SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 21-22 Heavy Rain/Flooding/Severe? Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our agency Public Information Officer was on the Weather Channel this morning to discuss the flooding possibility. Keeping an eye out on it but its more of a wait and see type of situation for us.

You could be quite busy, especially in Central And Southern IN if those QPF maps come close to verifying. I know that our area is going to send close an inch of liquid equivalent snow melt down the Wabash before the heavy rains get going. It might be a good thing that the heavy rain didn't begin during the snow release or there would surely be some flash flooding concerns.

You could be quite busy, especially in Central And Southern IN if those QPF maps come close to verifying. I know that our area is going to send close an inch of liquid equivalent snow melt down the Wabash before the heavy rains get going. It might be a good thing that the heavy rain didn't begin during the snow release or there would surely be some flash flooding concerns.

That's our concern too. Its not something we want to necessarily want anyone to deal with right before Christmas. Local EMAs are going to be busy regardless. I am sure within the next 24 hours or so we will hear about some activation talk.

Yes sir. Along the mad river prior to entering into the Miami river. It's a floodplain that tends to leave me stranded for up to a couple days in situations like this. I'll post pictures if it gets bad...

I don't think the state's seen a situation like this in decades, actually.  Maybe January 1959?  January 2005 was very rainy and there was a lot of flooding, but it did not come all together over the course of a few days.  Even then, I remember the Scioto reaching heights of 2nd or 3rd highest historical crests from Columbus down to the Ohio.  They had to close the Franklinton floodwalls for that one.  But a good 3"-5" rain over the course of 2 days over a widespread area of the state, especially with frozen grounds and snowcover (no snowcover and unfrozen ground in 2005)... that happened in 1959.  That was the worst statewide flood since 1913. 

Yes sir. Along the mad river prior to entering into the Miami river. It's a floodplain that tends to leave me stranded for up to a couple days in situations like this. I'll post pictures if it gets bad...

sorry to hear that, hopefully the models are overdoing the precip.....sounds like you have a lot preparations ahead..   Goodluck to you

ILN

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A* FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF INDIANA...KENTUCKY AND OHIO...  INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN INDIANA...DEARBORN...  FAYETTE IN...FRANKLIN IN...OHIO...RIPLEY...SWITZERLAND...UNION  IN AND WAYNE. IN KENTUCKY...BOONE...BRACKEN...CAMPBELL...  CARROLL...GALLATIN...GRANT...KENTON...MASON...OWEN...PENDLETON  AND ROBERTSON. IN OHIO...ADAMS...AUGLAIZE...BROWN...BUTLER...  CHAMPAIGN...CLARK...CLERMONT...CLINTON...DARKE...DELAWARE...  FAIRFIELD...FAYETTE OH...FRANKLIN OH...GREENE...HAMILTON...  HARDIN...HIGHLAND...HOCKING...LICKING...LOGAN...MADISON...  MERCER...MIAMI...MONTGOMERY...PICKAWAY...PIKE...PREBLE...  ROSS...SHELBY...UNION OH AND WARREN.* FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING* A FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL FOCUS AN AREA OF HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS  THE REGION FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY NIGHT. IN ADDITION THE RECENT  MELTING OF SNOW HAS ELEVATED STREAMS SLIGHTLY AND WILL HELP  INCREASE THE FLOOD THREAT. RAINFALL TOTALS ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN  THE 1.5 TO 4 INCH RANGE WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.  THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL WILL OCCUR THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND EVENING  SATURDAY.* IMPACTS MAY INCLUDE FLOODED ROADS AS WELL AS WELL AS STREAMS  AND RIVERS EXCEEDING BANK FULL.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BASED ONCURRENT FORECASTS.YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE ALERT FOR POSSIBLEFLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING SHOULD BEPREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING DEVELOP.

Gfs has been getting a bad rap from snow lovers this whole storm but I have to say it has been incredibly consistent on qpf for this region the last 4 days. And I second the concern for frozen ground.

Flood inundation maps don't take in to account frozen ground and how that affects runoff flows... Hence a high level of uncertainty of how this event will evolve.

I think it's safe to say Findlay is going to be underwater from this. Really though the snowpack is huge here, ground completely frozen, rivers full of ice, what even 3" would do is devastating. I think this may be more remembered for the epic flooding event honestly, maybe not 1913 or 1957 level, but still it should be significant like what was seen around here in '07

I think it's safe to say Findlay is going to be underwater from this. Really though the snowpack is huge here, ground completely frozen, rivers full of ice, what even 3" would do is devastating. I think this may be more remembered for the epic flooding event honestly, maybe not 1913 or 1957 level, but still it should be significant like what was seen around here in '07

Agree!

The snowpack all the way from Michigan south will affect areas even further south that do not necessarily even have snow on the ground because of the increase water load from rivers to the north...

I remember that flooding event, driving through Findley seeing the flooding along side I-75, really incredible.

not much 'noise' in the local media about the flood threat.  Instead the local mets are gleefully talking up the coming warmth.   I think there are going to be some unpleasantly surprised people living in flood prone areas.   Because flood watches are hoisted so often in thunderstorm months, and often don't become warnings, I think there is a lot of complacency about all of this.

If the nam is right, we'll be spared here in central OH, outside of heavy rain.  If the gfs is right...holy sh*t

not much 'noise' in the local media about the flood threat.  Instead the local mets are gleefully talking up the coming warmth.   I think there are going to be some unpleasantly surprised people living in flood prone areas.   Because flood watches are hoisted so often in thunderstorm months, and often don't become warnings, I think there is a lot of complacency about all of this.

If the nam is right, we'll be spared here in central OH, outside of heavy rain.  If the gfs is right...holy sh*t

NWS Wilmington was one of the last to issue watches, which I thought was very late. It ticks me off that everyone plays flood threats down until their cities are under water. If we warned floods like we do for things like tornadoes, maybe floods wouldn't be at the top list of killers

Archived