Pattern Change thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you find the CPC analogs?

http://www.cpc.ncep....comp_sup814.gif

Of course, the analogs only work if the GFS ensembles are accurate. :lol:

However, they have been in pretty decent agreement with the EC ensembles so I think there is higher than normal confidence for this two week period coming up in getting the general theme correct.

Personally I do not think it is out of the ordinary to have a 6-10 ten day warm up in Dec. I also see where all of them have NE in the ?? area, are we north of the gradient, they seem to think so. You hyped up what they were saying big time., but whatever, time will tell. No need to worry about a month from now.

true story.

If you roll the analog map I posted forward another week, it definitely looks like a milder period, but then after that, it looks like we go into a huge -NAO/-PNA pattern.

hmmm I wonder what would win out? -NAO or -PNA???

what's the EPO look like? How - is the PNA? How - is the NAO??

I'll gander and say the -PNA wins out...huge gradient over New England.

-NAO/-PNA winters are usually kind to our area.

1955-1956

1961-1962

1964-1965

1965-1966

1967-1968

1968-1969

1970-1971

1978-1979 (this one sucked for us)

1981-1982

2008-2009

You can see how common they were back in the 1960s...much rarer now but we may be going back to that type of regime.

Huge -NAO and -PNA could mean bigs snows in the northern half of NE I would think, and more marginal in southern NE, but maybe a very fun battle zone. Basically south of NY/NE it would be a hopeless pattern.

Huge -NAO and -PNA could mean bigs snows in the northern half of NE I would think, and more marginal in southern NE, but maybe a very fun battle zone. Basically south of NY/NE it would be a hopeless pattern.

Almost all -NAO/-PNA winters have been above avg snowfall in SNE...the lone exception is '78-'79 which ironically was good in the M.A.

I don't like all the talk from HM, Brian, Gibbs of a mid December torch for weeks. I was thinking Dec. would be cold and snowy all month before Jan got warm

Just keep this in mind....none of them foresaw this big -EPO/-NAO pattern that is about to dump major cold in to the CONUS (or if they did, they made no mention of it). Just look at the old threads from the past month on the old easternusw site. Though to his credit, HM has hinted for awhile that he thought late November would be a good period for the East.

-NAO/-PNA winters are usually kind to our area.

1955-1956

1961-1962

1964-1965

1965-1966

1967-1968

1968-1969

1970-1971

1978-1979 (this one sucked for us)

1981-1982

2008-2009

You can see how common they were back in the 1960s...much rarer now but we may be going back to that type of regime.

Wow...that isn't a bad list at all, except for the year you pointed out. I guess I could be happy with any of those years.

Yeah I think one thing we can probably say for certain is that NNE is going to get crushed this winter, I think they will see some big totals. Down to BOS and ORH I think it will be pretty decent, anywhere from just below to just slightly above average and then south of there...way below.

Almost all -NAO/-PNA winters have been above avg snowfall in SNE...the lone exception is '78-'79 which ironically was good in the M.A.

Lot's of 90+" and 100+" totals from the Chesterfield Co-op for the years you listed. A few slightly below but overall respectable showings.

Archived