joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I would like to see some well inland impact like the GFS shows my gut feeling tells it is out too lunch. I would favor climo scenario with any meaningful impact limited no further west than Raleigh NC to Florence SC. It will book it north-east leaving the upstate of SC high and dry.

Not here ... you ever dealt with it?

Looks nice on a model; not in real life. 'Canes don't "melt" like snow. The aftermath is horrible. Next week, next month, next year ....

My 2¢

As much as I would like to see some well inland impact like the GFS shows my gut feeling tells it is out too lunch. I would favor climo scenario with any meaningful impact limited no further west than Raleigh NC to Florence SC. It will book it north-east leaving the upstate of SC high and dry.

If anything forms it's out to sea. But we'll see.

0z GFS actually held serve pretty well with it's inland track. Appears to be further inland at the same time versus 12z, really going to ruin race weekend and beach plans for folks if the rain totals are close to what's being shown. BTW... 0z Canadian is OTS.

RAH disco...

The12z ECMWF is now much farther south with the low compared to its 00zrun, and is now in better agreement with the GFS, which shows thelow center coming ashore somewhere along the SC coast. Bothsolutions suggest the chances for a prolonged period of cloudy anddamp weather for central NC is increasing, thus will continue theupward trend in our POPs for the period from Saturday night throughat least Monday.  In fact, if the latest ECMWF solution verifies, itcould possibly remain cloudy, damp (perhaps even wet), and breezyfrom Sunday right through Monday and even into Tuesday. For now,given the uncertainties and low confidence, will keep pops limitedto the chance range Saturday night through Tuesday; but if you haveoutdoor plans this holiday weekend, you'll definitely want to payclose attention to the forecast!  

MHX

Saturday through Tuesday...Better agreement amongst the GFS/ECMWFand Canadian showing surface low pressure forming off the GA/SCborder. Given very weak mid-level flow...the low will basicallymeander to our south for a few days. Moisture increases with lowPoPs returning to the immediate coast late Friday night and overall areas Saturday into Tuesday. In conjunction with neighorboringoffices and uncertainty...have kept Pops generally in the 30-40percent range through the period. With the increased cloudcoverage, expecting a small diurnal temperatures variation throughthis period with lows generally upper 60s to around 70 and highsaround 80 degrees. 

And, the NHC...

SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL335 PM EDT TUE MAY 24 2016For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:1. An area of showers and thunderstorms over the western Atlantic Oceannear and northeast of the Bahamas is associated with theinteraction of an upper-level trough and a weakening cold front.While development is not expected for the next couple of days,environmental conditions could become more conducive for sometropical or subtropical development by Friday. This area ofdisturbed weather is expected to move slowly west-northwestward ornorthwestward and gradually approach the southeastern UnitedStates over the next few days. The next Special Tropical WeatherOutlook will be issued by 4 PM EDT Wednesday.* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percentForecaster Blake

06Z GFS keeps the low weak and almost non existent in the last few runs, the 00Z CMC was a decent hit for eastern NC and had another low east of Bahamas at the end of the run...given the setup would think GFS more likely than the CMC.

That said the NHC has bumped the 5 day chance of development up to 50% 

SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
815 AM EDT WED MAY 25 2016

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. An area of cloudiness and showers over the western Atlantic Ocean
northeast of the Bahamas is associated with the interaction of an
upper-level trough and a weakening front. While development is not
anticipated for the next couple of days, environmental conditions
are expected to become more conducive for tropical or subtropical
development on Friday. This area of disturbed weather is forecast to
move slowly west-northwestward or northwestward and gradually
approach the southeastern United States over the weekend. The next
Special Tropical Weather Outlook will be issued by 8 PM EDT tonight.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent

I thought the big high over NE and off the Atlantic coast, was going to force it to go WNW, after landfall?

There really is no big high in NE, looks like it slips up the west side of the Bermuda High as a "front" with a GL low and another low in the mid west works its way east. Pretty typical for this time of the year.....actually has some winds over 35 in eastern NC lol...need the NHC to classify it a invest so they can start running the HWRF and GFDL on it. 

And then I go and see they actually have declared it 91L ( was wondering why 91 then remembered our Jan hurricane) so we should get some hi res model runs of it at 18Z

It's very unlikely but it does ride the entire Gulf Stream and the hurricane models warm the ocean up very quickly early June...at least up to VA anyways.

Before

CjgK-IAWUAEXsIT.jpg

After

CjgK-IAWsAEj9qa.jpg

Go here and click on buoys all of them are 50's with a few low 60's, those maps you posted look great but the buoys say no chance north of Hatteras even with the storm hauling ass it will die as soon as it hits the waters off NC. The ocean off VA Beach is only mid 60's. Its not even remotely possible for a TS much less a cane to hit NE right now.  

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Northeast.shtml

Archived