12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 6

Hoosier

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't made any calls for this event, but like so many in the past we're going to see an impressive gradient LOT wide and i anticipate some enchanced banding which will tantilize but screw some just north. I think areas as far NW as RFD stand a good chance of failing to hit double digits, while far SE areas from IKK to TornadoTony will go well over a foot, to near 2 ft lakeshore NW Indiana. Some prelim calls around LOT, amounts not including 1-2" overrunning snows:

Rockford-6-9"

Schaumburg/Chistorm/Beast: 9-11"

IMBY: 12-15"

IKK: 14-18"

Gary: 16-24"

6z NAM has a dark blue .5-.75 over the far NW suburbs.

EDIT: i do think i confused Des Plaines with DeKalb, my bad.

The NAM which is suffering from feedback issues that B-I made note of and one tiny speck of dark blue surrounded by lighter blues all the way up to southern WI doesn't constitute reasoning of worry.

I haven't made any calls for this event, but like so many in the past we're going to see an impressive gradient LOT wide and i anticipate some enchanced banding which will tantilize but screw some just north. I think areas as far NW as RFD stand a good chance of failing to hit double digits, while far SE areas from IKK to TornadoTony will go well over a foot, to near 2 ft lakeshore NW Indiana. Some prelim calls around LOT, amounts not including 1-2" overrunning snows:

Rockford-6-9"

Schaumburg/Chistorm/Beast: 9-11"

IMBY: 12-15"

IKK: 14-18"

Gary: 16-24"

Not bad. but 06z would still be 12-15 inches for Chicago metro and even ORD.

6z NAM has a dark blue .5-.75 over the far NW suburbs.

EDIT: i do think i confused Des Plaines with DeKalb, my bad.

Don't worry. All we need is a 25 mile shift in the storm track to the NW. Not even. Still 30hrs to go. I guess Izzy being conservative was the fear of a potential more narrow band southeast of Chicago than progged.

I see csnavywx lurking--what are your thoughts?

06Z NAM definitely having problems still. 06Z GFS still on track as is the Euro. SREFs still on track (minus a few the ETA members as usual). I'm liking the number of meso models that depict the NW curve in the track now. QPF is going to be a bit of a wild card it seems though, and I don't like diving in against the Euro, especially when it's been extremely steadfast on its solution for days on end now. However, cutting back just a tad (2-4 on totals) and upping the winds seems like a good place to go at this point.

Still favoring the fast occlusion and NW hook scenario as opposed to the flat track, and still think we see a general 1.5 to 1.2 from ORD to DVN for liquid equivalent for the main storm.

Gotta run, I'll be back in a few hours.

06Z NAM definitely having problems still. 06Z GFS still on track as is the Euro. SREFs still on track (minus a few the ETA members as usual). I'm liking the number of meso models that depict the NW curve in the track now. QPF is going to be a bit of a wild card it seems though, and I don't like diving in against the Euro, especially when it's been extremely steadfast on its solution for days on end now. However, cutting back just a tad (2-4 on totals) and upping the winds seems like a good place to go at this point.

Still favoring the fast occlusion and NW hook scenario as opposed to the flat track, and still think we see a general 1.5 to 1.2 from ORD to DVN for liquid equivalent for the main storm.

What do u think ratios will be for ORD? I am a bit confused with the 10 or 12:1 ratio when temps are progged to be lower/mid 20s Tuesday night. Well majority of storm.

What do u think ratios will be for ORD? I am a bit confused with the 10 or 12:1 ratio when temps are progged to be lower/mid 20s Tuesday night. Well majority of storm.

Here is a tidbit from the afd...

"QPF IN REASONABLY GOOD AGREEMENT AMONG THEVARIOUS MODELS AND USING A REASONABLY CONSERVATIVE 10-12:1 SLRRESULTS IN SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 8-14 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT ALONE."

I couldn't agree more.

Hoping you post more--enjoy your thoughts.

Methinks you are a professor or grad student at NIU.

Archived