joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A day in the life of the NYC Metro Forum

earthlight

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read through the whole thing.... I imagine the call from Doug was back when he was in Seattle, he was so pissed that he missed the Jan 26-27 snow bomb!

BTW I loved the Metfan Ethiopian model stuff the most-- it reminded me of when he posts the KMA models and the first time I saw it, I tried to crane and turn my neck because I couldnt read the upside down map and I almost hurt it.

You should include stuff from Ji and Fozz, as they come into our forums in the middle of the night-- I remember they had an argument a few nights ago, which was pretty funny.

Dude, there were multiple calls. :P I was very, very upset.

I laughed the most at the Nzucker posts, and the one about how that one guy from Baltimore comes in and asks about how much QPF there is for Baltimore.

Oh, and the one about me, too. I'd call at like 12 midnight Pacific time drunk/buzzed/angry from knowing that I was going to miss a storm. Every day. Of that trip.

And most threads include someone asking when are watches going to be issued, or "why is so and so county not included but the next county over is"

There is also usually about 30 posts in the middle about arguing who the best TV Met is .

Oh by the way... In regards to this winter, I think it is safe to say that it has been a good winter because i only think there was one time that someone asked what the KMA shows

it was lee, enough said lol

it was funny lol. Its too bad we had a couple of prize winning threads going on in OT or else it probably would have been the highlight of the weekend lol. Im still laughing at what MGorse said when he said that Atown changed the wx discussion the NWS made before he posted it. MGorse should know, he was the original author ;)

John, you should add in something about winterwarlock, you left him out :(

BTW you should make one of these for every season :thumbsup:

it was funny lol. Its too bad we had a couple of prize winning threads going on in OT or else it probably would have been the highlight of the weekend lol. Im still laughing at what MGorse said when he said that Atown changed the wx discussion the NWS made before he posted it. MGorse should know, he was the original author ;)

Winterwarlock post that he will be doing fall-clean-ups in shorts this week

WOW, I was lmao.. So accurate! I will add...

someone will post.. It looks south and east, and then 5 post later..

someone else posts.. it looks north and west..

And Tmagan posting the RGEM saying it's looks like rain...lol

Yeah I remember that from eastern so vividly when we used to have those model super threads-- one guy was pissed off about the storm cutting and the next guy with the very next post (at the same time!) said that it was going to be a HECS. This happened so many times!

How did Atown change the NWS AFD? Did he add something about the NOGAPS?

How did Atown change the NWS AFD? Did he add something about the NOGAPS?

He made it seem like the NWS was favoring a more westward track for the late week disaster lol. When he copied and pasted it, apparently something got lost in the "translation."

1:30am: famartin caves to the Euro showing a huge hit for Ewing and says he just booked his flight home for the next day, so he can be there to witness a BECS. The rest of the board groans.

Funny stuff, Earthlight...

That only happened once this year... so at 1:30pm you should have "The EC flips back to no snow, famartin announces he canceled his flight. The board cheers."

:lol:

That only happened once this year... so at 1:30pm you should have "The EC flips back to no snow, famartin announces he canceled his flight. The board cheers."

:lol:

How about "Famartin complains about the east coast getting snow again because he doesnt want to get on a plane and fly back home."

Great job earthlite. It was truly enjoyable to track this years endless barrage of storms. Lets hope this break in the action is very brief. Then it'll be on to tracking the heat.

What he said. It's been an awesome run, with the record snowsof 2009-10 to the record heat of 2010, and back to record snows again this winter. I'm sure this 2 year period is rivaling if not beating what some experienced back in 1960 between the hurricane hit and the extreme winter in our area.

I wanted to make a run at 95-96, but it doesn't look like that'll happen, until we have a 25"+ March (I guess it's possible, December had 25").

What he said. It's been an awesome run, with the record snowsof 2009-10 to the record heat of 2010, and back to record snows again this winter. I'm sure this 2 year period is rivaling if not beating what some experienced back in 1960 between the hurricane hit and the extreme winter in our area.

I wanted to make a run at 95-96, but it doesn't look like that'll happen, until we have a 25"+ March (I guess it's possible, December had 25").

Yes-- its been a wonderful two years. It all started with the Yanks winning the WS in 2009, and then the 2009-10 winter, the 2010 summer and severe wx season and now the 2010-11 winter! :thumbsup:

I don't know if this quite rivals the 1959-61 stretch for my area....we had 32" in the March 1960 blizzard, got hit by Hurricane Donna in September 1960, and then went on to have 90" of snow in 60-61 with three storms of over 18" and a brutal arctic outbreak in January. Maybe for NYC it does but I'd say that stretch will never be matched in Westchester.

I was starting to think the 60-61 record of 90" here was in danger when I already had 59" last week with two storms on the horizon this week. With neither of this week's storms delivering any accumulation and the pattern moving towards mild/dry in the medium-range, that incredible record of 90" snowfall in Dobbs Ferry should stand another year. It'd take another March 1960 storm to break it, in reality, so you never know. Given the extreme -NAO blocking we're seeing and the beginning of such a dramatic solar minimum, I wouldn't be surprised, however, if 60-61's snowfall record falls in the next two decades. I'm sure some winters during the Little Ice Age exceeded 100" here in the suburbs.

I don't know if this quite rivals the 1959-61 stretch for my area....we had 32" in the March 1960 blizzard, got hit by Hurricane Donna in September 1960, and then went on to have 90" of snow in 60-61 with three storms of over 18" and a brutal arctic outbreak in January. Maybe for NYC it does but I'd say that stretch will never be matched in Westchester.

I'm not sure about factoring a hurricane into the equation, but 7 KU storms (all with big impacts in the region) in 23 months is entirely unprecedented.

Archived