• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

I posted this in the storm disco thread, but it applies here too... In GA, along and north of a line from Augusta to Peachtree City (DP that is you), are no where near done with this storm based on what is coming upstream, and SPC critical thickness.

Spot on. The snow line is moving SOUTH in GA. Ossman, to his credit, has been all over it.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read your posts about it, but never had heard it for myself until now... Thundersnow!!! How awesome! My kids had finally come down from their snow frenzey long enough to drift off to sleep...then woke up to rolling, roaring thunder. It scared them to death and are piled up in my bed. The sky is an eerie reddish color I've never seen before :snowwindow:

One of the most awesome sights I have ever seen was climbing out of Buffalo on a winter night during a storm. Cleared the cloud tops at about 18K feet and as we got about 5-6 thousand feet above them we saw this gigantic spider like

cloud to cloud bolt that just lit up the entire cloud deck for many miles....It rippled all around the very tops of the clouds.....Was the COOLEST example of TS I can possibly describe!

Spot on. The snow line is moving SOUTH in GA. Ossman, to his credit, has been all over it.

I noticed Ossman mentioned that tonoight as well. I was watching Channel 11 news just to see what the snow had done to ATL. and heard Ossman mention that the wedge could drive the snow line back southward. I hope that works out for us down here. Mostly sleet with some snow now. Coming down pretty good. Radar southwest of us looks pretty good right now. Hopefully, we can get some of this as snow. Eitehr way, I've got to get some sleep. Good luck to everyone!

Friend in ATL on Twitter just reported 5 inches - Snow still POURING down there in the Peachtree State. I think they may have a shot at 8-9 inches. Baroclinic leaf is not only holding together well - It is expanding in both areal coverage and intensity in the past three hours per natl radar.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Friend in ATL on Twitter just reported 5 inches - Snow still POURING down there in the Peachtree State. I think they may have a shot at 8-9 inches. Baroclinic leaf is not only holding together well - It is expanding in both areal coverage and intensity in the past three hours per natl radar.

http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

Sleet has kept me at around 5" for the past hour though there has been about 1/2" accum on a cleared board, so we're getting some compaction that will keep totals down a bit. It's still looking phenomenal for much of N GA over the next several hours, especially if we can continue snow instead of sleet.

I now have a sleet/snow mix starting to cover the deck :guitar:

Wahoo! Good for you :)

I've got good sleet after a horrid dry slot for hours. There is plenty downstream and we won't get our heaviest until the low comes by and we get that narrow but potent final band. Just hoping it won't be zrain :) All our rain storms for the past few years seem to train west and north of us for hour after hour, but when the low comes by our totals bump up pretty well. The Christmas storm was a day of rain and an inch in the last few hours.

I need a lot of sleet to coat my hill so I hope it stays filled in the rest of the night. And sure hope it stays snow/sleet for you. T

Archived