Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Jan 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if my memory serves me correctly, at least at my latitude, there was no rain at all in Dec 2003. a matter of fact i drove from NYC to Philly that day and it snowed the entire ride until we arrived at Philly proper.

Im also not sure what he is referring to with Dec. 2003. We started off as a light rain/snow mix in Holmdel that morning of Dec. 5th with temps in the mid-30s. In 30 mins, we wetbulbed below freezing, changed to snow and never looked back, accumulating 8" by late afternoon. then some freezing dirzzle thru the night til the ccb formed with the coastal and produced another 5" or so for my area

Umm I guess it's not a bad analog at all looking at upper level maps and the airmass in place. Everything was a little more west with that though. It would probably be a very similar reason to why we would (if we do) change over to snow, the bombing coastal.

I remember they changed to freezing rain and thunder in northwest NJ and a good icestorm in the Hudson Valley as the storm started to bomb off the coast. Snow to start Christmas Eve night, then the snow on the backend obviously. 22" of snow fell at my Aunt's in Monroe NY around the icestorm and they could not make it to my Uncle's on Staten Island that Christmas. Great memories from that storm.

I lived in Morris Co. in 2002 and that storm will forever be etched in my memory for experiencing a progression of sleet > freezing rain > thunder > hail (yes - hail) > heavy snow. My favorite Jebwalk of all time was Christmas night. Wound up with about 8" on the backside (if I were to post this in the MA forum, there'd be a separate thread thanks to that phrase).

This storm doesn't seem THAT close as far as the early-goings are concerned. Then again, I did see a little tiny speck of black (convective precip) on the CoolWx graphic for the 12Z GFS:

post-828-0-99945200-1295893392.png

Im also not sure what he is referring to with Dec. 2003. We started off as a light rain/snow mix in Holmdel that morning of Dec. 5th with temps in the mid-30s. In 30 mins, we wetbulbed below freezing, changed to snow and never looked back, accumulating 8" by late afternoon. then some freezing dirzzle thru the night til the ccb formed with the coastal and produced another 5" or so for my area

yes- that is what i remember as well.

The 12Z runs would indicate this has 12/03 type potential as far as what happened on the first day of the event...everyone thought it would be a rain-snow transition...looking at this event I see no reason why it may not surprise people again by being mostly snow now....I think the models may be a bit generous with the mid-level warming and its close anyway....the surface doesn't look to be an issue, the GFS MOS shows 37/29 over JFK at 18Z but thats with a 030 wind.

I lived in Morris Co. in 2002 and that storm will forever be etched in my memory for experiencing a progression of sleet > freezing rain > thunder > hail (yes - hail) > heavy snow. My favorite Jebwalk of all time was Christmas night. Wound up with about 8" on the backside (if I were to post this in the MA forum, there'd be a separate thread thanks to that phrase).

This storm doesn't seem THAT close as far as the early-goings are concerned. Then again, I did see a little tiny speck of black (convective precip) on the CoolWx graphic for the 12Z GFS:

post-828-0-99945200-1295893392.png

Interesting indeed. Down here in Monmouth we had about 2" of snow followed by heavy rain and temps in the low 40s. by mid-afternoon we had gone over to heavy snow and accumulated roughly 3" on the backside. Missed those bands that stayed over certain areas dumping 6+"

Total qpf lines

Chambersburg, PA to Harrisburg, to Hazleton, To Albany, NY

Gettysburg, PA to Lebanon, PA to Lehighton, PA to Hudson, NY

1"

Hagerstown, MD to just west of these cities Lancaster, PA to Reading to east stroudsburg, PA to Poughkeepsie, NY

Fredrick, MD to basically through cites for 1" in PA outlines above to Nazereth, PA to Newark, to NY and then south of LI

Germantown, MD running just east of Lancaster, Reading to Easton, PA cutting southeast accross NJ to Long Beach, NJ and out to sea

DC to Baltimore to Dover DE, To Slaisbury MD, back to the Chesapeake BAY and to DC

Not sure what site/source, but he does have paid access to some service...he's trying to get MMU as we speak...

I'd be interested in the service if he knows what it is. I have a paid service at the office, but it doesn't include the MOS output for the Euro.

Archived