joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22 Heavy Rain/Flooding/Severe? Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't get any agreement with QPF placement. What concerns me is how consistent the GFS has been with the precip shield not trending north. I've followed the more northern solutions since that has been the most popular among the models, but GFS has done well this fall.

just an FYI for those strictly sticking to this thread...

NOUS42 KWNO 200344
ADMNFD
SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0343Z FRI DEC 20 2013
00Z GFS IS ON SCHEDULE..
CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS
A REGIONAL CRITICAL WEATHER DAY...CWD...WILL BE DECLARED AT
1200Z SAT DEC 21 2013 AND EXTEND THROUGH 2359Z SUN DEC 22
DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL FROM TEXAS THROUGH THE OHIO
VALLEY..
THE FOLLOWING NWS REGIONS ARE IMPACTED BY THIS
CWD...SOUTHERN/CENTRAL. NCEP/NWSTG AND THE NCF ARE ALSO
PARTICIPATING IN THIS CWD TO ENSURE A RELIABLE FLOW OF
WEATHER DATA.

Yeah I am thinking a NW trend is on the agenda today.  All three model had a shift NW with the 6Z run.  GEM was significant.

my selfish side says I hope so, there's nothing intriguing to me, (even as a weather weenie), about 5" of rain.   Although I wish the best for those further nw who might have to deal with that.

Definitely not!  :frostymelt:   Snow pretty much gone from MBY.

yea, we hit close to 50 yesterday and I was shocked how fast the snowpack was destroyed.  I had guys out working yesterday and I was also surprised that the ground really wasn't frozen, other than a little bit on the surface in areas.  I  assume our snowpack must have insulated it pretty well.

my selfish side says I hope so, there's nothing intriguing to me, (even as a weather weenie), about 5" of rain.   Although I wish the best for those further nw who might have to deal with that.

I would not mind 5" of rain (I prefer it in summer with a major t-storm though).  Of course I don't have to deal flooding as Detroit would have to be 300' deep in water for MBY to begin to think about flooding. 

Yeah I am thinking a NW trend is on the agenda today.  All three model had a shift NW with the 6Z run.  GEM was significant.

I think 12z today should pretty much solidify what's going to happen with this system.  NW trend seems likely to me.  Seems like the surge of warmth northward is already more impressive than originally expected.   Forecasts from the last couple days had us not hitting the 50 mark until this afternoon and yet when I woke up it was 54 outside.   I still think 60 plus is do-able, especially if that nw bump verifies.

I think 12z today should pretty much solidify what's going to happen with this system.  NW trend seems likely to me.  Seems like the surge of warmth northward is already more impressive than originally expected.   Forecasts from the last couple days had us not hitting the 50 mark until this afternoon and yet when I woke up it was 54 outside.   I still think 60 plus is do-able, especially if that nw bump verifies.

Considering last Saturdays system inched northward too.  I think NW trend is likely too!

Considering last Saturdays system inched northward too.  I think NW trend is likely too!

my experience following winterstorms over the last 15 or so years on the models..... last minute nw trends are forecasts..... last minute se trends are wishcasts.

granted there have been a few exceptions, maybe this one will be.

That's probably from 00z guidance. 6z has definitely bumped nw a bit. Will have to see if it's a hiccup or a legit trend.

I really hope so, I really need my back yard to dry out. Since we've had snow cover since before thanksgiving, I still need to finish up the leaf removal in my back yard! The front was done, but not the back. Gotta get it done before we get more snow cover again.

For those of us in the immediate central Ohio area, the trend has been our friend...and unfortunately the enemy of those further nw.  Looking more and more like a 2" or less event in the cmh area whereas Findlay, Toledo, down thru central and southern IN could get those 4"+ amounts.

The model with the best QPF verification scores says you're getting 2.00"+. It's been fairly consistent with that theme. I'd probably plan on something close to that. But heaviest should be just to your NW...Toledo fair game for heavy totals.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42059-december-21-22nd-winter-storm-part-3/?p=2564528

The model with the best QPF verification scores says you're getting 2.00"+. It's been fairly consistent with that theme. I'd probably plan on something close to that. But heaviest should be just to your NW...Toledo fair game for heavy totals.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42059-december-21-22nd-winter-storm-part-3/?p=2564528

we'll see.  I'm going barely under 2"....  1.85" when all said in done for cmh.

NWS Wilmington was one of the last to issue watches, which I thought was very late. It ticks me off that everyone plays flood threats down until their cities are under water. If we warned floods like we do for things like tornadoes, maybe floods wouldn't be at the top list of killers

They've been mentioning the Flood Threat in their HWO since Monday. 

Archived