• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 4

earthlight

RU848789, on 26 January 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:2" in the last 75 minutes, as of 11:15 pm. Wow. Pouring snow with maybe 1/8 mile visibility right now. 5.5" from Part 1 and now 4.5" from Part 2 for 10.0" total. Up to 50" for the season! Radar is insane over my part of Middlesex County right now, with 35-40 DBZ echos, so I'm hoping for another 4" or more before it's over. I love snow.

Double wow - as of 12:15 am, one hour later, we now have 7.5" of new snow, meaning we got 3.0" in the last hour. I think that's the most I've ever recorded, although I wasn't recording snowfall rates for the Jan 1996 storm or anything before that. I guess the radar really doesn't lie, lol - those yellows were over us for most of the last hour and I got to walk around in it for awhile. Just a deluge of snow like I've never seen before - definitely a little heavier than I recall for 12/26/10, although not as windy, so visibility was still a little better tonight, as visibility is about 200 yards right now, whereas it went down to 50 yards or less at times due to the heavy snowfall plus the wind for the 12/26 storm. Looks like only another 1-2 hours of accumulating snow. At 13.0" total right now - would love to get to 16".

Just got back in from another walk outside and I implore you armchair snow weenies - get the F up off the couch and get outside and walk around - it's simply gorgeous out there. Anyway, as of 1:15 am we now have 10.5" of new snow, meaning we just had our 2nd hour in a row with 3" per hour rates. Never seen that before. 16.0" total today, bringing the seasonal total up to 56". Looks like another hour or so of accumulating snow, so maybe we get to 17-18" total.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but for now it's pulsing heavier in our area... unreal.

Kudos for driving out in this! You have a total?

I didn't think I was going out tonight, but my friend from the other side of town invited me over. Usually she doesn't let me drive on her back rooms in storms. It was almost scary, but thrilling at the same time.

it's really impossible to measure, I didn't clear any areas and the areas that were clear, our landlord came through and blew through it with his plow and shovels :/

I do know that we had just about 3 inches with the first batch and probably at least 10 inches since then...

smithtown has 20" today???? NO EFFING WAY! it was sleet till 11pm, no?

That was 20 on the ground at 1AM. We had 13 on the ground before the snow started this morning.

But that was 45 minutes ago...we are pushing 23" on the ground now...this is total insanity for the past hour. As of 1:45 we are at about 11" for this storm...and increasing rapidly!

KBDR 31 29 10 at 12 1000.3 1 OVC 0.43 heavy snow

jaw-dropping

The last 5-10 years have produced storms with ridiculous snowfall rates which to be honest I never thought was possible...6in/hr in a non LES band??? (from the 1.5 ace reported in 15min that was corroborated by the 1.0 jm reported in 15 minutes like a half hr later)

one of the few storms where its going to end much later than we thought.. i thought between 1am and 3am for the area.. and its always quicker than first thought.. and now it looks like ending between 3 and 5 for the area.. this is what i said needed to happen for someone to reach 20" and with so many people sleeping im sure there will be a report of 24" in the early morning

Archived