• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 31-February 2 Potentially Historic Winter Storm

Hoosier

I'm one of the same my man. can't wait to have a career in this one day.

It's hard to see past school sometimes. The math and hardcore stuff can be somewhat taxing. But I always find it important to look at it from a broad perspective..as far as where it will get you in your career, it's the most important thing in your life. Work through it, and you can sit yourself down at work one day in the NWS feeling completely satisfied with where you are. Unless you're working in NWS Honolulu or something...I have to say that would kind of suck.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My home weather station recorded blizzard conditions for 6 straight hours. I posted a few times that night that if there was a heaven on earth, I was pretty sure I was in it. :lol: These are my favorite two pictures that I took from the event..I literally went on a walk and didn't come back for two hours. I'm pretty much as big of a snow lover as they come.

From a meteorological standpoint the event was equally as awesome. Never in my lifetime have I seen such a tremendous turnaround within 54 hours of forecast modeling. We went west literally 250 miles in a few model cycles. It's known in the NYC/PHL threads as "The Christmas Miracle". Awesome stuff..and also an awesome case study..which I'm already working on with some fellow meteorology majors.

http://i.imgur.com/48Bn3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wYSw5.jpg

wow nice pics, GL on the study hopefully you guys pursue publication i'd love to read your findings.

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing! One day I would love to witness that. My first and only blizzard was the Christmas Eve blizzard of '09 down here in OK....gusts to 55MPH with up to a foot of snow. Was the 1st blizzard warning for OKC in 30 years. May not see that here again in a lifetime.

Thanks bud. I've had the luck of living through this tremendous period of winter weather on the East Coast.

I've been alive for the Blizzard of '96, '03, '05, '06, and have seen 125" of snow in the last 13 months. I've done some research into the climo out here and it seems like it's only a matter of time until we enter a "dead period"...my parents always reference the 1980's as one of the greatest ones. After so many years of above average snowfall, you know it has to fall back to climo eventually.

I still can't believe OKC has only had 1 blizzard warning in 30 years. That's incredible.

It's hard to see past school sometimes. The math and hardcore stuff can be somewhat taxing. But I always find it important to look at it from a broad perspective..as far as where it will get you in your career, it's the most important thing in your life. Work through it, and you can sit yourself down at work one day in the NWS feeling completely satisfied with where you are. Unless you're working in NWS Honolulu or something...I have to say that would kind of suck.

Tropical meteorology can be quite fascinating. I loved my semester out there learning about the trade wind inversion and it's effect on rainfall. Local effects are so much more important there too, since synoptics are basically nil. I would say SoCal offices have much more boring weather, outside of your big El Nino years, but that's just me (I've never been one to turn down a mai tai :thumbsup:)

Getting back on topic, the 00z GEFS is beefing up the 850 wind anomalies even further. There is going to be some fantastic precip generation with this storm.

wow nice pics, GL on the study hopefully you guys pursue publication i'd love to read your findings.

Thanks! We're still in the very early stages of the study. Luckily we all were able to snap to archiving as soon as we saw the slightest hint of the west trend and had the idea it might be something memorable.

Ahh, good ol' NIU. That's a great school man. I was originally planning on attending NIU for meteorology before I derailed and went into chemistry. Someday we'll be seeing your forecasts on Gilbert's NIU page. :guitar:

Ya I can't see myself doing anything but Meteorology, I hate the math part and its tough for me but I will get through it eventually.

I chased with Gilbert on 6/5 last year :)

Tropical meteorology can be quite fascinating. I loved my semester out there learning about the trade wind inversion and it's effect on rainfall. Local effects are so much more important there too, since synoptics are basically nil. I would say SoCal offices have much more boring weather, outside of your big El Nino years, but that's just me (I've never been one to turn down a mai tai :thumbsup:)

Getting back on topic, the 00z GEFS is beefing up the 850 wind anomalies even further. There is going to be some fantastic precip generation with this storm.

SoCal persistence forecast!

And agreed on Hawaii...I guess I've just fallen in love with CONUS weather synoptics for the time being :lol:

Probably the following Spring ('12) instead.

I'll be looking for a roommate...:whistle:

Ya for sure, I'd be down.

thinking about just commuting and saving the money, only a 25 min drive but still haven't decided yet.

gosh Chi storm and T-snow in the same room at NIU...lol

a question for you guys...how much would you pay for a 20" snowstorm. serious question lol.

Ah, what a day. :wub:

You have to get me a chase with you two this season. :thumbsup:

thinking about just commuting and saving the money, only a 25 min drive but still haven't decided yet.

a question for you guys...how much would you pay for a 20" snowstorm. serious question lol.

One of your profs there, Walker Ashley, seems like a good severe weather expert. He has some good publications--and a great photo website.

Ah, what a day. :wub:

You have to get me a chase with you two this season. :thumbsup:

6/5/10 was hands down the biggest brainfart of my chasing "career". Several things fell through earlier in the day that didn't allow us to chase until much later in the day. By the time it all became sorted out the event was underway and we basically missed the boat. Looking back there were ways I could have got out of the prior obligations that would have allowed us to hit the road in a timely fashion. Sucks that a great outbreak happened so close to home and we didn't see any of it lol.

Ahhhh, but to digress...can't wait to see those Euro ensembles.

Have to talk about it more in the future...

It would probably be chaos.

I probably wouldn't. The waiting game and the rarity would make worth the long wait once it occurs.

Archived