EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011 Part 2

okie333

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only do a lot of people here in Oklahoma not have snow shovels, but the hardware stores are literally bare of them. I've got a plastic job that's served me pretty well, but it's starting to develop cracks, so I've been trying to get my hands on another, but no dice. When you only get 6" or less of snow on the ground at a time and it almost always melts within a few days, a shovel isn't terribly necessary unless you have steps or a steep driveway, so I understand why a lot of folks don't have one. Big snowstorms like this are a once every 10-20 year event for us.

Personally, I have a snow shovel, about 50 pounds of ice melt, and 20 gallons of kerosene for my heater. smile.gif

More on topic, I've looked more at the models and I'm beginning to get a bit concerned. (well, actually sorta happy) I initially thought much of the stuff next Wed-Thu would be liquid, but the GFS disagrees strongly. It'll be interesting to see what things look like over the next couple of days.

ok to be honest im getting scared. ive got to get out to buy snowboots and a shovel before the next storm. and more groceries i have a 2010 chevy aveo only owned since sept. no idea how it does on snow.

I'm not scared (well, other than the boots part... have a shovel though bc of a steep driveway). I always dreamed of getting this much snow... now that I have it, I realize that it's not as good as I dreamed it would be.... IT'S BETTER!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't think any of the next couple of systems are going to be terribly heavy, but my main concern is that it isn't going to take a whole lot more snow to continue the problems we have already been experiencing.

Depends on if the storm comes out in two pieces or one and if it phases again.

We have occasional big snowstorms. Some lady here used a rake to rake the snow out of the way but it wasn't working too well.

I know I shouldnt laugh but that really did it. I dont think your gonna get far with a rake lmao!!! And more to come maybe....damn man we are off to a late winter. Today I just finally got us all cleared out im beat. I dont think my body has ever ached so bad lol. Im gonna be looking for a snow blower on clearance come summer. Old age is slowly starting to creep in....so it feels anyhow haha

welp made snow ice cream but my daughter wont help me eat it all made a mixing bowl full..guess i gotta eat it all myself got it in my patio room if i leave it there ill wake up to ice.

There's better things to make with snow... :whistle:

BTW going on Snow Day #4 down here...my God. If we really do get the Wednesday storm school may never open. :popcorn:

Day 3 of frozen February. The major businesses are open, but many of the second tier stores (antique stores, second hand shops, gift shops, mediocre restaurants) are largely closed. Highway 62, the main E-W road in N AR remains ice/snow covered although by afternoon, areas of pavement started to appear. The main problem is a solid inch of ice compacted like iron on the roadway. Arkansas is apparently not a big believer in highway salt. Clearly a few hours of sun and 32 degree plus temps would change this quickly, but we will wait a little longer.

As far as more snow is concerned. I recall the following, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. :snowman:

Hello everyone! I live in Tulsa, and finally was able to join this chat. First, I have really enjoyed reading all the comments and forecasts. I am loving all the snow, but I'm having cabin fever now. I am curious about this storm on Wednesday...what's the latest on that?

This covers a few of our posters... enjoy another light snow:

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TULSA HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CST THIS

EVENING...

FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

* IN OKLAHOMA...CHOCTAW...ADAIR...SEQUOYAH...PUSHMATAHA...LE

FLORE...LATIMER AND HASKELL. IN ARKANSAS...BENTON...SEBASTIAN...

WASHINGTON...CARROLL... MADISON...FRANKLIN AND CRAWFORD.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* AN UPPER LOW OVER TEXAS WILL MOVE NORTHEAST INTO EASTERN

OKLAHOMA TODAY AND ON NORTHEAST TO THE LOWER OHIO VALLEY

OVERNIGHT. THIS TRACK WILL BRING A LIGHT SNOW TO SOUTHEAST

OKLAHOMA AND WEST CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST ARKANSAS TODAY.

LIGHT SNOW OR FLURRIES MAY LINGER INTO THE EVENING HOURS

IN NORTHWEST ARKASAS.

* 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED THROUGH 9 PM CST

THIS EVENING. A FEW HIGH ELEVATIONS MAY REACH 3 INCHES.

I am watching trends along the Missouri/Arkansas border area.

This little tidbit from the Little Rock morning AFD:

AS HAS BEEN THE CASE THE LAST FEW DAYS...THERE ARE SOME MODEL

DIFFERENCES WITH RESPECT TO TIMING AND PLACEMENT OF SYSTEMS IN THE

EXTENDED RANGE. A FEW THINGS THAT THE MODELS ARE AGREEING ON THOUGH

IS THAT...

1...THERE WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT STORM SYSTEM SOME TIME DURING THE

MIDDLE OF THE WEEK THAT WILL AFFECT ARKANSAS...

2...THERE WILL BE VERY LITTLE IF ANY OPPORTUNITY FOR THE AIR MASS

OVER THE REGION TO MODIFY BETWEEN THE END OF THE SHORT TERM AND THE

TIME THE SYSTEM AFFECTS THE REGION...AND...

3...IT WILL BE VERY COLD BEHIND THE SYSTEM

THE PERIOD WILL START WITH THE AREA BEING IN BETWEEN SYSTEMS...WITH

HIGH PRESSURE NOSING THROUGH IN NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT. AS AN UPPER

TROUGH MOVES AWAY FROM THE REGION...ANOTHER TROUGH WILL MOVE DOWN

FROM THE CANADIAN ROCKIES...WHICH WILL GIVE AN ARCTIC FRONT IN THE

PLAINS A PUSH INTO THE REGION. SURFACE LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP

ALONG THE FRONT...WITH UPLIFT ALONG AND NORTH OF THE BOUNDARY. THE

UPPER FLOW WILL FLATTEN OUT A BIT...WHICH WILL SLOW THE SYSTEM DOWN.

From SGF:

HEADING INTO TUESDAY...ANOTHER STRONG DISTURBANCE IS EXPECTED TO

MOVE INTO THE AREA...WITH BOTH THE GFS AND EC BREAKING OUT

SIGNIFICANT QPF OVER THE THE CWA...WITH HIGHEST AMOUNTS SOUTH OF

I-44. RAW MODEL QPF FROM BOTH MODELS HAS LIQUID WATER AMOUNTS

NEARING ONE INCH OVER THE SOUTHERN CWA...WHICH WOULD OBVIOUSLY

TRANSLATE INTO SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. WHILE THIS SYSTEM

WILL HAVE A FAR...FAR BETTER GULF CONNECTION THAN THE ONE EXPECTED

SUNDAY AND MONDAY...INITIAL ISENTROPIC ANALYSIS AND APPLICATION OF

GARCIA METHOD BRINGS THAT AMOUNT OF QPF INTO QUESTION.

I STILL THINK THAT SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOWS ARE A POSSIBILITY...BUT

WASN`T COMFORTABLE GOING AS HIGH AS DETERMINISTIC OUTPUT AT THIS

DISTANCE. WITHOUT A DOUBT...THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WILL NEED TO BE

WATCHED CAREFULLY THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

FINALLY...AS IF SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOW WASN`T ENOUGH...RAW

MODEL TEMPS FOR THE END OF NEXT WEEK MAY MAKE THE LAST FEW DAYS LOOK

LIKE CHILD`S PLAY...WITH BOTH THE EC AND GFS TAKING 850 TEMPS BELOW

-20C. WITH A SNOW PACK IN PLACE...AND A FRESH ONE TO BOOT...850

TEMPS THAT LOW COULD EASILY CORRELATE TO HIGHS IN THE LOW TEENS AND

LOWS WELL INTO NEGATIVE TERRITORY.

We're on snow day #4 here too...thankfully, my kids escaped cabin fever by going to spend the night with my mother in law last night. Our roads are mostly fine, so I'm guessing they closed today because of messy roads in the hills that I haven't seen, or because of the expected snow today. Then chances on several different days next week...I don't know WHEN they'll go back! Our district closes for the tiniest amounts sometimes. I have to admit that I'm grateful for it despite the cabin fever for the kids...at least they're at home safe.

BTW, all we got out of the epic storm was a small glaze of sleet/ice and about an inch of snow on top of it.

We're on snow day #4 here too...thankfully, my kids escaped cabin fever by going to spend the night with my mother in law last night. Our roads are mostly fine, so I'm guessing they closed today because of messy roads in the hills that I haven't seen, or because of the expected snow today. Then chances on several different days next week...I don't know WHEN they'll go back! Our district closes for the tiniest amounts sometimes. I have to admit that I'm grateful for it despite the cabin fever for the kids...at least they're at home safe.

BTW, all we got out of the epic storm was a small glaze of sleet/ice and about an inch of snow on top of it.

Are you seeing snow yet?

There are about to be some big surprises in OK..... .25 liquid could drop alot of snow with these temps...Atoka has had 4 inches already in SE OK

The NAM, RUC, and HRRR have all shown this since yesterday afternoon, so I'm slightly surprised that not even the hype-happy local media seized the opportunity to jump on it. Nice, moderate SN here... looks like an inch should be easy, maybe two.

Archived