amirah5
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OKX joins the party:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --WITH SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 TENTHS SO FAR AND

ADDITIONAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY AS TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN

BELOW FREEZING THROUGH AT LEAST 12Z...WILL UPGRADE ADVISORIES TO

WARNINGS.-- End Changed Discussion --

isotherms ftw

Re: Chicago...

It's important to understand that they don't get storms like this very often. I believe their #1 storm of all time is short of 2 feet. So this is literally a history making event for that area.

i mentioned this little factoid the other day..... 8 of the snowstorms we've had (central NJ) in the last 10 years would be on the chicago all time top 10 list.

earthlight...its looking more and more like this will be a significant/major icing event for almost everyone in the metro area

Well...if that verifies there will be thousands without power, I can tell you that...and it will probably be one of the more significant icing events in recent memory. We'll have to watch the mid level and surface temperatures carefully the next few hours.

i mentioned this little factoid the other day..... 8 of the snowstorms we've had (central NJ) in the last 10 years would be on the chicago all time top 10 list.

Yeah...I've had four snowstorms greater than their #1 alltime snowstorm in the last 13 months.

So you can understand why the impact is so tremendous there right now given the historical data.

Good luck to all of them, hopefully they stay safe.

On the recent 3 AM update from Upton's point-and-click forecast for Brooklyn and most of the 5 boroughs of NYC, the forecast ice accretions have been increased significantly.

Overnight: Freezing rain and sleet. Low around 28. East wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of 0.2 to 0.4 of an inch possible. Total nighttime sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday: Freezing rain and sleet before 9am, then rain. High near 41. East wind 8 to 14 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Total of 0.3-0.7" now which is up from 0.25" on the last forecast. I think Ice Storm Warnings for the 5 boroughs are likely now soon.

Well...if that verifies there will be thousands without power, I can tell you that...and it will probably be one of the more significant icing events in recent memory. We'll have to watch the mid level and surface temperatures carefully the next few hours.

Ya this definitely doesn't happen often. Will likely catch many by surprise tomorrow morning since most have probably never seen more than 1 or 2 significant icing events in their lifetime.

Overnight: Freezing rain and sleet. Low around 25. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of 0.2 to 0.4 of an inch possible. Total nighttime sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday: Freezing rain and sleet before noon, then rain. High near 38. North wind between 7 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.3 to 0.5 of an inch possible. Little or no snow accumulation expected

OMG!yikes.png

On the recent 3 AM update from Upton's point-and-click forecast for Brooklyn and most of the 5 boroughs of NYC, the forecast ice accretions have been increased significantly.

Total of 0.3-0.7" now which is up from 0.25" on the last forecast. I think Ice Storm Warnings for the 5 boroughs are likely now soon.

they upgraded to warnings at 257

Yeah...I've had four snowstorms greater than their #1 alltime snowstorm in the last 13 months.

So you can understand why the impact is so tremendous there right now given the historical data.

I totally understand that I've spent quite a bit of time in Chicago and have experienced some of their typical 5-8'' events. However I would have thought with the media playing it up so match and Tom Skilling at noon(1pm est) saying get home quickly today and the Blizzard warning in effect people would have taken heed. It was interesting watching their news tonight on WGN America(Fios Channel 8/568). I'm off to bed night guys.

Chicago's top storm was 23" on January 27,1967...their 2nd best storm was 21.6" in January 1999, and 10th best was only 14".

To draw a comparison, I've had three events that would make Chicago's top ten last in the last year. The February 25th Snowicane last year was 3" greater here than Chicago's biggest storm on record.

My temp has come up to 30 now. Looks great out there with the ice coating everything, but I'm noticing more dripping as the temps come up. Not sure if those ice amounts are gonna verify if the temps keep going up at this pace.

My temperature isn't really budging, and there are some massive echoes coming in.

24.7/23 here in Southern Westchester.

Chicago's top storm was 23" on January 27,1967...their 2nd best storm was 21.6" in January 1999, and 10th best was only 14".

To draw a comparison, I've had three events that would make Chicago's top ten last in the last year. The February 25th Snowicane last year was 3" greater here than Chicago's biggest storm on record.

My temperature isn't really budging, and there are some massive echoes coming in.

24.7/23 here in Southern Westchester.

Ya I'm loving that wall of yellow and oranges headed towards us...I'm gonna talk a walk outside to see how bad it is as soon as it makes its way up here

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

317 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...DANGEROUSLY ICY CONDITIONS EXPECTED THIS MORNING...

NJZ006-106-108-NYZ072>075-078>081-176>179-021400-

/O.UPG.KOKX.ZR.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-110202T1400Z/

/O.EXB.KOKX.IS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-110202T1400Z/

HUDSON-EASTERN ESSEX-EASTERN UNION-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-

RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-

NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-

NORTHERN QUEENS-NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

317 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED AN ICE STORM

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING. THE

FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...COASTAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW

JERSEY...AND LONG ISLAND.

* HAZARDS...FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...BETWEEN 1/2 AND 3/4 INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION BY

MID MORNING.

* TIMING...MODERATE FREEZING RAIN MIXED WITH SLEET WILL CONTINUE

THROUGH EARLY THIS MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES SLOWLY CLIMBING THROUGH THE UPPER

20S TO AROUND FREEZING THROUGH DAYBREAK.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THROUGH EARLY THIS

MORNING...WITH UNTREATED ROADWAYS BECOMING A SHEET OF ICE. THESE

TYPE OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL KNOCK DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER

LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN ICE STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS

WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY

DISCOURAGED. COMMERCE WILL LIKELY BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. IF YOU

MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR

VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND WINDS WILL

LIKELY LEAD TO SNAPPED POWER LINES AND FALLING TREE BRANCHES THAT

ADD TO THE DANGER.

I just measured the thickness of the ice crust on the snow as being 1/4", while the thickness of the ice on our street is about 1/8"; presumably the difference is due to the fact that the ZR didn't accumulate on the road during the day, while the ZR did accumulate on the snow during the day. Either way, if we don't get above 32F before about 6 am (we'll need an hour or two to melt the ice at 33-34F, I would think), the morning commute is going to be a complete mess. At 28.6F now up from 26.5F when the ZR started in earnest around midnight.

A lot of ice, but more and more puddles out there now. These temps aren't quite cold enough for a CRIPPLING ice storm. Upper 20s/low 30s isn't quite good enough for all of the rain to accumulate as ice. I can't imagine what this storm would be like with low 20s ... would've been truly crippling. HUGE difference freezing rain with low 20s, compared to freezing rain with temps around 30.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY317 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011...DANGEROUSLY ICY CONDITIONS EXPECTED THIS MORNING...CTZ007>012-NYZ071-021700-/O.UPG.KOKX.ZR.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-110202T1700Z//O.EXB.KOKX.IS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-110202T1700Z/NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-NORTHERN NEW LONDON-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-317 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED AN ICE STORMWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY. THE FREEZINGRAIN ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...COASTAL AND EASTERN CONNECTICUT AND SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER COUNTY.* HAZARDS...FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET.* ACCUMULATIONS...BETWEEN 3/4 AND 1 INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED BY MIDDAY.* TIMING...MODERATE FREEZING RAIN MIXED WITH SLEET WILL DEVELOP EARLY THIS MORNING...AND CONTINUE THROUGH LATE THIS MORNING BEFORE CHANGING TO PLAIN RAIN BY EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.* TEMPERATURES...SLOWLY CLIMBING INTO THE UPPER 20S THROUGH THE MORNING COMMUTE...AND ABOVE FREEZING BY AROUND MIDDAY.* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THROUGH THIS MORNING...WITH UNTREATED ROADWAYS BECOMING A SHEET OF ICE. THESE TYPE OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL KNOCK DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES.

Ya I'm loving that wall of yellow and oranges headed towards us...I'm gonna talk a walk outside to see how bad it is as soon as it makes its way up here

There's literally 45dbz echoes coming right towards us, and temperatures are low enough in Westchester that even heavy rain won't run off much. We're talking about a solid wall of ice and sleet.

A lot of ice, but more and more puddles out there now. These temps aren't quite cold enough for a CRIPPLING ice storm. Upper 20s/low 30s isn't quite good enough for all of the rain to accumulate as ice. I can't imagine what this storm would be like with low 20s ... would've been truly crippling. HUGE difference freezing rain with low 20s, compared to freezing rain with temps around 30.

That's basically what we're dealing with here in Westchester. I'm at 24.8F with heavy freezing rain on the doorstep. There's potential for this to be crippling in the Lower Hudson Valley.

That's basically what we're dealing with here in Westchester. I'm at 24.8F with heavy freezing rain on the doorstep. There's potential for this to be crippling in the Lower Hudson Valley.

every much so, we got upgraded to a Ice storm warning for ice 3/4-1 inch, not good at all.

im up at 27.4

Archived