• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 6

Hoosier

"1999" came on the radio on New Years eve in 1998...it is one of those weird memories that sticks with me. I ended up getting blasted with the biggest blizzard of my life right after that. Fast forward to 2/12/2007. I'm in the car and the song comes on the radio. I got hammered with the second biggest blizzard the next day.

Hmm well it is time for you to get in your car, and if Purple Rain comes on then I don't know what to tell ya :P

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much man.. I feel pretty guilty ever time that NW trend starts rearing its head and that's why I have been awful quiet in the thread... I hate when the NW trends shoots others down from something we all can't get enough of and the thread shrinks to nothing almost in the past.. Hope to hell LAF and me can find a happy medium at worst.. All I wanted is 6-8" and I'll take that like a ma if it helps others and the Hoosier crew.

I'd love a huge hit but whatever will be will be. I'm just glad there's actually a big storm.

We're set! Remember our conversation earlier in the winter when we were getting the December blitz? The sky is the limit at this point.

With that said, I am going to head back to the hometown Tuesday morning after class. Hopefully we stay all snow up there.

Yes, the sky is the limit. I have a very good feeling about most of February too.

Good luck back home. :snowman:

Unfortunately everybody can't win, that's just the nature of the beast. Reality is the jackpot will be north and west of here, and I'm cool with that. I'd be happy with at least 6" of snow after seeing all the flips and flops on the models. This storm has probably taken a few months off my life. At this point I just want it to get underway, you know? :)

Take a day (or three) off and go relax with some brew in IKK :)

And, I kind-of agree about wanting to get it underway. However, tracking a storm is at least 50% of the fun, right?

Take a day (or three) off and go relax with some brew in IKK :)

And, I kind-of agree about wanting to get it underway. However, tracking a storm is at least 50% of the fun, right?

If I could get back here by Wednesday morning I would. I don't see that being possible right now. :lol:

:beer: 's will be flowing here regardless.

But yes the tracking part is fun, but the actual event is the bees knees.

20-30", favoring 20-25"

23.0" is the magic number to beat...

If I could get back here by Wednesday morning I would. I don't see that being possible right now. :lol:

:beer: 's will be flowing here regardless.

But yes the tracking part is fun, but the actual event is the bees knees.

lmaosmiley.gif

Yeah, I'm not going to attempt a return till Friday. Unless, of course, things go awry and we end up having much less snow than is currently expected. Quite possibly the most interesting potential that I've seen yet. This may be the one I tell the grandkids about (if all works for the best). laugh.gif

watch out for convective snows from STL to LAF...and dynamical cooling with it causing heavy heavy snow instead of sleet or zr at times.

bank on it..

Good night and good luck

That is one of the complicating factors in the forecast. Heavy precip could try to flip it to snow but we all know how WAA is often underdone.

Not sure if we are going to start an obs thread or not--but light snow in the Twin Cities now. Enough for 1/2" of sparkly powder thus far.

Obs threads are region stat padders :P

If we are going to start one though I think saving it for the main show would probably be the best.

Obs threads are region stat padders :P

If we are going to start one though I think saving it for the main show would probably be the best.

Yeah prolly a good idea. Definitely will want to keep those for this historic storm. I remember how crazy the Northern Plains blizzard got--this will make that look like a rather minor event in comparison.

back from LOT

quote of the night from there is from Paul Merzlock who is a great winter weather forecaster "This is the most impressive setup I've seen in ages, reminds me of the 1979 storm.

was really sweet just watching him and Gino take a look at the new runs and such. Since LOT has already "scared everyone" according to Gino about big amounts and such he spent some time looking for things that could hamper totals. He was worried about a possible last second shift either way and the dry slot which IMO isn't a big concern for us right now but he was looking at mean RH between 500mb-700mb, looked a bit closer getting up here.

They are just as big of weenies as we are looking at snowfall amounts laughing and being giddy and swearing as well due to how impressive this looks.

As for the models...I'd like to the NAM come back with the curved track. The GFS looks pretty good track wise and the Euro trended down on qpf amounts up here. Can't wait for the new 12z runs tomorrow. Lastly, that 48hr sim ref off the NMM is gorgeous :thumbsup:

Great morning afd from IND. Here is a short snip of expected impact:

WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS ARE EXPECTED ON TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY AS THE DEEPENING SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AND ITS STRONG PRESSURE GRADIENT PUSHES TO THE SOUTH OF INDIANA ALONG THE OHIO RIVER. THIS COULD RESULT IN DEVASTATING CONDITIONS FOR CENTRAL INDIANA. THE COMBINATION OF AN INCH OF ICE ALONG WITH WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE WILL LIKELY RESULT WIDESPREAD TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN. GIVEN THE LARGE EXTENT OF THE AREA THAT MAY BE EFFECTED...LONG DURATION POWER OUTAGES APPEAR POSSIBLE.

Archived