• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

I believe the ec had the main event starting early afternoon Wednesday, not sure about the other models. All I know is the other thread was talking about the 00z euro being all snow with only brief sleet and a major snow event west of 495 and now this thread is talking about major taint issues on the 00z euro, so Im a little lost. :unsure:

Its a lot of snow N and W of 495 on the euro but there is def some sleet that gets in there...S of the pike near Kevin its a paint peeler for quite a bit of the storm.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both ch 7 and 5 have it changing over to rain in Boston. Cited the big difference in this storm over the last few is the high sliding out to the East.

Part of that reason is true but on local TV news when you have 7 minutes to do a weather segment you can't go through all the reasoning. Local TV Weather with all due respect is for the lowest common denominator who has ADD

Its a lot of snow N and W of 495 on the euro but there is def some sleet that gets in there...S of the pike near Kevin its a paint peeler for quite a bit of the storm.

will ... as far as "wiggle room" goes with this system regarding a more snow solution a tad further S or SE do you think there is much (room) ....?

will ... as far as "wiggle room" goes with this system regarding a more snow solution a tad further S or SE do you think there is much (room) ....and are you having moderate confidence in the way the evoluton of the storm transpires....(track) (no phase) at this point?

I have very little confidence in ptype for this storm. I do think interior will be frozen, but whether that is more sleet/ZR or mostly snow....I have no idea. Closer to the coast its even more difficult.

LAst nite they were all saying it was mostly snow except for a few hour period..now this morning the tune has changed

depends on where you live. some of the region the euro was a snowbomb. i was just commenting that if you weighted this thread to the population, i don't think a lot of folks would jump for joy with what the euro was showing at face value.

it's just one run though. by no means am i saying this is not a good storm for a good chunk of the area.

i just think this go around we are threading a needle more so than the past few events and it is too early to "la-la-lock it"

I think he must have snuck into his father's liquor cabinet because he told me to "shut up" last night. I remember my first drink. Hopefully, he will react better when he loses his virginity.

Regarding the NWS, I wholeheartedly agree. How any amateur can come on here and imply that the local NWS office is clueless is mindboggling to me. I think they do a fantastic job of forecasting and keeping the public informed.

This to me, is the most interesting timeframe - it's comming but exactly where by a few hundred miles / models being manic with bias, / people try to predict the future -truly awesome/ I It's been a wild ride &,,the trend says no stopping! I think some here might be starting to suffer,,, modelitis?

It's not much better to forecast a chance of snow showers right up until it's obvious there's a storm vs. calling for snow and sticking to it when there's a strong signal. I'm not trying to disprespect the NWS, but I am disappointed with several of their over-conservative forecasts over the past month or so imby.

I have very little confidence in ptype for this storm. I do think interior will be frozen, but whether that is more sleet/ZR or mostly snow....I have no idea. Closer to the coast its even more difficult.

Do you think whether it is mid-level warmth or surface it would be a more straight up coastal/interior or east/west divide to it as well?

depends on where you live. some of the region the euro was a snowbomb. i was just commenting that if you weighted this thread to the population, i don't think a lot of folks would jump for joy with what the euro was showing at face value.

it's just one run though. by no means am i saying this is not a good storm for a good chunk of the area.

i just think this go around we are threading a needle more so than the past few events and it is too early to "la-la-lock it"

Yeah by no means am I locking this one yet

NAM has really slowed this down now. We're looking at Thursday and precip hasn't even broken out yet.

it seems like wednesday at least day light could be a quiet day.

verbatim 12z nam it looks like precip starts to overspread the area around 9pm wed (2z thrus)

i do like the HP situation better by 18z wednesday .....more so than if the storm was still earlier (18z tues.....has it close by to our SE....) by 18z late wednesday .....it is at least to our ENE...with a new one pushing in from superior. (and the old Hp way way east of us sort of not effecting things any more)

I can't remember a storm that tracked just inside 40/70 and brought sleet so far nw. My guess is that there would be a sneaky warm layer above 850, but the euro verbatim probably would not bring it that far nw as depicted.

It does have a very warm source region, so that is something to consider. That would be a flesh remover for inland RI and SE CT.

I feel like guidance in general has slowed.

The good news is that it appears to allow some fresh cold to be tapped in the form of the new HP that will be parked in a favorable spot to drain ageo winds.

Max mentions La Nina winters....and for the Cape it has been disappointing. But most of us in the Boston area down through CT are so far above normal snow wise it's amazing. That doesn't happen all that often in La Nina years. If BOS gets only normal from here on out, we finish with 75.

Archived