northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Jan 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the 93-94 winter have 2 ice storms? I remember the Jan one, but for some reason I thought there was another one not quite as large. I remember my brother and I looking at the temps outside and seeing 17 degrees and it was pouring for the Jan. storm.

Yeah, there was another snow/sleet/ice event in January that was a lesser one but not small by any means. We had like 30 events that winter.

if my memory serves me correctly, at least at my latitude, there was no rain at all in Dec 2003. a matter of fact i drove from NYC to Philly that day and it snowed the entire ride until we arrived at Philly proper.

Started out as heavy rain, I distinkly remember Alan Casper on NJ 101.5 cancelling the storm to rain about 15 mins before all hell broke loose with heavy dynamic snows lasting all day.

It's very rare to see ZR in NYC with a bombing coastal storm. I have to imagine it will be a rain to snow event for NYC with dynamic cooling helping out.

Also, how does HPN only get 4.5" of snow based on GFS BUFKIT? They get 0.97" QPF and should be almost all snow with maybe a little sleet mixed in based on the temp profile on GFS.

Yeah this is not a freezing rain setup by any means, just the bufkit not really knowing what to make of the near isothermal freezing/just above layer during the storm.

As for HPN, the 12z bufkit shows only .48" liquid for HPN through the entire event. So the 4.5" makes sense there, but where do you see 0.97??

Check that: Sorry jconsor, 6z gfs was still loaded for kHPN for some reason. Everywhere else was the actual 12z gfs bufkit. So obviously, a much bigger storm than I depicted for HPN

hr 72 has a sub 988 low over the bm

nice ccb over the area

.25-1 precip range from about dc to nyc...850s are off the coast

Tombo -- Seems like the track is similar to the 00z run but with less qpf. Would that be right or not?

How do you feel about the Xmas 2002 analog?

Umm I guess it's not a bad analog at all looking at upper level maps and the airmass in place. Everything was a little more west with that though. It would probably be a very similar reason to why we would (if we do) change over to snow, the bombing coastal.

I remember they changed to freezing rain and thunder in northwest NJ and a good icestorm in the Hudson Valley as the storm started to bomb off the coast. Snow to start Christmas Eve night, then the snow on the backend obviously. 22" of snow fell at my Aunt's in Monroe NY around the icestorm and they could not make it to my Uncle's on Staten Island that Christmas. Great memories from that storm.

Archived