amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anybody see this out of Wisconsin? I've never seen this before...holy crap.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

CIVIL DANGER WARNING

WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN

WISCONSIN

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

1241 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE

WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN

WISCONSIN.

DRIVING IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TONIGHT ON ALL ROADS IN SOUTHERN

WISCONSIN. IF YOU BECOME STRANDED...EMERGENCY VEHICLES MAY NOT BE

ABLE TO REACH YOU.

IF YOU ARE STRANDED...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE. RUN YOUR VEHICLE

10 MINUTES PER HOUR...AND CRACK A DOWNWIND WINDOW FOR VENTILATION.

Just checked on NOAA's site this is the breakdown of a Civil Danger Warning

A warning of an event that presents a danger to a significant civilian population. The CDW, which usually warns of a specific hazard and gives specific protective action, has a higher priority than the Local Area Emergency (LAE). Examples include contaminated water supply and imminent or in-progress military or terrorist attack. Public protective actions could include evacuation, shelter in place, or other actions (such as boiling contaminated water or seeking medical treatment).

I've never seen one of these before in my life...

Just checked on NOAA's site this is the breakdown of a Civil Danger Warning

A warning of an event that presents a danger to a significant civilian population. The CDW, which usually warns of a specific hazard and gives specific protective action, has a higher priority than the Local Area Emergency (LAE). Examples include contaminated water supply and imminent or in-progress military or terrorist attack. Public protective actions could include evacuation, shelter in place, or other actions (such as boiling contaminated water or seeking medical treatment).

I've never seen one of these before in my life...

Me either. Thanks for the definition. I was browsing SPC and looked at the WWA map and noticed a new color..had to check it out. Seems like it's getting pretty serious up there...but it's probably nothing we haven't seen this winter :lol:

O'Hare gusted to 61 mph, wow.

Cantore's been on Michigan Ave in Chicago all night and he's been great. Got to see him scream and yell like a kid when they got some thundersnow and he's done his usual high energy job of explaining the storm and showing how much he really loves snow. Said there had been a 70 mph gust somewhere in Chitown.

Precip looks as if it has gone to mainly sleet now in Manhattan, sidewalks completely covered. What could be particularly dangerous is the switch back to zr, as noone is awake to shovel the sleet, creating an extremely annoying sheet of solid ice everywhere. The sidewalks are bad enough as is, too.

Interesting; still all freezing rain in New Brunswick.

Wouldn't upper levels be warming if we were going to change to rain? Seems they are cooling if it is sleet now. Also seems that snow line has crept a bit south. Could that high be asserting itself more than models called for? Any pros have thoughts?

Precip looks as if it has gone to mainly sleet now in Manhattan, sidewalks completely covered. What could be particularly dangerous is the switch back to zr, as noone is awake to shovel the sleet, creating an extremely annoying sheet of solid ice everywhere. The sidewalks are bad enough as is, too.

<br>I go to Suffolk Community College both at Brentwood and Seldon. I surprise all these colleges only have just delay opening. Ice is really much more dangerous than snow.<br>
<br><br>Not a singel School district closed at this point. Several 2 hour delays but no closings as of 45 minutes ago.

Wait until the superintendents go outside tomorrow for work and fall on their backsides getting to their cars and then think maybe we might want to delay things or close the school.

Not a singel School district closed at this point. Several 2 hour delays but no closings as of 45 minutes ago.

green tube, your reading may be influenced by the temp of the rain hitting the sensor. the rutgers wx station has theirs enclosed in a wooden vented box to prevent contamination from precipitation. Keep in mind this rains coming through airs thats warmed it up to near 40F

just peaked at intellicast radar and there it seems the rain line is racing north through Jersey and at same time snow line is racing south clsoing in on CT south coast. Is that coastal developing just south of Jersey where all the convection is?

green tube, your reading may be influenced by the temp of the rain hitting the sensor. the rutgers wx station has theirs enclosed in a wooden vented box to prevent contamination from precipitation. Keep in mind this rains coming through airs thats warmed it up to near 40F

interesting. i didnt think of that.

the 31 F line is def a bit south of me on the 2am obs.

but belmar was still at 28. so you may be absolutely right.

It looks as though the freezing rain / non-freezing rain line has essentially stalled its progress to the north on the Monmouth / Ocean county border:

shd_None_anim.gif

looks like the storm is getting split in two here. Is that due to a transfer to the coast? Someone with some knowledge please speak up.

Sorry to take this OT again but I'm getting the feeling people out in Chicago didn't take this storm very seriously NWS put this out about an hour ago..

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL1208 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-020815-WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...CHICAGO...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...FOWLER1208 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011 /108 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011/...BLIZZARD CREATING LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR MOTORISTS...REPORTS FROM MEDIA AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALLY INDICATETHAT HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF VEHICLES HAVE GONE OFF THEROADS. THE GOVERNOR HAS ACTIVATED THE NATIONAL GUARD WHO ARECURRENTLY RESCUING STRANDED MOTORISTS.THE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT...PARTICULARLY INOPEN AREAS WHERE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WILL MAKE TRAVELIMPOSSIBLE. LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE TELLING PEOPLE TOSTAY OFF THE ROADS AS NOT A SINGLE ROAD IS PASSABLE IN RURAL ANDOPEN AREAS. THEY ARE ASKING PEOPLE TO STAY IN A SAFE PLACE AND NOTTO LEAVE HOME TONIGHT.THIS IS A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. DO NOT TRAVELUNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY OVERNIGHT.

OKX joins the party:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --WITH SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 TENTHS SO FAR AND

ADDITIONAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY AS TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN

BELOW FREEZING THROUGH AT LEAST 12Z...WILL UPGRADE ADVISORIES TO

WARNINGS.-- End Changed Discussion --

Archived