Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Stuffing and Snow - Late November Banter and Obs

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah put it in the book...over 200 hours out. (they actually change you over to rain verbatim but north of the pike might stay frozen)

The point here is at 7 days out..we're seeing all guidance trend colder and wintrier..as it should given the blocking and -NAO. This can and probably will morph into a fairly significant early season winter event for all of SNE..even the coast

The point here is at 7 days out..we're seeing all guidance trend colder and wintrier..as it should given the blocking and -NAO. This can and probably will morph into a fairly significant early season winter event for all of SNE..even the coast

There is a western trough though and the -NAO is east based...so there is room for this to cut. We'll need a well timed confluence zone to our north that would normally be there if we had a west based -NAO. Or hope that the main s/w is sheered as it ejects eastward.

I enjoyed Dickie but he didn't make up Montreal Express. It actually came from a Boston Gas commercial from the early 1970s.

"Boston Gas Heat is the only way to beat the Montreal Express". A whole song with it.

Dickie didn't come to Boston until after I left at the tail end of 1976. Bad timing...lol.

nice history lesson - interesting stuff but, I only stated that he used it smile.png

Will be cold enough for the Cape and Islands to see OES?

Yeah the ocean is still quite warm relative to an air mass like that. The 850mb temperature dips below -10C , making the SST to LCL delta-T rather extreme, so streets will develop fairly close to shore... If the wind trajectory can back into a 350 type direction as opposed to all the way around to 290, you have a decent shot at being clipped on the outer cape by a band. In fact, looking at the QPF on the 18z GFS, it's printing out measurable in orientation down there.

Thanks. The rule of thumb from wind is simple. But the mixing down of wind from above is a little more complicated. Is it just that the surface is that much warmer than the cold air rushing in above. Creating a steep lapse rate? Allowing for winds from above to mix down?

Differential thickness advection does cool from the top down, and when that occurs, parcels will lift because the lapse rate exceeds 9.8C/km in the vertical. Air rises, air must descend to compensate, as mass is never lost or destroyed in the system. But if the wind above is moving laterally are some velocity, that momentum is conserved when the downward compensating mass is delivered.

Hence the Met expression "momentum transfer" - I'm sure you've had to have learned of this in the past. Some simple differentials can describe this mathematically, but it's also intuitive in nature.

How much snow are we looking at down here, any predictions yet? We might see our yearly climo snowfall here before Jan 1!!snowing3.gif

Blocking...ftw

not to be a douche but there really isn't a lot of blocking there, per se - there is a nice west-based EPO ridge that's blocking, sure, but mostly what that image shows is above normal heights. The isopleths are actually not that curvilinear in construct, though

not to be a douche but there really isn't a lot of blocking there, per se - there is a nice west-based EPO ridge that's blocking, sure, but mostly what that image shows is above normal heights. The isopleths are actually not that curvilinear in construct, though

Over the Aletuins and Greenland sure

Great lesson on the Euro op and ensembles about the importance of whether the NAO is west based or east based. While the op Euro shows nice NAO ridging... it's not nice for us!

It's possible we see the ridging retrograde or set up more over Greenland than Iceland. Still 200+ hours to go but right now it looks like our winter threat near the 28th may be a cutter.

Here is the Eastern thread and you posted in it. Kevin had cancelled the Windex that morning, they never work out, then in the afternoon was chucking them in everyone's eye. http://www.easternus...d/page__st__580

Cool thread to go back and read... one of my favoite events of the last few years

Great lesson on the Euro op and ensembles about the importance of whether the NAO is west based or east based. While the op Euro shows nice NAO ridging... it's not nice for us!

It's possible we see the ridging retrograde or set up more over Greenland than Iceland. Still 200+ hours to go but right now it looks like our winter threat near the 28th may be a cutter.

Ride the KFS.

I saw a def sign of winter earlier today. I had to head back to Leominster this afternoon for conferences and I was on Rte 2 East going through Westminster. There is an area where the road cts into a hill and the folks put crushed rock along the side of the hill. This is north facing and is somewhat shaded.

At 3:15PM, the frost from this morning was still there. Never got sun, never melted. Schweet

I saw a def sign of winter earlier today. I had to head back to Leominster this afternoon for conferences and I was on Rte 2 East going through Westminster. There is an area where the road cts into a hill and the folks put crushed rock along the side of the hill. This is north facing and is somewhat shaded.

At 3:15PM, the frost from this morning was still there. Never got sun, never melted. Schweet

We are starting to get some frost in the ground here now with these continuous teen's low 20's nights and the high 30's low 40's days, Frost is hanging around on the shade and north facing sides

Whoomp...dere it is... I also had frost on my car in the lot at 8:20... First time this year (usually in a garage)

Archived