e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011 Part 2

okie333

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy watching all the neighbors out in the snow. I don't know what they think they're doing since everything is closed and the street still has 2 ft of snow on it.

The storm next week is up in the air, the Euro wasn't as gung-ho about it last night and it looks like the 12z GFS is going to bring it out in pieces. I hope it's farther south so people like Spot and NW Ark can get some decent snowfall.

This storm has ruined me and I'll probably never see anything like it again.

Couple Qs for you JoMo. Did you ever get a total for Joplin? How is the area equipped for snow removal? Trying to find out for my Mom who has no clue. Thanks in Advance.

Never got an official total. I would guess it would be 19-20" being how we had 18" then another hour or two of mod snowfall then another hour or two of light snowfall.

The city has snow removal equipment, and salt/cinders. The side streets may not get plowed for days though.

Rural areas just south of here are pretty screwed though as they don't have snow removal.

Never got an official total. I would guess it would be 19-20" being how we had 18" then another hour or two of mod snowfall then another hour or two of light snowfall.

The city has snow removal equipment, and salt/cinders. The side streets may not get plowed for days though.

Rural areas just south of here are pretty screwed though as they don't have snow removal.

I think i got somewhere in the ballpark of what you got jomo...our totals throughout the storm were very similiar. Im guessing probly close to 20" here as well. This town is crippled even the major roads in town are just covered and it looks like the plows just went down the middle of the roads to make a path for vehicles thats it. Thats what they did on our road last night, right down the middle of it. What an insane storm it was....i think the winds and all the drifting is what made it so bad. I see more snow chanced sunday into monday. To be honest let someone else have it. This current stuff is going to take me ages to burry out from lol.

I know one thing we are trapped in. Its like snow fence barriers all the way around the yard here and house. I dont know what the heck we are gonna do if we need something or have to get out lol. I dont think I can shovel snow thats waist deep drifts everywhere. Dont think I have ever seen anything this bad in my lifetime. 2006 we got 18" from that storm but it didnt seem as bad as this one was. I guess it feels worst cause we are trapped probly. Gonna have to see if I can find anyone with a backhoe or something to maybe come and try to dig us out a bit or at least the car anyhow

Pay no attention to the models today. They initialized the entire region with very little snow (from around 2" in most locations to almost 6" in one location) on the ground. Easily one of the most serious initialization errors I've ever seen on the models, and most NWS offices didn't catch it.

Pay no attention to the models today. They initialized the entire region with very little snow (from around 2" in most locations to almost 6" in one location) on the ground. Easily one of the most serious initialization errors I've ever seen on the models, and most NWS offices didn't catch it.

36 hours to get all snowfall in the models is what I've heard from Meteorologists. Temps will be colder than shown on the models over the snowpacked areas.

12z Euro brings another much weaker system across the area in 4-5 days or so. Track of the weak surface low would be from NCentral TX to what looks like SW Indiana. All models showing something in that time range.

Then it breaks off from what the GFS is showing at 168 and is dropping a system in across the west which will travel across S Texas and probably throw up some overrunning precip into S OK on eastward.

12z Euro brings another much weaker system across the area in 4-5 days or so. Track of the weak surface low would be from NCentral TX to what looks like SW Indiana. All models showing something in that time range.

Then it breaks off from what the GFS is showing at 168 and is dropping a system in across the west which will travel across S Texas and probably throw up some overrunning precip into S OK on eastward.

Euro has around .25 QPF for S MO in the Sun/Mon timeframe but much less in N AR. Around .23 Tulsa area. By day 7 has a little system giving TUL around .11 and cant tell about places east of there as it is just beyond the day 7 time period. JMA has a much bigger system by day 7 (999 SLP) over N TX but looks a little warm for this region at least to start.

Got out and shoveled some paths. Had to shovel in front of the garage so it wouldn't get stuck. Looked on the east side of the house and there was a 4-5 ft drift. If I was a surfer I would have jumped on that wave. Also had to shovel a path to the dryer vent to get it out from under the snow. Took some pics, may have those later. Next mission is to shovel through the 3 ft drift on the driveway to get to the mailbox.

Got out and shoveled some paths. Had to shovel in front of the garage so it wouldn't get stuck. Looked on the east side of the house and there was a 4-5 ft drift. If I was a surfer I would have jumped on that wave. Also had to shovel a path to the dryer vent to get it out from under the snow. Took some pics, may have those later. Next mission is to shovel through the 3 ft drift on the driveway to get to the mailbox.

Thats what I did today....spent all day shoveling again and havent accomplished much lol. I need a bobcat or something.

North facing house = bad idea.

There's like a 3 ft drift on the entire driveway, got to the mailbox.. no mail :(

I have a north facing house on a hill sloping down towards the street (steepest driveway in the neighborhood) and love it! I'm usually the last person in the neighborhood to have the snow melt, and the amounts IMBY are greater that those of the houses on the other side of the road. Also my roof is more sloped than others so it does something with the wind that makes it deposit the snow in my backyard instead of the one across the street.

I have a north facing house on a hill sloping down towards the street (steepest driveway in the neighborhood) and love it! I'm usually the last person in the neighborhood to have the snow melt, and the amounts IMBY are greater that those of the houses on the other side of the road. Also my roof is more sloped than others so it does something with the wind that makes it deposit the snow in my backyard instead of the one across the street.

Yeah there is a ton of snow outside and it will take forever to melt even though there's a Feb sun. I'll try to get a pic up of the insane drift on the east side (it's like a wind tunnel) sometime. I have this path around my house with like 1" of sleet. but all the snow has been blown around it. That's how much sleet seems to be under the snow here.

Yeah, north facing isn't great. Of course, there isn't much that is right now except a few spots between downtown buildings that the wind keeps swept clear. I just spent a good long while digging my car out. It was really way too much work for having been out yesterday around noon, but there's now a path from my driveway out to the ruts in my street. From there I should be able to make it the block to 15th without any further digging..I hope.

Archived