPECTED FROM SERN TX INTO THE CNTRL GULF COAST STATES. HEAVY

SNOW AMTS APPEAR LESS LIKELY FURTHER TO THE E ACROSS THE TN

VLY/SOUTHEAST AS THE MID LVL SHTRTWV AND INFLOW FROM GULF ARE BOTH

EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AS THE SYSTEM MOVES FROM THE LWR MS VLY EWD.

HOWEVER A RESUGENCE OF LOW LVL MOISTURE...THIS TIME OFF OF THE

ATL...INTERACTING ONCE AGAIN WITH DEEP FGEN FORCING COULD RESULT

IN SOME HEAVIER AMTS NEAR THE NC COAST. RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW

COULD PRODUCE SOME SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS ERN

NC...WARRANTING A SLGT RISK FOR 4-INCHES ACROSS THE AREA.

What's up fellow weenies...I haven't had a chance to follow this storm closely.What we all know is that at some point the snowfall accumulations should start to decrease in the next 6-12 hours.

Maybe Robert can answer this...at what area should we really be looking when it comes actual verification over model predictions? For example, how much is being predicted for NW Mississippi or Southern Tennessee? How much snow would they need to end up getting in order to start having concerns for those down stream?

Looking at the 13Z RUC and comparing it to the 16Z RUC, moisture and relative humidity have gotten deeper and have started to stretch farther north than progged 4 hours ago.

With the lastest GFS being the wettest it has given out in days, beginning to wonder if models are playing catch up or dynamics aloft are just being realized from data gathered now that the storm is in the SE?

50%

Lol! Smart A :) FFC has been spot on with mby for the last two accumulating sn/ip events, as much as I hate to say it. I'm going to have to go with their assessment until such time as they miss low again. Hoping it is tonight as 2 inches would double either of my last storms but 3 or 4 would make me swoon, lol. T

Sorry but it's simply not that big of a deal. The only reason this seems like a bigger difference than it really is, is because bmx issued a warning vs ffc's advisory. But in terms of sensible weather, there simply is not much difference. Plus People aren't going to freak out anymore over 2 inches than they are over one inch. I wouldn't be surprised to see FFC increase their totals to 1 to 2 inches based on this mornings runs. That's still advisory level snow though.

Anywho, the heaviest snow might very well be in central ga. The rgem/canadian certainly think so. However, surface temps might be an issue for a while which really complicates things. In fact, gfs/nam pretty much has it as all rain in places like macon with surface temps in the upper 30s and wetbulb freezing levels at around 2000 feet.

The best spot might fall along i-20, or between macon and atlanta/athens in general. This area seems to have the best combo of temps/precip.

I'm surprised I'm in an advisory. Advisory level here is at least two inches.

HAHA! No worries! I wouldn't want to be in my shoes sometimes either ;) Let's just say that forecasting for this area is extremely fun, yet difficult.

I am upping my totals to about an inch of snow along the I85 from Auburn to La Grange and East to just north of the Macon area; and a light dusting for areas just to the north of Columbus. This storm is still looking impressive just 12 hours from impacting West GA/East AL. My friend out in Fort Smith, AR has reported some people calling in 12 to 18 inches of snow! Pretty impressive stuff out there! The moisture shield is staying a little more north, which could translate for some of you in NC of having at least a little bit of snow.

I'm not sure why the latest RUC has rain in the lower upstate to northeast GA. It has rain beginning in ATL and AHN to CAE, and ATL changes over to snow quickly, but it holds rain around AHN to the lower upstate just south of GSP and over to CAE after midnight. Actually has increased the snow in all of western NC and northern GA, so obviously this is a fast changing situation. It takes the snow across Tn and VA then that part fades out, and the precip in Ala, GA and the Carolinas is the main part of the storm around midnight and beyond.

It's because of it's surface temps and dewpoints, which are WAY off. Ruc is 5 or 6 degrees too high currently with dewpoints. By 18z, it has dewpoints rising to around 30 :huh: Then The Ruc has dewpoints rising to above freezing before any precip falls which is incredibly unlikely. meanwhile the gfs and nam have dewpoints about 10 degrees colder than the ruc this evening. But both of those models are still too high right now. Both models showed dewpoints in the low 20s right now when they are actually around 15. So bottom line, it's likely wrong.

Looking at obs and trends, kinda worried about surface temperatures in the SE. MS/AL/GA are seeing a SW wind and temperatures in the 40s. It might delay the formation of snow across central/eastern MS/AL, thus lowering the snow accumulations. Also, as people stated earlier, snowfall rates are higher in Arkansas due to colder temperatures aloft and at the surface. This is a nowcast situation if anything.

HAHA! No worries! I wouldn't want to be in my shoes sometimes either ;) Let's just say that forecasting for this area is extremely fun, yet difficult.

I am upping my totals to about an inch of snow along the I85 from Auburn to La Grange and East to just north of the Macon area; and a light dusting for areas just to the north of Columbus. This storm is still looking impressive just 12 hours from impacting West GA/East AL. My friend out in Fort Smith, AR has reported some people calling in 12 to 18 inches of snow! Pretty impressive stuff out there! The moisture shield is staying a little more north, which could translate for some of you in NC of having at least a little bit of snow.

It sure looks good to our west, but I can remember several times over the years that a snowstorm would look great to our west (Arkansas/Miss) only to get choked of it's moisture to the point that we get a sloppy coating here. Of course, I don't think those storms had the muscle that this one is flexing right now. I think Lookout's assesment was very good. Somewhere from I-20 down toward your area could do the best if the temps support all or mostly snow. It will be very interesting to watch as it gets closer. Hopefully, many of us are in for a nice surprise!

Looking at obs and trends, kinda worried about surface temperatures in the SE. MS/AL/GA are seeing a SW wind and temperatures in the 40s. It might delay the formation of snow across central/eastern MS/AL, thus lowering the snow accumulations. Also, as people stated earlier, snowfall rates are higher in Arkansas due to colder temperatures aloft and at the surface. This is a nowcast situation if anything.

I have been wondering if surface temps might cause issues in alabama especially. They won't have much time to cool off, if it all, before precip starts. In georgia though, we should have a number of hours to cool off so it won't be so much of an issue here. In fact, gfs drops temps to below freezing in many areas by 0z before the clouds roll in and move temps up a couple of degrees. There might be a very brief period of a mix or even sprinkles but I wouldn't expect it to last long. But highs today were expected to get well into the 40s so no surprises so far.

The RUC has a 1012 low forming in the Gulf just south of the western Fl. panhandle/Mobile area, maybe 150 miles south. It also has one developing off ILM and heads to off HAT overnight. It actually has increasing uvv's in central al, GA and keeps the snow going near BHM to ATL for a long time, longer than any models have been showing, so thats a good trend for much of Ala and GA even in northern GA. As usual its too light on QPF but has a good period of accum across much of Alabam and GA from 20, north. Coming in after dark and lasting til after midnight is a perfect time for the best poss. accumulations. This run is looking wetter for the Upstate and western NC as well, but it's not showing accum there yet. Its going to be a wait and see on how the obs and radars look tonight to see if we get anything but the trends are alittle bit encouraging here for something besides flurries to almost nothing.

Archived