Jump to content

mattie g

Members
  • Posts

    14,661
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mattie g

  1. Trying to play baseball in wet conditions is misery. It honestly can be a little dangerous for hitters if the pitchers aren’t confident/experienced because wet baseballs are incredibly slippery. Misty/drizzly all day here with around 1.25” since Friday. Great weekend to make chicken stock, apricot jalapeño pepper jelly, and pickled jalapeños!
  2. 93-94 and 95-96 in Lewisburg were absolutely killer.
  3. I could do without the nor’easter backing up like it looks like it’ll do. Neighborhood Oktoberfest with a great live band was setting up to take place on a glorious late-September Saturday…just hoping the rain holds off until after 7:00 pm when the party ends!
  4. Don’t have any trees of heaven on your property? Those things love TOH (I think they might be part of their natural habitat).
  5. Good storm in Burke again. This one is training over me. Had two big CTG lightning strikes while hanging on the porch. First was less than 200 yards away. The other was about 1/4 mile away.
  6. Terrible call. Lots of rain and some really nice gusts, plus the best light show I’ve seen in ages. With a late-night bourbon in hand after being dragged to Thursday night HS football, it actually might have been worth the wait!
  7. If I’m in a watch then yeah…they’re just handing them out like trophies at a youth soccer tournament.
  8. AC on until October in this house.
  9. We’ve got a dog who likes to whizz on the grass rather than on bushes or our fence, so we’ve got those dead spots, as well. I plan to get at the lawn during the second or third weekend of September. It’ll be the first time I’ve really done anything to it in quite a few years, so we’ll see what happens.
  10. That makes sense. I agree that sod scratches that need for satisfaction, but I’d like to try to make it work with seeding it. Just need to keep the dog off of it!
  11. Strange to have a Friday game to kick off the season, but I’ll take it. Spurs fan here…can’t be any worse than last year!
  12. As for lawns, I’ve got a huge bare spot in my backyard where we’ve had a 14’ diameter trampoline since Christmas. Trying to figure out if I want to try to fix it with seeding or go the sod route. The rest of the back lawn is a bit of a mess, so I’ll be aerating, laying down topsoil in spots, and overseeding to try to tidy it up.
  13. Have done some reading about this, and it seems that they like trees of heaven, which smell like shit and apparently make the lanternflies taste like shit. If an area doesn’t have too many of those trees, then the bugs are more readily predated upon. Sounds plausible to this non-entomologist.
  14. 2.13" yesterday at the closest CoCoRaHs. We've missed out quite a bit recently, so that was a very welcome win. Nice little downpour, as well, with that line a couple hours ago.
  15. Damn...just realized that I hadn't created this thread like I normally do from year to year. Garden is OK this year. L:eafy vegetables and herbs are doing great and my jalapenos are killer. Tomatoes are less than good. I got them started late and planted them a little later than ideal when they were smaller than I would normally plant them. I'm also noticeably not getting quite as much sun as in years past with neighbors' trees growing really tall and wide at this point, so that certainly can't help.
  16. Perfect-track, mild Nor'easters followed by cold shots after the storms pull away. I guess.
  17. Looks like MBY will end up with 0.00”. Congrats to the rest of you!
  18. Pretty much our only hope. I don’t even care if we get storms - I just want rain.
×
×
  • Create New...