• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 6

Hoosier

I am thinking and telling people that I believe the interstates may be shut down in some areas - I know it is rare but this could be one time it happens.

Yeah I could see the potential of some of the ones around Chicago being closed, and maybe even the 80/90 through IN if the winds are realized and out of the NE direction.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go, comfortable with making a first call as I said I would Sunday Night. I am a bit iffy on the precip totals in some areas. That purplish zone on the map is going to be a fun area, NOT, in terms of a forecasting standpoint. As that zone will likely have a switch to snow as well with potential of some decent snows as mid level cooling happens before the event ends. Here we go and criticize if you like.

Ok, since your gray FZRA area goes right over my house... please expound on the temp profiles that you expect to cause this. NWS has some minor FZRA in the forecast for your gray area, however I'm seeing high temps near 39F in this area. Why the FZRA? And why "major" ? Don't get me wrong, I'll take an ice storm. But can you expound?

Here we go, comfortable with making a first call as I said I would Sunday Night. I am a bit iffy on the precip totals in some areas. That purplish zone on the map is going to be a fun area, NOT, in terms of a forecasting standpoint. As that zone will likely have a switch to snow as well with potential of some decent snows as mid level cooling happens before the event ends. Here we go and criticize if you like.

1-5" of snow for me/omaha

Looks rock solid Justin :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting your thoughts...I'd be more conservative though over here, but that would be epic.

WAA is really good in Madison as well though. That could be the reason why.

MKE:

WAA: .33 QPF

2nd Storm: .62 QPF

Total: .95 QPF

MSN:

WAA: .39 QPF

2nd Storm: .48 QPF

Total: .87 QPF

The event for tommorow should have very good ratios. Plus they'll have better ratios because they are farther NW from the low. I would say something like 16-18:1 ratios for MSN and 13-15:1 ratios for MKE.

Hence the higher totals.

You get a gold star for that post. Very nice.

Looks like I might be right in the cross hairs of the icing event here Tuesday night-Wednesday AM. All models show a warm layer moving in with any precip likely over to sleet by Tuesday evening and zr by midnight Tuesday night. Most models then print out at least .5" of QPF after midnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning and don't really bring temps above 30, so ice should accrete well. NAM probably has about an inch of zr here as it shows a shorter period of sleet, which would be bad.

Ok, since your gray FZRA area goes right over my house... please expound on the temp profiles that you expect to cause this. NWS has some minor FZRA in the forecast for your gray area, however I'm seeing high temps near 39F in this area. Why the FZRA? And why "major" ? Don't get me wrong, I'll take an ice storm. But can you expound?

You may have a brief period of icing as the event unfolds, but should change over to rain. My technology at home is not as great as what I use at work, so I can't make the gradients as tight as I would like. So I broadbrushed it a bit. In any event, at the height of the storm, yes you will likely be all rain.

10-15"? I'm game.

HPC going with a part of the 18z NAm and it was suspect. Being on the N NE side of the low here in MI and with temps in the 20's I think ratios will still be good. Obviously not as good as being on the NW side of the low but I am curious what y'all think they will be here.

Not 18z, 0z NAM. For the most part if it doesn't have the time of the run around the time of that suite (0z Suite coming out now)... it's the most current one. Wish I could've worded that better... but you get the idea.

Archived